Westhoughton Goods Yard

Hello All. I was a Signalbox Lad at Wigan Wallgate in 1965 and Hindley No. 2 1966. Then Signalman at Bickershaw Junction on my 18th birthday in 1966, then Westhoughton Goods Yard 1967, Golborne Station 1968, Golborne Junction 1970 and Westhamstead Midland 1972. I have photographs of all except Westhoughton Goods Yard can anyone help and give me permission to use it in my about to be published memoires. Many regards from the Costa del Sol.

I lived at Westhoughton for 10 years and didn't know it had once had a goods yard!

Hi, as you go towards Bolton from Westhoughton Station the Goods Yard Signalbox was on the right side (Down Line) just before the A6 road bridge, there was a crossover in front of the box. Beyond the bridge there were up and down loops either side of the running line with a ground frame entrance off the Down loop into the Metal Box factory. The Down Loop was also worked under the 'Permissive Block System' and theoretically could have up to 8 trains in section at any given time although I never had more than 3.

Off the Up Loop there was a 2 line siding into the 'Bone Works, boy did it smell sometimes, there were blue bottles as big as sparrows. The animal bones were conveyed in open 45T coal wagons and deposited maggots onto the track which I recall the fishermen of the PWay Dept collecting. I can not recall the name of the next Signalbox but it was only open on short shifts and when closed we worked to Lostock Junction.  

The next Box towards Wigan was Crows Nest Sidings but this was rarely open so we worked to Crows Nest Junction (Old) Box.

Regards, GordonF

Hi Gordon,

Westhoughton, I have fished there many times and Fan lodge, I think the Bickershaw water as called windham pool opposite ( I think) the Queens Arms and also Widows flash, I was told there was a railway connection there at some time in the past.

Peter A L

• 2 months later...

Hello All. I was a Signalbox Lad at Wigan Wallgate in 1965 and Hindley No. 2 1966. Then Signalman at Bickershaw Junction on my 18th birthday in 1966, then Westhoughton Goods Yard 1967, Golborne Station 1968, Golborne Junction 1970 and Westhamstead Midland 1972. I have photographs of all except Westhoughton Goods Yard can anyone help and give me permission to use it in my about to be published memoires. Many regards from the Costa del Sol.

Hi Gordon

I have lived in Golborne since 1970 so after the staion was demolished. The population of the town has grown incredibly with new housing estates still being built. We could definitely do with that station now.

I would be very interested in your published memories, if you need help with layout, typesetting, publishing please let me know.

All the best

Pete

I was born in Westhoughton in 1961. I don't remember the goods shed but I do remember the signal box. My granddad lived on the north side of the A6 and we used to walk on the footpath at the top of the cutting to get to his house. I recall the box was accessed by a wooden walkway from the A6. The site of the goods yard was an electricity substation by the mid 70's. The Metal Box siding has now disappeared under houses. I have only seen one photo of the Westhoughton station area and that was a rather poor shot of the old station building in 'Railways in and around Bolton' by Bill Simpson

Regards,

John P

Archived