Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

Wow! Another great loco. Its going to become hard to keep track of the various developments in the pipeline.

The absence of a model of 1466/4866 is my only disappointment.

Which models would be suitable to renumber to its preserved condition?.... (or could Hattons be persuaded to add a model). I presume 1466 is the loco being scanned, would only seem right to model it... :-)

• RMweb Gold

This has taken me by surprise and it's also taken me over 24 hours to notice the announcement (been rather preoccupied with other stuff, unfortunately). What a good idea, though, I have every confidence that this will be a super model. What a fantastic range of numbers and liveries to announce all in one go. Best of luck with this, Dave, and more power to your elbow!

The absence of a model of 1466/4866 is my only disappointment.

Which models would be suitable to renumber to its preserved condition?.... (or could Hattons be persuaded to add a model). I presume 1466 is the loco being scanned, would only seem right to model it... :-)

Hard to know if 14/4866 is being scanned. IIRC there are 4 preserved auto-tanks to chose from.

Without details, I cannot tell if any of the models being produced are suitable for a simple renumbering. You need a 4800-class (not 5800) with top-feed and GWR shirtbutton livery. I don't have a copy of Peto's register handy but I think that the class did not start receiving top feeds until after the shirtbutton era (1944 IIRC). In this case, you would not be able to accurately portray the preserved loco (since 4866 is technically historically inaccurate in shirtbutton livery).

You might need to repaint one of the BR-liveried models. Of the GWR liveried models, I do not think any of them received top-feeds until BR days (certainly 1420 was still in originaly condition in 1954 http://images.delcampe.com/img_large/auction/000/098/864/696_001.jpg).

Edited by Karhedron

The choice is narrowing, I've just pre-ordered my second 14xx (1420) this morning. There were a lot more to choose from yesterday. This model should prove to be a real success!

It seems that the above is incorrect. I was getting 48xx mixed up with 14xx. Only just realised that 48xx were renumbered 14xx in 1946. Anyway have ordered one of each in GWR livery. There is so much to learn!

With two Airfix bodies and a Comet chassis almost complete I may pass on this one.  No-one has asked how the trailing axle will be sprung, this is the 64,000 dollar question IMHO as it was the problem with the original Airfix chassis.

But I remember the 14XX class with a great deal of affection - the Gobowen Rattler was a regular for me in the late 1950s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I will have at least one for the new layout....

But can we avoid the topic deviation about the third rivet on the left being 2 thousands of an inch too far to the left :-) That sort of thing gets very tedious (in my view).

Thank you Hattons

• Like 1

Are there any details on the chassis? I posted about powering the trailing wheels of a 14XX recently as with the back heavy weight distribution of these locos it seems to me powering the rear axle as well as the driving wheels is the only way to get decent performance.  Traction tyres just don't seem to stay in their grooves on my Airfix and Hornby 14XX.

I was planning either two separate motors or a single motor geared to a layshaft with 50 to 1 gears for the diving wheels and 40 to 1 for the trailing wheels and engineered to last. my converted Hornby Halls are 30 years old and still going strong. 

But the bottom line is a superb looking loco that slips with just one auto coach or hops like a frog is no use to me what so ever.

Are there any details on the chassis?  ... But the bottom line is a superb looking loco that slips with just one auto coach or hops like a frog is no use to me what so ever.

I rather think that with the differences in technology of 30-40 years since the Airfix model was first introduced that reverting to this design will not be an option. You can always use the High Level Kits chassis.

Edited by Coombe Barton

Mr Jones

If you are watching, please can we have an axle diameter and cog size that Ultrascale already produce so that they have no excuse to wring their hands over development costs.

So 3mm driving axle with the same cog as a Collet Goods or 1/8 axle with same cog as the existing Hornby model please.

Thanks

Oakhill

• Like 2

Guest simon.exd

This is Hattons as a leading stockist announcing that Dave has been awarded the project (along with the King, J94s etc) so it's their call. Don't forget that other manufacturers have produced for them so they're reasonably experienced on this score.

That maybe true but DJM or whatever they call themselves are a bunch of dreamers at the moment. The list of products that they are proposing gets longer and longer but nothing in the shops.

While people here are banging on about Hornby duplicating products at least they get the stuff out..

Guest simon.exd

Hi David,

The 14xx is being made to Hattons specification and as such items such as these will hopefully be catered for in the matrix for the finished model.

Please drop them a line to,ask because at present we are 2/3 months off a decent cad/cam on this one.

Oh, and I'm looking at 2015 for this model possibly 3rd quarter if not earlier if all goes well.

Cheers

Dave

Are you saying you are actually going to have something made and in the shops? Really?

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it the 48xx were renumbered to 14xx in 1946

I know that livery changes did not happen overnight......I believe shirt buttons and even the occasional Great Western could be seen in 1947 and GWR into the fifties.

However I would have thought a class renumbering, although not instantaneous, would have to be more immediate.

My question, therefore, is how unrealistic/unlikely would a 48xx loco be on my 1947/1948  layout.

Any comments about how renumbering took place would be much appreciated

That maybe true but DJM or whatever they call themselves are a bunch of dreamers at the moment. The list of products that they are proposing gets longer and longer but nothing in the shops.

While people here are banging on about Hornby duplicating products at least they get the stuff out..

Are you saying you are actually going to have something made and in the shops? Really?

May I suggest that you look at one item in the professional history of Dave Jones from DJ Models before than being any more disparaging as it was he who led on the development and production of the successful Beattie Well Tank series from Kernow. And far from not fulfilling promises it has now reached a second production run, such was the demand.

Now I have not met Dave Jones, nor have any other connection with any manufacturer or retailer, just know that significant retail players in the market wouldn't be using him had his previous actions been less than excellent. They need product to recoup the investment and they are turning to use the expertise of someone with a proven track record in the field.

• RMweb Gold

I can't help feeling that Simon.exd ( ex Dapol ???) has a personal gripe/vendetta against Dave, given most of his 10 posts are snide remarks and negative towards him & his business...

• RMweb Gold

Oh wow, there is a god! Finally someone producing a pre-war model variation without the blessed topfeed! Now here is a challenge, do I get my Mainly Trains detailing kit applied to the old Airfix body and the High Level chassis built before or after this is released (for anyone off to Ladbrookes, an insider tip, it won't be me first across the finish line :D ) I'm sorely tempted by this, can I justify it on top of a 1363 and a steam railmotor.... 

While I think an updated 14xx is a good thing, am I the only one that thinks that the price is rather "strong"? I haven't paid so much to get so little since my last divorce.....

It does seem quite high, but perhaps that is the price you pay for someone willing to do 16 variations with proper detail differences instead of a one moulding fits all with inappropriate liveries applied? Higher prices is a trend that is not going away given the rising costs that keep coming from China. Unfortunately we will have to get used to it and be more selective with our choices, but giving detail options like Hattons are doing gives the consumer better choice than something like say the new 64xx from Bachmann.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1