Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

That's very interesting. I had assumed that DJM had done all the design work. But if the excellent body work was all by Hattons, that does now make sense.

I think hattons should team up with our very own Captain Kernow, especially for the chassis design ;)

• RMweb Premium

The mechanical aspects of the chassis of the 14xx are in keeping with other Dave Jones releases, either his own or those in conjunction with other retailers.

The Beattie Well tank released from Kernow/Dapol is down to Dave Jones as is the 1361 from Kernow and the 02 from the same source. Add to this the Austerity from DJM and the similarities of chassis design are very apparent.

No other British RTR manfacturer has chosen the same design of drive for their steam outline models and there will be a reason for this. All have examples where running or longevity has been or subsequently become an issue.

Given these similarities, I would venture that he has had some involvement in the Andrew Barclay from Hattons and possibly the P class. This is speculation as I have not seen their respective internals. However, based on the identical packaging utilised on all of these models I don't think I am too wide of the mark here and would suggest that they share a common source.

However, some are reporting issues with their P class locos which were previously okay.......

I of course wait to be corrected.

Rob.

Having looked at ‘Mallards’ of this forum P class, it has a conventional chassis design, with as I recall a single axle drive, and wiper pickups. The Kernow 1361 has a typical DJM split chassis design with coupling rods with elongated crankpin slots. The 1361 runs the best out of the three DJM designs I’ve had experience of. Dave Jones has frequently referred to himself as a designer or that he designed X/Y or Z, the P class chassis doesn’t strike me as coming from DJM.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

oh bu#£er!

Following a premature death of the last one I bought another 58xx (I'm obviously a glutton for punishment)

It arrived yesterday with one of the cab hand rails broken......and Hatton's have now sold out AAARRRRRGGG

Not a happy bunny at Warren Branch

I now have to decide if my autistic trates and mild OCD will allow a loco at Warren Branch with the shirt button livery, I don't mind the shirt button on rolling stock but I find locos look naked with such a little logo 

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Not sure the good Captain could turn out enough of those chassis to satisfy Hattons  :jester:

True but at least they would work consistently!........they should at least offer the Captain a consultancy position

I would like to know if Hattons intend to commission another batch of 14xx/48xx/58xx as their stocks have dwindled 

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I have posted a further update on the building of a new chassis for my first Hattons/DJM 14XX here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/21/entry-21839-new-chassis-for-the-hattons-14xx-part-5/

In fairness to all concerned, I have also mentioned that the second 14XX, that I bought in the Hattons sale, has responded sufficiently well to the prolonged running-in that I have subjected it to, to warrant retaining the chassis and going into layout service using the original mechanism. I don't know why this particular chassis has ended up so much better than previous examples (the 14XX that I re-chassised was actually the second one that I had from Hattons, the first being returned). Whilst I am happy to concede that this particular example works tolerably well, I remain unsatisfied by the general inconsistencies in the differing running qualities from loco to loco and would not willingly obtain another loco with this kind of mechanism.

I'm sorry if this still sounds grudging towards Hattons, in general terms I have a good opinion of them for their levels of customer service and the good quality of the 'P' and Andrew Barclay locos, but doing the new chassis for my first 14XX took up a lot of modelling time last year, which could have been spent getting on with the layout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

oh bu#£er!

Following a premature death of the last one I bought another 58xx (I'm obviously a glutton for punishment)

It arrived yesterday with one of the cab hand rails broken......and Hatton's have now sold out AAARRRRRGGG

Not a happy bunny at Warren Branch

I now have to decide if my autistic trates and mild OCD will allow a loco at Warren Branch with the shirt button livery, I don't mind the shirt button on rolling stock but I find locos look naked with such a little logo

Had a bit of luck, a pre-owned 58xx appeared on the Hattons site which I promptly purchased.

It appears to be in 'as new' condition and runs quite well, the previous owner had obviously looked after it and ran it in correctly.

I've order replacement number plates (same number) that I'm hoping to attach directly over the flush plates (I'm not as brave as the Captain)

So I'm a mildly happier bunny

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Modelmasters plates glued on top of the originals and my best attempt at weathering the new plates with powers.....not perfect but it doesn’t look too bad :D

I’ve used glue ‘n’ glaze for the plates, gives plenty of time to adjust and and surplus wipes away easily with a damp cotton bud. Takes a while to dry but I didn’t dare use superglue (I’m to clumsy)

C6BE35AC-A6DF-4725-BD56-A180290E55B7.jpeg

4FEE8585-36CA-43DD-AA2D-CE9D592A80B9.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I must have woken up feeling brave this morning, I’ve never attempted to fit real coal before.....so fingers crossed

Painted on neat PVA first to seal around the edges, applied the coal then applied a few drops of ballasting adhesive so I’m hoping the glue dries clear like it’s says it does

I’ve also glued the ‘flappy doors’ shut using glue ‘n’ glaze again, mainly because it’s easy to wipe away any excess without causing any damage

