Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Most DJM models use bearing pickups via a split chassis. This has proved to an Achilles heel on my pair of Dapol's class 73 but not yet on my Sentinel, Well tanks and O2s. One austerity is becoming hesitant, but this is probably my fault, oiling the gears not with electrolube. The other Austerity is fine. Be careful what you oil with I would advise.

There was a discussion about the merits of electrolube and whether it is or is not conductive on RMWeb some time ago:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/21899-peco-electrolube/

I'm guessing you are referring to the product sold by Peco, formerly called Electrolube but now called Powerlube. There seem to be very mixed views on that thread as to how conductive it actually is!

I've had a quick re-scan of the instruction sheet for the 14xx and there is no recommendation for the use of any particular type of lubricant.

Given that the current path is through the axle/bearing interface and there is likely to be a thin film of oil 'twixt the two do Hattons or DJM have a view on whether this is likely to be beneficial?

I lube'd my two examples with a single drop onto each axle from an Expo precision oiler:-

https://www.expotools.com/acatalog/Precision-Oiler-74300.html

The oiler in this is claimed to be safe for use on plastics but nothing is said regarding electrical conductivity. Both run are superbly.........at the moment!

Andy.

Have you actually seen one of these models or is your opinion formed purely from reading on-line criticism?

As with any consumer product, those whose example is not up-to-scratch are far more likely to make their feelings known than those whose item is just fine.

FWIW I have bought one, which I use with basic 15-year-old Gaugemaster analogue controllers, and it runs very well indeed. The only reason I don't have two already is a commitment to purchasing several other pre-ordered commissioned models which seem to be approaching rather sooner than I anticipated.

John  

"This site is a wealth of great information and help and I thoroughly recommend a look if your at all concerned about any model from any manufacturer."

The above is a direct quote from one of DJM Dave's posts so my opinion is based on the information available on here & elsewhere.

​I don't live in the UK so I don't have the luxury of being able to see these models in the flesh.

This forum is a great place for expert advice & information which I have always valued.

The only time I have disregarded that advice was with the Bayer Garratt & we all know how that turned out for others as well as myself.

Strange how that was another of Hattons commissions so maybe the problem lies with them ?

After the Garratt I swore that I would never again buy a model no matter how desirable without doing my research first.

Please remember that i did not criticise the model.

I merely stated that I had saved myself £99 + postage by doing my research first & that applies to any model no matter who the manufacturer might be.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must thank all who have contributed to this thread.

You've saved me £99 + postage.

Then please exclude me from that select band of brothers.I also have two with a third to follow shortly.....and I have posted a favourable experience with this model.So don't make an all inclusive assumption.

I speculatively wonder whether there is a preponderance of problems with DCC fitted examples. Just a thought ( only that) before the howls of outrage echo around these hallowed halls.......

• RMweb Gold

Well I got one - it looks fantastic and runs extremely well - much better than I had expected it to. The only odd thing about the whole thing is that the cat is fascinated by the smell of the foam insert in the packaging....

Surely DJM has tested for this with a variety of cats, both pure breds and some old flee riden moggy. If not I will not be able to buy any DJM products as I have two cats that create a lot of interference.

Then please exclude me from that select band of brothers.I also have two with a third to follow shortly.....and I have posted a favourable experience with this model.So don't make an all inclusive assumption.

I speculatively wonder whether there is a preponderance of problems with DCC fitted examples. Just a thought ( only that) before the howls of outrage echo around these hallowed halls.......

Assumption ?

I made no assumptions.

I merely referred to myself so perhaps you're mixing me up with someone else ?

• RMweb Gold

I do take the point about the number/percentage of returns. I can only comment on what I know of my own experience and that of others posted here and elsewhere.

I would assume that a certain percentage of sales will let be to those who won't run their models and perhaps display in a glass case or maybe not even get it out of the box at all.

Perhaps I am being too fussy with what I expect of a RTR model, but I do need my 14XX to creep along at a snail's pace and accelerate and brake smoothly during shunting operations. That would be on good old-fashioned DC control.

