Bill and Jason's Excellent UK Adventure

rapidotrains

Everytime I see that website I can't help but think of sitting down at the VIA station in Kingston and watching the trains. Sadly now of course living in Calgary the closest VIA station is in Edmonton, although we did get the VIA Grey Cup train a couple of years ago! However even when I have been back to Kingston since moving out west I still haven't gone down there as it isn't same since a friend of mine, who I used to watch trains with, passed away :(

Here you go:

post-206-0-87039200-1418386814.jpg

post-206-0-53388300-1418386846.jpg

post-206-0-42158000-1418386862.jpg

Adrian (still a Kingston boy at heart, despite living in the Greater Toronto Megopolis)

Never got to see a FPA-4 there, they had all been retired by the time I moved to the Kingston area. I was lucky enough to be pulled by them, as well as a FP9A, F9B combo (6513+6613) between Windsor and Burlington where I would transfer to the RDC to St.Catharines. Oh how I miss those days of variety. At least with Rapido I get to recapture some of it even if it is only in HO gauge.

So Adrian when did you leave Kingston?

Never got to see a FPA-4 there, they had all been retired by the time I moved to the Kingston area. I was lucky enough to be pulled by them, as well as a FP9A, F9B combo (6513+6613) between Windsor and Burlington where I would transfer to the RDC to St.Catharines. Oh how I miss those days of variety. At least with Rapido I get to recapture some of it even if it is only in HO gauge.

So Adrian when did you leave Kingston?

Left in '83 to go to University. Left for good in '88, but my parents still live there and the family cottage is an hour north of town, so I'm back there frequently.

Adrian

Here you go:

attachicon.gifFPA_4_6779_Kingston_1983.jpg

attachicon.gifLRC_6907_Kingston_1983.jpg

attachicon.gifLRC_6911_Kingston_1983.jpg

Adrian (still a Kingston boy at heart, despite living in the Greater Toronto Megopolis)

Need... to see... more... 1980s Kingston photos!!!

Sorry I've covered the keyboard with drool.  Do you have any good photos of the station building?

-Jason

Need... to see... more... 1980s Kingston photos!!!

Sorry I've covered the keyboard with drool.  Do you have any good photos of the station building?

-Jason

Regrettably, no. It wasn't an inspiring piece of architecture.

I really only got to the station when meeting someone or seeing them off, which wasn't often. I could watch trains from high school (Frontenac SS). I also didn't have a decent camera until after I had gone to Toronto for university.

About the only other railway-related part of Kingston I have photos of is the grain elevator, and that is mostly for the ships that were stored there in the mid-'80s.

post-206-0-86119900-1418612472.jpg

post-206-0-93270100-1418612483.jpg

post-206-0-32788500-1418612490.jpg

Adrian

I remember that silo, got demolished and part of it become a high end housing area.

I have in my collection a couple of shots my dad took, one was an LRC hauling blue cars in Toronto, another was an FPA-4 at Walkerville (aka Windsor), when he was waiting to pick me up at the station.

I still kick myself for not having a camera at that time, I missed out on so many VIA goodies that are long gone.

Archived