3EFE012D-A6DC-4A58-9600-FFDFB4A6C03F.jpeg

A0C30612-2CB3-4C9D-81C8-AB332F13F0DC.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling errors corrected
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I’ve painted and weathered some fire irons and shovel but wasn’t sure if I should attach them permanently so thought I’d gauge others reactions first

what do you think? Yes or No

DA61021A-E94F-42B7-8FCC-1DE46C1E3EB7.jpeg

3158F2C8-4989-4DA8-9B14-FC666BF2FC86.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
2nd photo added
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't glue them in place, best to give yourself the option to vary where they are, plus gluing something small and thin, like fire irons, onto something else small and thin, like the curved loops on the back of the bunker, is not easy without leaving some glue visible etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I wouldn't glue them in place, best to give yourself the option to vary where they are, plus gluing something small and thin, like fire irons, onto something else small and thin, like the curved loops on the back of the bunker, is not easy without leaving some glue visible etc.

I value your opinion, you’re quite right about visible glue (I’d not thought about that)

They are quite a snug fit in the hooks so they’ll probably stay in place as they are, I may still glue the shovel in place though....maybe

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There is photographic evidence in some of the Pannier Papers, showing the fireman's shovel put vertically inside the rear, left-hand side bunker handrail, when on shed. Perhaps another reason to leave these things loose, so you could possibly replicate that, if your loco is stabled somewhere?

• Like 2

Hi Guys

I have had a 58xx sitting in the box for a while now.  I finally managed to run it on a rolling road and a short length of track using DC.  I don't want to tempt fate but it seemed to run ok.

I now want to put a DCC decoder in it and was wondering what one to buy.  I have read that the Hattons one seems to be a bit problematic.  I did put an ammeter on the controller and it did not seem to draw anywhere near the 1 amp quoted on the Hattons site.  I was tempted to try a Lenz 10311-02 "Silver Mini+" 0.5/0.8A with NEM 651 plug or a Bachmann 36-568 6 Pin LOCO Decoder.  I'm not really an expert on DCC  so I'm not really sure if the 58xx has the NEM 651.    

I would be grateful if you can help.

Thanks

Bob

image.png

image.png

• RMweb Gold

I’m no expert either with but I put the Bachmann 36-568 in mine and set the CV’s as per Hatton’s recommendations

CV5 TO 255

CV6 TO 128

CV49 TO 17

CV51 TO 0

CV52 TO 0

CV53 TO 140

CV54 TO 40

CV55 TO 28

CV56 TO 255

CV124 TO 4

I think NEM651 Is basically a 6 pin connection but don’t quote me on that

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 90rob said:

No.

Thank you, I’ve put a bit of Matt clear over the plate in an effort to reduce it reflecting the light

seems to have done the trick and blended it in a little better?

I wish I knew what I was doing :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

00A82EDC-D2C3-40FD-8347-B4BD580A91FA.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

33 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thank you, I’ve put a bit of Matt clear over the plate in an effort to reduce it reflecting the light

seems to have done the trick and blended it in a little better?

I wish I knew what I was doing :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

00A82EDC-D2C3-40FD-8347-B4BD580A91FA.jpeg

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 90rob said:

Well I see what you mean, but both versions look good IMHO. The wife thought it was real until I pointed out the lack of track....

Thank you and your wife

My better half has also pointed out the lack of track.....I’ve tried to explain it’s all part of the hobby when in actual fact it’s because I’ve been distracted by locos and rolling stock again :laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I did wonder 'if' (Big If) there was some reasoning behind why the inconsistency existed between the different model releases. I've got one of the last variations released, the 4871 model. Perhaps there might well be a situation whereby the assembly staff have gotten into the 'swing of things' and made with the knowledge gained by making the model in the first place. The assembly staff with the first one: " We think part X goes here"... 250 parts later:-  " We're pretty sure part X goes there"... The next 250 parts becomes :- We now know that part X is turned upside down, and inserted here & here, and it works".

In the meantime....250-ish models have hit the market. The 4871 I own had a little bit of trouble with the running quality. I traced this down to a brake pull rod that didn't quite line up with its parent brake hanger, and fouling the sleepers. 5 minutes work, one dab of glue, and good to go.

I've recently obtained a chassis via the good office of Captain K, and I intend to give it a damn good dose of 'looking at'. I haven't yet had an opportunity to do this, as some illness decided to intervene. However, once better, I'll be getting along with it.

As a batch, I'd be inclined to favour the 4871 model. The gremlins are far more likely to be taken out at assembly & mechanical QC. The overall view, as we know, is very good.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I did ask Hatton's of they where going to commision another batch of the whole range again but they said they had no plans to do so at the moment, shame really because I would have liked a H1401 48xx 'GREAT WESTERN' lettering

I came back to the hobby too late, either that or I shouldn't have gone down the GWR route :rolleyes:

Edited by chuffinghell