BR Flatrol MVV diagram 2/512

macgeordie

A bit of progress with the test build. This is actually a replacement etch from PPD, the first one they sent was  little under etched so the slots and tabs didn't fit. To give them their due though, I got the replacement in just a couple of days after I asked for it. I've decided to fit just four shackles to this wagon as I have seen (and ordered) a nice cast kit for a fairground diesel generator set in RM which will make a very nice load for this wagon. Here are a couple of pics of the actual shackles on the real wagon along with the ones I have fitted to mine. attachicon.gifP1040587b.jpg As you can see, the shackle is barely visible when it hasn't been lifted out for use. attachicon.gifP1040590b.jpg attachicon.gif_MG_1095b.jpg attachicon.gif_MG_1098b.jpg

Looking good so far. Will send the photos (the file size isn't that big)

When I designed my one choose to have a wood floor along with having to push out all the rivets ( there's just one or two!)

When I find time to do one for myself I'm putting a Langley digger which I've still to build

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to get the buffer beams and brake gear done over the last couple of days.

I used a couple of cocktail sticks in the buffer holes to keep the main bufferbeam overlay in line while I soldered the coupling hook and the hook overlay in position.

post-6711-0-96653000-1418671029_thumb.jpg

The suspension hanger wires are now in place.

post-6711-0-16847900-1418671119_thumb.jpg

The brake blocks are made up of three layers. These ones make up into the ribbed variety, there are enough of the centre piece on the fret to allow the non ribbed version of the brake block to be assembled if required. Both versions of the blocks were used on the real wagons and were mixed and matched.

post-6711-0-79357900-1418671166_thumb.jpg

The blocks once assembled. 

post-6711-0-29215200-1418671303_thumb.jpg

This is the complete brake hanger and block assembly ready for soldering.

post-6711-0-43257200-1418671354_thumb.jpg

This is the completed assembly.

post-6711-0-79821500-1418671417_thumb.jpg

This is the brake assembly plus the NEM pocket fitted to the wagon.

post-6711-0-73333100-1418671533_thumb.jpg

This is the brake assembly on the real wagon. I didn't bother putting the safety brackets on as I thought that would be just TOO fiddly.

post-6711-0-44229700-1418671658_thumb.jpg

Not far to go now, I might even get it finished in the next couple of days.

The white metal generator set I ordered came the other day, so I think I'll have a go at that this evening while I watch the TV.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Mmmmmmm

Very tasty Ian.

I gather you like it Iain !!!

I got the well end overlays, handwheels and suspension cushion plates fitted yesterday evening

I use a couple of bits of wood to hold the curved section in place after I've soldered the top, flat piece. That way it stays where you want it and you don't burn your pinkies.

post-6711-0-39886200-1418833389_thumb.jpg

The plates for the cushioning is a one piece 'fold up'. Initially I had these as separate pieces, but it was almost impossible to get everything to stay in line as you solder it so I opted for this method instead. The cushion itself ( I think it is a rubber pad on the real wagon) is represented by a piece of 600gsm quality card. I tried a cheaper card at first, but it just broke up when it was cut as the piece you need is only 1.7 x 2.7mm. Once it is all put together, the hole drilled through the card and slid onto the shaft, a drop of solder holds it all in place and the excess wire is cut off leaving a bit to represent the threaded rod on the real one.

post-6711-0-02974100-1418833696_thumb.jpg

This is the assembly on the real wagon

post-6711-0-96004100-1418833735_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the other type of brake block, this one has no ribbing and is on the same wagon as the picture in the earlier post.

post-6711-0-35758100-1418833813_thumb.jpg

I made up one of the generator sets which is very simple. I started painting it yesterday evening and it takes longer to paint than it did to build it, even though I left it as sub assemblies to make it easier.

post-6711-0-49281900-1418833959_thumb.jpg

I'll try to get the springs and axle boxes on later and I think I'll put a through pipe on this wagon too. Just got the wooden baulk parts to fit then.

Ian

Very nice Ian,

I'd be interested in one when you are happy with them providing you've left enough room to accommodate P4 wheels.

