Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Superb news. The old 48xx line is very long in the tooth and this model will be excellent for GWR/WR modelers. Also the BR versions should tie in well with Bachmann's forthcoming Hawksworth Autocoach.

Hattons have an impressive list of variants and liveries announced including unusual ones such as lined BR black (hello Ashburton :)). It is also good to note they have already accounted for variations such as top-feeds and whistles. Clearly someone has been perusing Peto's register. ;)

Now all we need is proper GWR-period auto-coach. The ex-Airfix offering is showing its age as well as its hybrid origins.

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 4

A wonderful announcement! Well done Hattons and DJM, is this the start of a GWR range I wonder.......

Being slightly synical I wonder if the announcement has been made today after Hornby's statement yesterday :scratchhead:  

Edited for spelling mistake

Edited by QuoitsPlayer
  • Like 3

I'm sorry to p... on people's chips because I like Dave Jones and wish him well in his ventures, BUT we have yet to see a finished product hit the market  and I think it would be better to hold back on the announcements until a couple of the promises are fulfilled.

Ed

Edited by edcayton

I'm sorry to p... on people's chips because I like Dave Jones and wish him well in his ventures, BUT we have yet to see a finished product hit the market  and I think it would be better to hold back on the announcements until a couple of the promises are fulfilled.

Ed

This is Hattons as a leading stockist announcing that Dave has been awarded the project (along with the King, J94s etc) so it's their call. Don't forget that other manufacturers have produced for them so they're reasonably experienced on this score.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to p... on people's chips because I like Dave Jones and wish him well in his ventures, BUT we have yet to see a finished product hit the market and I think it would be better to hold back on the announcements until a couple of the promises are fulfilled.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I understand your concerns. However my reply must by that although for the moment you are correct, the revised Beattie is but a couple of months away with the O2 hot on its heals with the J94 right behind that.

Also if the 2 of the biggest retailers decide that they have faith in me, then I would hope that that would assuage your concerns.

These guys aren't into throwing their money away and are shrewd business men.

They are certainly not mugs and know where and when to spend their money, even if it's with someone like me with no background in designing and bringing to market, award winning models! ;-)

Cheers

Dave

• Like 19

Hi Ed,

I understand your concerns. However my reply must by that although for the moment you are correct, the revised Beattie is but a couple of months away with the O2 hot on its heals with the J94 right behind that.

Also if the 2 of the biggest retailers decide that they have faith in me, then I would hope that that would assuage your concerns.

These guys aren't into throwing their money away and are shrewd business men.

They are certainly not mugs and know where and when to spend their money, even if it's with someone like me with no background in designing and bringing to market, award winning models! ;-)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave (and Andy). No offence meant, and I take on board the comment that Hattons have made the announcement. If the O2 is coming out under the Kernow brand, and the King and now the 14xx under the Hatton's brand, which of the forthcoming models will be DJM branded?

BTW I have no doubt of your background and have several of your models but I stand by my initial point that it will be nice to see finished products.

Cheers

Ed

Superb news indeed!  :locomotive:  The perfect match for Bachmann's new auto! Got me very tempted now...

Only one question and it may sound a bit silly, but will this be Limited Editions (small runs)? Like the new Private Austerity Liveries announced for Hattons and the Well Tanks for Kernow?  :scratchhead:

Hi Dave (and Andy). No offence meant, and I take on board the comment that Hattons have made the announcement. If the O2 is coming out under the Kernow brand, and the King and now the 14xx under the Hatton's brand, which of the forthcoming models will be DJM branded?

BTW I have no doubt of your background and have several of your models but I stand by my initial point that it will be nice to see finished products.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed,

They will be branded under their respective owners names but there will be reference to DJModels either on the box or in the instructions.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ed,

I can understand exactly what you say but I presume DJM is managing the development and manufacture of these to a customer spec - which was presumably developed in conjunction with DJM's customer?

If you want to see a result of such a trade relationship in operation just have a look at the dvd which came with the December edition of BRM and you can at least see that there is an

0-4-4T which runs (someone has been critical of the detail but to me it looks like an O2 although I have yet to see a painted version) and I've got no complaints about my Kernow well tank which came from the same design process and factory.

It might well be that DJM is taking on a lot of commission work (wait 'til Saturday!) but not all projects are at the same stage and I'm sure the commissioners are playing a very active role in certain aspects of the design, the detail specification and research for it, and the checking of CADs and EPs etc approving each stage before the factory gets the go-ahead to advance to the next step (and of course only paying at each step if they are satisfied).

So on commissions it certainly isn't all down to DJM and it is plain that some folk are sufficiently satisfied with the process to put very large amounts of money where their mouths and press announcements are.

But, like everyone else I shall judge by results as that is the only fair way to judge and as yet no DJM/commissioned via DJM, model has reached a fully finished, fully liveried state but the first one isn't all that far away.  I have just seen another DJM managed job turn from initial spec into first CADs within a handful of months so clearly the factory and its staff appear to know what they're at - provided they get the correct information.

And it's not just DJM/commissioned via DJM  but an awful lot of other unknown or semi-unknown quantities are appearing on the market - Hornby are using new factories (with mixed results on QC and adherence to spec - assuming the spec was correct), Oxford Rail product is unknown in UK model railway format although they have manufactured for an overseas brand which has a good reputation. and Austrains/Brittrains is an unknown in UK terms.  In fact in British market 4mm r-t-r the only ones who do seem to have any sort of established manufacturing and quality etc reputation, be it good or bad, more than a year or so old are Bachmann, Dapol and Heljan (plus the factory used to make Kernow's models).  Everyone else is a a newcomer, or not far off, in manufacturing terms even if they might have a long established name newcomer.  

And 18 months back who'd have thought that would soon be the case?

Well, at least the reason for the delay with Hornby and Bachmann models is explained!  -  DJM have booked all the manufacturing slots in China.

More seriously, Although a Southern modeller, I  AM  pleased about this announcement as it MIGHT signal that other rather "old" models could be replaced, but let's see how this does commercially.

In addition, this little snippet caught my eye ;

DJM Dave :-

"............ the revised Beattie is but a couple of months away with the O2 hot on its heals ......."

I didn't know anything about revisions, does anyone know ? 

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news and it takes me back 20 years to when Dapol announced their revamp of the old Airfix.It didn't quite work out for them and the Hornby model too complete with traction tyres wasn't brilliant either so it's fourth time lucky for DJM !

Here's a question for Dave:  or perhaps I should ask Hattons.  After pre-ordering a King in the first rush of enthusiasm, Hattons followed up by announcing DCC fitted versions.  It wasn't a problem to change the order but I wonder if I can avoid the same this time if I wait a little?  Will there be a DCC fitted version?

Richard