Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Glorious Devon with Brent Tor in the background.An image of perfection attainable nowadays only in your dreams .....given the traffic on the A30 and M5......the loco brings out the green of Devon and the bygone GWR.Yes I know it's described as "black" :imsohappy:

This class were never seen on the branch but she looks quite at home here, black or green !

post-126-0-62015600-1492977402_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

After reading all of the negative posts regarding the running quality of these models, the fact that they can't be easily dismantled and the sloppy coupling rods it is with some trepidation that I await my two on their way from Hattons to Oz. I pretty much gave up worrying about the persistent running issues I had with 3 out of 4 of my Kernow O2s (even after sending 2 back for replacement), the 4th has never been a smooth and free runner either. They seem to have had similar issues to those described in this forum. I've since sold on 3 of them and I am also considering selling the 4th but I really do like O2 tanks!! I suppose that I should have been wary of the similar drive train being used on both models. I'll see how my 2 14XX's perform and if no better than the O2s and as bad as some of the models described in these posts I will probably avoid DJM produced locos in the future. It will be interesting to see how the Hornby H Class performs and I assume that they will be using a more traditional motor/gear set drive.

Granted there are a number of very positive reviews, but after reading such a large number of negative comments and after having similar issues with the O2s it is certainly difficult not to prejudice a particular manufacturer. I was going to buy a J94, I will no longer be doing so.........

Further to my previous post, my two locos arrived at the end of last week, 1420 and 1444.

I ran them each for the recommended time after oiling according to the instructions. 1444 is fine, runs pretty well with no sloppy coupling rod symptoms. 1420 on the other hand has a pronounced waddle, sloppy coupling rods at low speed and after changing direction and stalls on streamline points (slow speed performance is also poor).

I can live with all of the confirmed or perceived detail inaccuracies but poor running, especially the coupling rod issue, I draw the line. Coupling rods just should not react like that!!! I have never seen this on any other four coupled ready-to-run loco prior to the Kernow O2 and now this model. Granted there haven't been too many four coupled locos produced but all of the other products by other manufacturers that I have either seen in action or own do not perform like this. I will have to make up my mind by the end of the day to either send back 1420 or just use it as an ornament!!  

On the plus side I really do like the look of these models, they capture the character of the prototype and include a wealth of detail, it is a shame that either the choice of chassis/drive train or quality control let down an otherwise great little model. I said in my previous post that I would not buy a J94, given the seemingly random nature of the performance of DJM produced models to date I will stand by my decision.

do not perform like this. I will have to make up my mind by the end of the day to either send back 1420 or just use it as an ornament!!  

....send it back and ask for a better specimen of 1420...or a full refund?

....send it back and ask for a better specimen of 1420...or a full refund?

Certainly well within Ventnor's rights to do so.

Purely from a curiosity point of view I'd be interested to know what sort of percentage of sales Hattons have seen returned of the model. I think there was a post earlier which touched on it briefly, but i'd just like to see the simple percentage returned. 

Paul. 

Certainly well within Ventnor's rights to do so.

Purely from a curiosity point of view I'd be interested to know what sort of percentage of sales Hattons have seen returned of the model. I think there was a post earlier which touched on it briefly, but i'd just like to see the simple percentage returned. 

Paul. 

I  also wonder what they do with returns - write off as a loss, split for spares, repair...etc?

• Like 1

I  also wonder what they do with returns - write off as a loss, split for spares, repair...etc?

I think that was touched on in the earlier post I mentioned (but did not search for), as some (I don't think it was specified how many) were tested/repaired and resold/returned)

• RMweb Gold

I do sympathise with those who are having "difficulties" with this model.I am fortunate in that the pair I have are ok but realise that it's scant comfort to those less fortunate.DJ has said that the returns are not significant. I doubt that Hattons from a point of view of commercial confidentiality will reveal any such figures.It is hardly in their interest to do so in any case.

As to repairs,this is a difficult piece of kit to access and in any case I believe that Hattons no longer have such a service ( IIRC that was posted some time ago).I know it's a bugbear but contact Hattons for the correct procedure for a return to your satisfaction.It really is the only sensible course of action.

I'd be amazed if Hattons wish to/ want to/do disclose publicly their return percentage... in any event, I'd wager their business case assumed a certain percentage of returns. Question is not how many but the variance

David

I thought I did see a figure mentioned, probably by Dave himself.

I remember noting that it looked strangely familiar and quickly realized that it was indeed exactly the percentage I had worked to in my own line of business for many years.

