Andy Y

Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

5 minutes ago, 90rob said:

Well I see what you mean, but both versions look good IMHO. The wife thought it was real until I pointed out the lack of track....

Thank you and your wife

My better half has also pointed out the lack of track.....I’ve tried to explain it’s all part of the hobby when in actual fact it’s because I’ve been distracted by locos and rolling stock again :laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

The enamel Matt clear applied to the plates has now dried, doesn’t look too bad....

B4B3F958-A919-4AD3-BA86-A5F3CBD2C3F2.jpeg

AED15FDA-4FF7-4BE1-A23E-7948AC4F19C8.jpeg

• Like 6

I did wonder 'if' (Big If) there was some reasoning behind why the inconsistency existed between the different model releases. I've got one of the last variations released, the 4871 model. Perhaps there might well be a situation whereby the assembly staff have gotten into the 'swing of things' and made with the knowledge gained by making the model in the first place. The assembly staff with the first one: " We think part X goes here"... 250 parts later:-  " We're pretty sure part X goes there"... The next 250 parts becomes :- We now know that part X is turned upside down, and inserted here & here, and it works".

In the meantime....250-ish models have hit the market. The 4871 I own had a little bit of trouble with the running quality. I traced this down to a brake pull rod that didn't quite line up with its parent brake hanger, and fouling the sleepers. 5 minutes work, one dab of glue, and good to go.

I've recently obtained a chassis via the good office of Captain K, and I intend to give it a damn good dose of 'looking at'. I haven't yet had an opportunity to do this, as some illness decided to intervene. However, once better, I'll be getting along with it.

As a batch, I'd be inclined to favour the 4871 model. The gremlins are far more likely to be taken out at assembly & mechanical QC. The overall view, as we know, is very good.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I did ask Hatton's of they where going to commision another batch of the whole range again but they said they had no plans to do so at the moment, shame really because I would have liked a H1401 48xx 'GREAT WESTERN' lettering

I came back to the hobby too late, either that or I shouldn't have gone down the GWR route :rolleyes:

Edited by chuffinghell

16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I did ask Hatton's of they where going to commision another batch of the whole range again but they said they had no plans to do so at the moment, shame really because I would have liked a H1401 48xx 'GREAT WESTERN' lettering

I came back to the hobby too late, either that or I shouldn't have gone down the GWR route :rolleyes:

You could always ask Dave Jones what he has in stock.

He has been selling off returns at shows and at Stafford there was at least one Great Western livery locomotive there.

Failing that, keep an eye on Ebay, that's where I got mine.

Edited by woodenhead
spelling

6 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You could always ask Dave Jones what he has in stock.

He has been selling off returns at shows and at Stafford there was at least one Great Western livery locomotive there.

Failing that, keep an eye on Ebay, that's where I got mine.

I'm always checking eBay

I did contact Dave a while ago and he said he'd look if he had a return but I never had an further replies and I didn't want to pester him so I left it

On 08 February 2019 at 17:59, hodgkinr said:

I now want to put a DCC decoder in it and was wondering what one to buy.

I put a Lenz or Zimo in mine I think.

The settings I used will be a few pages back but they work okay for me.

But then either I'm not seeing the bad running others have had, or my first was a good one.

I ran mine in for about 15 mins either way on DC before chip fitting.

Finally got around to adding the coupling chain and steam heat pipes from the detail pack.

The steam heat pipes went on no problem

The coupling chain however was not the easiest thing to fit but with a combination of patients, persistence and more than a few expletives I finally got them fitted

Also wiped of some of the weathering from the number plate to let the brass show through, I like it which is the main thing

Fred photo bombed one of the photos, his clothing is still looking shiny despite the application of Matt varnish

FBBBD011-C501-4392-B946-0D8CA0518722.jpeg

6150B86F-93D5-45E2-ADE1-F46E4CFE7268.jpeg

3955EFD4-ECA3-4CBF-821E-661E36BDC654.jpeg

324B2B53-D45C-4C66-BA04-896F21A87F2E.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just popped into Hattons and tried H1410 and H1411 on their test track. H1410 relatively smooth but slipped to a standstill on slight changes of gradient, H1411 was appreciably smoother and gradient might as well have not been there; no effect on performance.

It was a smooth runner even at slow speed, no nasty noises, so its now sitting on my rolling road running in; will keep fingers crossed!

The lady serving was very helpful and testing each model was no problem.

Best wishes

Nige

• Like 1

Fitted one of Hatton’s 6 pin decoders after running in, no cv adjustments and runs beautifully at all speeds including very slowly. Dead chuffed ( no pun intended).

Best wishes

Nige