Slow DCC and DC running on Hornby Class 50

letterspider

Sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere. I have read through the forums but can't find an answer to this question.

I have a Class 50 DCC Sound bought 2nd hand. It is Illustrious, so a later model.

On DC it goes really very slowly, basically crawling along

On DCC it goes very well in Reverse with all the sounds working as they should but going Forward it goes very slow, again crawling along.

Removed the DCC chip and put in the DCC blanking plate. Ran it on DC and it is again slow in both directions.

I've read the CV's from 1 to 6 and they are at factory defaults

I am out of ideas. My guess is that there is a problem with the PCB but I don't think there is much chance in finding a replacement.

My initial suggestion, starting with the simplest things, is to apply some lube to the gearing and drive shafts.  If it's secondhand, it might have been sitting around un-run for a long time.  I recently did this to some of my Dad's locos that ran very poorly and it solved the problem.  

http://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1994

Okay, the problem was solved by writing to CV 8 and resetting to defaults.

However while playing with my Hornby eLink I found that the colour of the SHUNT button ON/OFF gets confused. I suspect the previous owner may have left it in SHUNT mode. However that does not explain why it was in SHUNT mode in one direction only.

Just want to finish off by saying this is a really nice model :)

By coincidence I was just searching on this very topic, I've also got a Hornby 50, 50018, which I bought second hand and has always run very slowly in DC (I'm not DCC) and I was wondering if it was an endemic problem. It goes a little faster than crawling and is not really a problem for me as I have a terminus layout but wouldn't be acceptable if I was running a through layout.  If anyone's got a solution I'd be glad to hear it.

• 1 month later...

Archived