All products must have a set level for failures. That for model locomotives being higher than that for cars which again is higher than that for planes. With the resources currently available this figure can be kept much lower for an acceptable cost than was the case in the past. Perfection at a reasonable cost is however simply not possible.

As you point out it is the randomness of the reported problems with this machine that I also find disturbing.

Bernard

Can anyone knowledgeable of this class advise if they were also ever used for light goods movements or shunting of goods?  Thanks!

A 14xx was the regular loco for the freights from Leominster to Kington and Presteign until the line closed in 1964.

• Like 1

Can anyone knowledgeable of this class advise if they were also ever used for light goods movements or shunting of goods?  Thanks!

There are published shots of a 58XX shunting the Harris sausage vans from one train to another at Bristol TM. and another on the Swindon - Bristol daily pick up goods.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

Further to my previous post, my two locos arrived at the end of last week, 1420 and 1444.

I ran them each for the recommended time after oiling according to the instructions. 1444 is fine, runs pretty well with no sloppy coupling rod symptoms. 1420 on the other hand has a pronounced waddle, sloppy coupling rods at low speed and after changing direction and stalls on streamline points (slow speed performance is also poor).

Out of interest are you running DC or DCC?

I would suggest contacting Hatton's about returns via their website. They are very prompt and efficient in replying and arranging the returns, although I'm not sure what they will do about covering returns cost from Oz (they cover it in the UK, not many companies do that without a lot of arm twisting!).

• RMweb Gold

Just received mine.........thats pretty good service from Royal Mail and Canada Post. 12 days from Liverpool to Vancouver!

To my relief both are running well on the DC rolling road. Cant wait to test them with decoder fitted on my somewhat iffy branch track.

Just received mine.........thats pretty good service from Royal Mail and Canada Post. 12 days from Liverpool to Vancouver!

To my relief both are running well on the DC rolling road. Cant wait to test them with decoder fitted on my somewhat iffy branch track.

Good luck with it, John - hope your experience on layout with DCC much better than mine.

Jon

Out of interest are you running DC or DCC?

I would suggest contacting Hatton's about returns via their website. They are very prompt and efficient in replying and arranging the returns, although I'm not sure what they will do about covering returns cost from Oz (they cover it in the UK, not many companies do that without a lot of arm twisting!).

DC layout, conversion to DCC will be a retirement project.

Hattons are pretty good, as you say they reply promptly and I've returned stuff before that was either faulty or damaged on arrival and either received a replacement very quickly or got a refund. I've emailed them expressing my intent to return the loco. 1444 has been run again today and is still the complete opposite to 1420!! Kernow's have given me store credit for return postage from Oz in the past, for the life of me I can't remember if Hattons have ever done the same, I always include a short letter describing any faults or issues including drawing their attention to the postage cost. I'll take more notice this time!!

• Like 2

DC layout, conversion to DCC will be a retirement project.

Hattons are pretty good, as you say they reply promptly and I've returned stuff before that was either faulty or damaged on arrival and either received a replacement very quickly or got a refund. I've emailed them expressing my intent to return the loco. 1444 has been run again today and is still the complete opposite to 1420!! Kernow's have given me store credit for return postage from Oz in the past, for the life of me I can't remember if Hattons have ever done the same, I always include a short letter describing any faults or issues including drawing their attention to the postage cost. I'll take more notice this time!!

Let us know how you go.

I've been lucky with my Hatton's purchases so far, all have run well and haven't had the issue arise of a return from Oz. My recent 64xx was a close shave but I fixed that myself. 

• RMweb Gold

A 14xx was the regular loco for the freights from Leominster to Kington and Presteign until the line closed in 1964.

In fact both 1420 and 1458 were used, possibly others. The Kington & Presteign goods was the only reason that I bought one of these locos.

• RMweb Gold

But most of the other classes used on the Wellington branch were also fitted with screw reverse; in fact the only locos the GW built with steam reverse, specifically for shunting, AFAIK were the 67xx/6750 series of panniers.  These were also steam braked only and could not work vacuum fitted trains,

The company inherited various steam/lever reverse locos from absorbed or constituent companies at the grouping, and also several non--vacuum fitted classes, but Swindon's concept was that all the locos should be capable of working all the trains if necessary.

• RMweb Gold

From what i have read 14xx loco's were rarely used for shunting due to there screw reverse gear on the Watlington branch line.

Regards Mark

Where they worked MIxed Trains (e.g Wallingford and Marlow branches) there was no choice but to use them for shunting (which could of course take place with the auto-trailer still attached).