I have models from other manufacturers that do precisely that, without even any running in, such as the Hornby Peckett or the Bachmann pannier, to name but two, so it is achievable.

My replacement 14XX ftom Hattons does seem a bit better than the first one, but the running is nevertheless not yet of a standard where I'd be happy to shunt with it. I don't really want to keep playing '14XX ping pong' with Hattons, so I will persevere with this second one, knowing that I could ultimately replace the chassis with an etched kit one.

I do have to agree with Tim's comments above. I've now (as of today) returned my replacement 14xx, as despite following the instructions to the letter with regard to oiling and running it, the locomotive started to cut out and then bunny-hop along the track. 

I am very disappointed with the running quality of this locomotive, I've never had a poor runner before and I don't expect a 'modern' model to perform like this. Bachmann, Heljan and Hornby locomotives are all working perfectly well on the same set up. 

Hopefully it will be a case of third time lucky. 

Nick. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Assumption ?

I made no assumptions.

I merely referred to myself so perhaps you're mixing me up with someone else ?

Sorry but the way your post is phrased leads me to that conclusion ."All" does include me ....and a number of others who are happy with what they have purchased...and I do not associate myself with your decision to decline to do so. I think that is surely plain enough ? No confusion there. :scratchhead:

I have 3 of these (a 58xx/48xx and a 14xx) and I'm quite happy with them all.  One of them came with a broken sand pipe but the others all work fine.  I don't need them to pull heavy loads and they are all fine running with an autocoach or a b set on my layout.  Tempted to get another one in the future if the finances allow.

Looking forward to my order of 1363 and the railmotor.

I don't post much, but have been following this for some time. I have two of these and both out perform the Hornby version. None of the several I have owned have performed well or have the level of detail as the DJM model.

Sure some are having issues. With production runs like this there will always be the Proverbial Friday afternoon car that typified the British motor industry years ago. I say that as an engineer who deals with this on a daily basis. Remember it still does happen. Vauxhalls catching fire etc.

So whilst it is annoying to have issues, its a hobby for most of us. Enjoy it and give Hatton's/DJM a break. If not man up and try to do it yourself.

I'm trying to build a County Tank and if it's half as good I'd be well chuffed.

Didcot

• RMweb Gold

I don't post much, but have been following this for some time. I have two of these and both out perform the Hornby version. None of the several I have owned have performed well or have the level of detail as the DJM model.

Sure some are having issues. With production runs like this there will always be the Proverbial Friday afternoon car that typified the British motor industry years ago. I say that as an engineer who deals with this on a daily basis. Remember it still does happen. Vauxhalls catching fire etc.

So whilst it is annoying to have issues, its a hobby for most of us. Enjoy it and give Hatton's/DJM a break. If not man up and try to do it yourself.

I'm trying to build a County Tank and if it's half as good I'd be well chuffed.

Didcot

Hi Didcot,

I agree with most of your post above, visually the Hattons/DJM 14xx is wonderful, the rivet detailing and overall 'look' captures the prototype perfectly. The livery application is also brilliant. I'm hoping that I have, as you said, I have the Friday afternoon model.  :)

However, it is disappointing to end up with two poor performing models. I'm sure I am just unlucky this time. I certainly don't want my comments to be viewed as moaning for moaning sake. As my late grandfather remarked on one occasion; There is a fine line between reporting facts and moaning! I hope my comments haven't been interpreted as moaning for moaning sake, that certainly wasn't my intention. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 2

No not moaning. Valid points.

My rather laboured point is these things happen. A change in temperature in inspection or the machine shop has the ability to make the difference. Most inspection equipment of quality says accurate at 20 degrees. So a change in climate such as we are experiencing this weekend can make the difference.

I just think a lot of people are giving Hatton's/DJM a hard time somewhat unjustified in my opinion. Like I said I wouldn't want to do it.

Just my opinion.