Pics of 083671 that has been a long time resident at Eastleigh T&RSMD Campbell Road (the diesel depot, not the works)

It is used on a regular basis to move anything and everything around the depot. Note the additional ratchet strap mounts.

Regards, Tom

post-23858-0-05962600-1418852634_thumb.jpgpost-23858-0-91641000-1418852668.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom

Thanks for the photos, they are very useful. The ratchet strap tighteners must have been added a long time after the wagon was built as straps weren't commonly used until the 1970's and the wagons were supplied with chains and screw coupling tighteners from new. 

I have provided brake hanger brackets on the fret to suit 00 and EM/P4 wheel spacing. I haven't built one to the P4 wheel spacing, but there is plenty of room for the wheels. You might struggle to fit a compensation unit unless you use an inside bearing type, but if you file the tip off the axle you get sufficient side movement to give some compensation naturally. If you decide you want one please let me know and I'll add you to the list.

Ian

Yes please Ian, put me down for one.

Funnily enough, the other long time internal user wagon in the depot is this one - B901702. Again, can usually be found carrying coach bogies around the depot.

Let's see if this one is the right way around .....

Please let me know if you need any additional photos or measurements from either wagon.

Tom

post-23858-0-80525700-1418913669_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom

Thanks for the photo, I hadn't realised that there was still a Trestrol EO in existence. It is looking a bit worse for wear now though and I see they have fitted a through pipe for the air brakes as well.

I'm ordering some more etches for this wagon kit with the Flatrol etches so if you want one let me know.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Yes please Ian, put me down for one.

Funnily enough, the other long time internal user wagon in the depot is this one - B901702. Again, can usually be found carrying coach bogies around the depot.

Let's see if this one is the right way around .....

Please let me know if you need any additional photos or measurements from either wagon.

Tom

Can you not take the picture with the tablet upside down??

Mike.

Can you not take the picture with the tablet upside down??

Mike.

Ha ha yeah, the pictures are from my iPhone and when I save them they are the right way round. I have no idea why they spin themselves through 180° when posted.

Ian, I'll start with the flatrol first and see how I get on.

Regards, Tom

• RMweb Premium

Finally got it finished, all I have to do now is paint it.

I got the springs, axle boxes and vac pipe fitted yesterday and assembled the 'Baulk' components today.

I won't be supplying the wood with the kits as most people won't want to fit the baulks anyway.

post-6711-0-38317400-1419007160_thumb.jpg

Partial assembly

post-6711-0-50592300-1419007166_thumb.jpg

The assembled unit placed in position on the wagon, it will be glued in place when the wagon is painted.

post-6711-0-47469500-1419007172_thumb.jpg

post-6711-0-93531600-1419007178_thumb.jpg

I will be contacting everybody who has requested a kit via the messenger system in a few days.

Ian

Ian

I've already put my name down for one but just a couple of queries if I may.....will you supply the details of the sizes of the bulks in the building instructions so the builder has the option of adding to the model if preferred and will the etch include the bulk strapping shown in the pic's above?

Cheers

Doug

• RMweb Premium

Ian

I've already put my name down for one but just a couple of queries if I may.....will you supply the details of the sizes of the bulks in the building instructions so the builder has the option of adding to the model if preferred and will the etch include the bulk strapping shown in the pic's above?

Cheers

Doug

Hi Doug, answer is Yes and Yes, the only thing I won't supply is the wood.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Doug, answer is Yes and Yes, the only thing I won't supply is the wood.

Cheers, Ian

Could you supply the wood, if requested?

Waiting my PM.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Could you supply the wood, if requested?

Waiting my PM.

Phil

Hi Phil

It's not worthwhile supplying the wood, all you need is about a foot of 5mm x 4mm and six inches of 5mm x 3mm. You can get this quite easily from a model shop or diy shop. You could even use Evergreen plastic section if you wanted to as it will need to be painted anyway. The stuff I used was just some pieces I had lying the bits box (for the last 30 years).

Ian

Archived