Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Given how many Peckett's have been shewn, the 14xx/48xx is rather shy in action.

I think that's because only 2 versions have been released so far and probably not the most popular variants.  I hope so anyway because the lack of YouTube reviews had worried me a bit too.  I've found a few though

• Like 6

Mine has just arrived across the Atlantic.

First impressions are of a beautifully detailed model.

Well done DJM and Hattons.

Now the moan.... Cover plate not glued down flush20170104_150705_zpsafijyha5.jpg

Excess glue mark from cover1483560698673_zpslq77rocw.jpg

Bent lamp iron20170104_150729_zps5qpkui9z.jpg

And finally bent/snapped vac pipe20170104_150716_zpsn0u5ikcs.jpg

Lamp iron and vac pipe straightforward fix.

Glue mark, I will have to live with and the cover I will have to see if it can be levered off and glued back flush.

So in summary, looks a treat (showing up how dated the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby is) but qc could try harder

• RMweb Gold

No need to scratchbuild. David Geen produces a very straight forward kit.

attachicon.gifDiagram L auto.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

I will be looking into this!  Thank you, Mike.  Still think it 's a natural for some rtr company to take on, though, long service life, variety of bogie and livery combinations so they could keep announcing 'new' versions, just the job I'd have thought.  Of course I really want someone to save me the bother of building and painting that kit...

Mine has just arrived across the Atlantic.

First impressions are of a beautifully detailed model.

Well done DJM and Hattons.

Now the moan.... Cover plate not glued down flush20170104_150705_zpsafijyha5.jpg

Excess glue mark from cover1483560698673_zpslq77rocw.jpg

Bent lamp iron20170104_150729_zps5qpkui9z.jpg

And finally bent/snapped vac pipe20170104_150716_zpsn0u5ikcs.jpg

Lamp iron and vac pipe straightforward fix.

Glue mark, I will have to live with and the cover I will have to see if it can be levered off and glued back flush.

So in summary, looks a treat (showing up how dated the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby is) but qc could try harder

It might be because of the angle of the image, but it looks a bit like the smokebox door may be fitted wonkily.

It might be because of the angle of the image, but it looks a bit like the smokebox door may be fitted wonkily.

Given how many times I've managed to refit the smokebox door wonkily on my J94s after showing friends (I do actually have a few) the innards I should say that isn't an issue.

The lamp iron and vac pipe are probably transit damage.  Dave has always said inspection and testing takes place in China before shipping.  Boxes of locos etc do get bounced about quite heavily during transit.

Les

Given how many times I've managed to refit the smokebox door wonkily on my J94s after showing friends (I do actually have a few) the innards I should say that isn't an issue.

The lamp iron and vac pipe are probably transit damage. Dave has always said inspection and testing takes place in China before shipping. Boxes of locos etc do get bounced about quite heavily during transit.

Les

My first thought was transit damage but there is/was no packing material at those points.

Pipe now glued and lamp iron bent to upright position.

Injector cover is rock solid but thats not surprising given the amount of excess glue around it.

I think a drop of superglue on a coctail stick to get right underneath it and hold it down til it sets is the only way to go.

Just placed an order for the lined black and green BR Early Crest versions, although I won't get either of them until the green version arrives to save on shipping. My primary issue with the J94 was that it was a noisy runner (although it is the best slow runner I own) and it seems the noise issue will likely be resolved due to Hattons/DJM using a 5 pole motor as opposed to the coreless motor on the J94. Overall the photos of the black version look fantastic and I'm sure the green version will be just as good.

• RMweb Gold

Just placed an order for the lined black and green BR Early Crest versions, although I won't get either of them until the green version arrives to save on shipping. My primary issue with the J94 was that it was a noisy runner (although it is the best slow runner I own) and it seems the noise issue will likely be resolved due to Hattons/DJM using a 5 pole motor as opposed to the coreless motor on the J94. Overall the photos of the black version look fantastic and I'm sure the green version will be just as good.

I thought coreless motors ran silently; after all, they have no friction to generate noise. The noise is more likely to be coming from your gears, in which case it will not make any difference what sort of motor is fitted.

• RMweb Gold

If it runs quietly, is that a Careless Whisper?  

Gets coat...

Is that another complaint that this loco should have been out Last Christmas? Hopefully someone will Wake Me Up before they Go Go.

Edited by JohnR

• RMweb Gold

That's funny, because I've got 2 austerities here. Both a  Mech Navvies model, and a NCB No8. Both models run near silent, and are quite slow runners. It might be a gear problem that's giving you the noise. If the 48xx I have on order is as good as the previous locomotives from DJM/Hattons, I'll be well pleased.

Ian

Edited by tomparryharry

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the posts. Its great to see the first two locos spreading their wings.

A few updates for you on the remaining locos;

• The next four 14xx's to be released will be the following - these are now on-board ship and with us for the middle of February.
    • H1401 - Class 48xx 0-4-2 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering
    • H1408 - Class 58xx 0-4-2 5816 in BR Lined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS (Gill Sans)
    • H1410 - Class 58xx 0-4-2 5819 in BR Unlined black with early emblem
    • H1416 - Class 14xx 0-4-2 1409 in BR Unlined green with late crest
  • We haven't had exact dates through for the remaining locos however they won't be too far behind the above four. As soon as I have the info I will post here.

A selection of models from the production run have been received and are available to view below

H1401_3117973_Qty1_1.jpg

H1408_3117980_Qty1_1.jpg

H1416_3117988_Qty1_1.jpg

H1410_3117982_Qty1_1.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 5

Hi all,

Thanks for the posts. Its great to see the first two locos spreading their wings.

A few updates for you on the remaining locos;

• The next four 14xx's to be released will be the following - these are now on-board ship and with us for the middle of February.
    • H1401 - Class 48xx 0-4-2 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering
    • H1408 - Class 58xx 0-4-2 5816 in BR Lined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS (Gill Sans)
    • H1410 - Class 58xx 0-4-2 5819 in BR Unlined black with early emblem
    • H1416 - Class 14xx 0-4-2 1409 in BR Unlined green with late crest
  • We haven't had exact dates through for the remaining locos however they won't be too far behind the above four. As soon as I have the info I will post here.

A selection of models from the production run have been received and are available to view below

H1401_3117973_Qty1_1.jpg

H1408_3117980_Qty1_1.jpg

H1416_3117988_Qty1_1.jpg

H1410_3117982_Qty1_1.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Lovely looking models but I was wondering why the decision was made to model the 48xx/14xx locos without the lift up cover over the auto gear on the buffer beam? I am not suggesting that this should actually be a working lift up cover but I have only ever seen one photo of the originals in service with this cover missing. Refer to any photo of the prototypes in service and this cover is apparent.