Didcot

• Like 3

Hi all....a bit of fine tuning with CV's works wonders with this model.... it does make you wonder how many locos...and not just the DJ class 14xx have been returned so called faulty? when they just need a cv tweak on dcc..... :yes:

Hi all....a bit of fine tuning with CV's works wonders with this model.... it does make you wonder how many locos...and not just the DJ class 14xx have been returned so called faulty? when they just need a cv tweak on dcc..... :yes:

That's one reason why you should run locos in on dc first. If it works fine on dc, then if it doesn't on dcc, it must be down to how the chip and the loco are interacting

David

• RMweb Gold

Great if you have DCC, old fruit.

• RMweb Gold

My rather laboured point is these things happen. A change in temperature in inspection or the machine shop has the ability to make the difference. Most inspection equipment of quality says accurate at 20 degrees. So a change in climate such as we are experiencing this weekend can make the difference.

I just think a lot of people are giving Hatton's/DJM a hard time somewhat unjustified in my opinion. Like I said I wouldn't want to do it.

I think that's interesting Didcot, but I've had a Friday afternoon model, and exchanged it for what seems to be a Friday morning model. My friend Nick (Brinkly) has had 2 Friday afternoon ones so far (perhaps they're sending all that batch to customers in South Devon?), another friend has also had a Friday afternoon one too, plus another poster in this thread has told us that he's ordering three etched chassis kits for his 3 locos.

Not to mention the other DC modellers on this thread who have mentioned poor running in DC (not mentioning DCC as I don't 'do' that).

The point I made further above is that I know of no other recent RTR model where there have been quite that number of reports/experiences of poor running qualities.

I am already 'giving Hattons/DJM a break' by deciding to get my Friday morning model running better, or providing an etched chassis instead if I can't.

The bad batch must have extended to West Devon too. I sent my first one back because of jerky running at low speed on both DC and DCC even after following the lubrication advice and six hours of running-in. I sent the second one back because it was worse than the first! The third one is better than the first and just acceptable but still nowhere near as smooth at low speed as my Peckett or 42xx heavy tank.

• RMweb Premium

I think that's interesting Didcot, but I've had a Friday afternoon model, and exchanged it for what seems to be a Friday morning model. My friend Nick (Brinkly) has had 2 Friday afternoon ones so far (perhaps they're sending all that batch to customers in South Devon?), another friend has also had a Friday afternoon one too, plus another poster in this thread has told us that he's ordering three etched chassis kits for his 3 locos.

Not to mention the other DC modellers on this thread who have mentioned poor running in DC (not mentioning DCC as I don't 'do' that).

The point I made further above is that I know of no other recent RTR model where there have been quite that number of reports/experiences of poor running qualities.

I am already 'giving Hattons/DJM a break' by deciding to get my Friday morning model running better, or providing an etched chassis instead if I can't.

Hi,

I seem to remember there was a lot of adverse comment about the Hejan / Hattons Beyer Garrat in the not too distant past??.

• RMweb Gold

Following on from Tim's comments about the poor performance, allowing for the poor camera work, this was the running quality of mine after several hours of running in, plus oiling. 

I suspect there is a loose wire in there somewhere, as the track was very clean! This one has subsequently been returned and a replacement requested. 

Kind regards,

Nick

Following on from Tim's comments about the poor performance, allowing for the poor camera work, this was the running quality of mine after several hours of running in, plus oiling. 

I suspect there is a loose wire in there somewhere, as the track was very clean! This one has subsequently been returned and a replacement requested. 

Kind regards,

Nick

This looks exactly how my first one ran (see post 1050 on 23rd December) after many hours of persuasion and running in.  Once it did spurt into life for a few seconds after being turned upside down a few times so I believed that mine too was a loose wire.  When returned to Hattons they ran it and could not find anything wrong with it; thereby concluding a bad electrical connection somewhere that sorted itself after being shaken in the post.  However as the motor is sealed there is nothing that can be done other than to return and hope that the replacement is a good 'un.

My replacement 58xx and my 48xx both run well.

• RMweb Premium

Kind regards,

Nick

When I fitted a Bachmann/Zimo decoder to my 1450 it was loose in the dcc socket and it ran the same as your video.  I wriggled the decoder until it worked and then wrapped it with insulating tape to hold it in place. I had the same problem with my J94 that came in the same delivery.

Al