Hattons announce 10 exclusive limited editions Austerity/J94 by DJModels

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Just been watching 'Sixties Steam Revisited, a DVD by Transport Video Publishing. It includes footage of Hurricane at work in Bickershaw colliery. It is a splendic DVD too, especially if you lived in the north west.

As I try and restrict myself to only ever buying models with an Isle of Wight connection this used to be quite a cheap hobby for me. Not so these days! Firstly there's all the goodies I've got on pre-order with Kernow and now it looks like I won't be able to resist adding 'Royal Engineer' to my collection... :)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the army re-numbered Royal Engineer? The model is (quite correctly, I'm sure) numbered 98 but I think she's been 198 ever since she arrived at Havenstreet.

Interestingly I see Kernow have just sent out in their newsletter the 'new' Hornby issue of the J94 as NCB loco, Kent coalfields, No 12, in blue.

Deliberate spoiler?  Oh, I think so..............

As it looks to be the same old spec. Hornby model, poor above and below footplate detail, incorrect balance weight positioning, even though they have it at £73.50, I will be waiting for one of Dave's!

Edited by Adams442T

Interestingly I see Kernow have just sent out in their newsletter the 'new' Hornby issue of the J94 as NCB loco, Kent coalfields, No 12, in blue.

Deliberate spoiler?  Oh, I think so..............

As it looks to be the same old spec. Hornby model, poor above and below footplate detail, incorrect balance weight positioning, even though they have it at £73.50, I will be waiting for one of Dave's!

It was announced in Dec 2013. Quite how it is a spoiler I don't know when it has been a long running Hornby production model.

Or does every thread on this forum have to have somebody having cheap jibes at Hornby?

I think there are more than this Les, Cathryn the HC side tank at Wirksworth is being restored with its stoker equipment.

Several of the locos that went to Embsay had them in including Monckton No.1 HE3788 and HE3168.  HE3788 had its stoker working at one of the Embsay galas in the 1980s.

The stoker unit at Statfold is from Coal Products No.6 HE3883 now running as Lord Phil at Peak Rail.

No.4 the one being produced by DJModels /Hattons sheared the leading LHS driving wheel off whilst at Backworth. 

• RMweb Gold

It was announced in Dec 2013. Quite how it is a spoiler I don't know when it has been a long running Hornby production model.

Or does every thread on this forum have to have somebody having cheap jibes at Hornby?

Of course, it does depend on whether Hornby can actually deliver the locomotive to market.

Market rules dictate that a competitor can bring an upgraded product to the marketplace. That product might have greater product appeal, be cheaper/costlier, have better features. Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware.

If the DJM model is more in keeping with what the market would like, then it's up to Hornby to raise their game. They did so with the class 08 diesel.

No real jibes at Hornby, just wish they could 'make it happen'. It would appear that Hornby have sometimes been playing catch-up, Dave appears to have made enough of an impact, to spurt Hornby into action. It does appear that we are all awaiting (me included) the appearance of the first DJM product. There's enough interest to engage Hattons, so someone must like what they've seen.

If Hornby can raise the bar, then fine. I'm sure we will see soon enough. If not, there is a lot of kit out there, just waiting to be scanned. We all know Hornby can turn out a cracker of any model, when it suits them.

Regards,

Ian

• Like 2

Not meant to be a 'cheap jibe' at all.  A 'spoiler' in the sense of having little or no chance of winning huge new orders but capable of depriving a rival of success. You may not personally think that it's any more than a coincidence that this 'long running model' is released with an NCB livery following DJM's announcement of his J94.  I beg to differ, that's all.

I really wish that Hornby would get their act together.  My loco stock, especially the SR varieties, show a far greater bias towards Hornby, rather than anyone else, and I will await their Adams Radial with keen anticipation.  But if they foul it up, and/or the Oxford one is better, I won't be buying the Hornby one. 

I am not a 'Hornby Basher', but equally I find their lack of communications with retailers and customers, poor delivery quotas, and extended production fiascos quite dire.

• RMweb Gold

I don't really need any more Austerities, but oh, how I want, I really do want...! Lovely stuff!

Yes, there I was happy with the locos for Lulworth and they go and do a military one, then model rail announce a USA tank in LMR (Lulworth Military Rly), well really! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

The dished wheels, the face of the engine, and the cab windows look good to me, but I hope that the square of plastic round the plumbing, under the cab, will not be present on the production model. If so I will be dremmeling this on Hurricane as soon as it arrives!

Edited to remove ipad autocorrections.

Edited by bigd

The dished wheels, the face of the engine, and the cab windows look good to me, but I hope that the square of plastic round the plumbing, under the cab, will not be present on the production model. If so I will be dream elink this on Hurricane as soon as it arrives!

Hi mate,

Fear not, the plastic won't be there. It's only there at the moment as a support within the 1st EP tooling.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hmmm, how do I put this... bugger...

Somehow I'd managed to miss/avoid this thread, and now I want one. :senile:  :jester:

It'd be a handy station pilot for my layout. Not quite fitting/location (BR/SR steam era) BUT, I had a Triang Saddle tank as my first ever loco, and this would provide a nice albeit MUCH more detailed/improved reminder of days gone by :)

Think I can "get by" using it as a station pilot?? Rule#1 I guess...

Edited by Ian Abel

Looks rather substantial for vapourware.  How are the naysayers going to claim it doesn't exist now?

Les

REAL question- will 71515 be high gloss and vacuum fitted as preserved or rather more matt and without as at Swalwell in service?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks rather substantial for vapourware.  How are the naysayers going to claim it doesn't exist now?

Les

REAL question- will 71515 be high gloss and vacuum fitted as preserved or rather more matt and without as at Swalwell in service?

I think the owner might like to see 71515 'as is'. However........

Ian 

I think the owner might like to see 71515 'as is'. However........

Ian 

Ah well, if it is high gloss there's always matt or satin varnish. 

post-13358-0-65073200-1420282679_thumb.jpg

This is the finish I remember.  Probably too late now but note the double top lamp iron.

All the very best

Les

Do you think Hornby could be persuaded to release hoppers weathered to the state of those on the right?

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

you could try buying not only all 10 but the rest too, and having the most outrageous J94 collection in existence.

lots more to come over the following years, and i'm finding odd ball ones still.

How about a PLA version (and before anyone jumps on my head - I know they were Austerity's and not J94's...).

Cheers

Jan

• Like 1

How about a PLA version (and before anyone jumps on my head - I know they were Austerity's and not J94's...).

Cheers

Jan

Or even an ex-PLA like this one, since you are doing Geisl ejectors....

post-13358-0-59215700-1434565853_thumb.jpg

NCB 44 (ex-PLA 81) at Whittle Colliery after they'd worn it out.

Les

• Like 2

• 4 months later...