Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

I myself am happy and excited at the announcement of the 14xx (and accompanying 58xx) by Hattons. I myself have not been modelling OO for a long period of time compared to most people I know. Whenever in the past I had the opportunity to purchase one of the Hornby 14xx's new, there was usually another model that I personally considered more up to date on the market than the 14xx. And there isn't much of a used market for OO where I live which makes it not easy to acquire a Hornby one as well, so I always found myself putting off purchasing a 14xx and getting something else (though I did acquire the Hornby "Oliver" model but I'm not sure if that would count per say) :)

With the new model coming out, I now look forward to acquiring one to run with my other OO models as I know I can expect good quality and attention to detail with the appointment of DJ Models to produce these two classes. Though there may not be a RTR locomotive model on the market from DJ Models as of yet, from seeing the CAD's and EP's of some of the models Dave Jones is currently working on I have no worries of the quality of the models he will produce. I've seen the Dapol Class 22 at my local OO store and was impressed with it and if it at all even shows a hint of what Dave is capable of producing then I look forward to seeing his solo work coming about and I have no problem waiting a bit longer to see them.

• Like 2

As for producing well selling models of locos that lasted into BR days, you have been commissioned to do the GWR Steam Railmotor, long gone before WWII but it will sell well as it is ideal for small branch lines, I have built 4 on commission in 7mm scale.

Loconuts 

I am a 4mm scale 1920s era GWR modeller, albeit working to P4 standards (no EM wheels).

It is fairly obvious that RTR steam period models are skewed towards preserved locomotives, or those that people remember from revenue steam traffic.

I would suggest that the number of people who remember steam rail motors in revenue service are rather thin on the ground, so the interest in the Steam rail motor is from the preserved one running.

A 517 in RTR form would be an absolute headache to do - two wheelbases, inside and outside trailing frames, two boilers, open and closed cabs... the variations go on and on. Not likely! (Besides, I have the Mitchell kit)

The 14XX is instantly recognisable and I have no doubt at all that it will sell well when it reaches the market.

There are indeed many things that could be done but this does strike me at least as a sensible one.

No, I won't be buying it though.... 1920s GWR Is my world. I will get an Austerity body or two though, because I also like Industrials.

Craig W

• Like 4

No, I won't be buying it though.... 1920s GWR Is my world. I will get an Austerity body or two though, because I also like Industrials.

Craig W

I am in 1930's mode and, having abandoned the Airfix model some time ago due to the unsatisfactory running qualities, have built much detailed K's examples of 48XX and 58XX as well as early cab panniers (at least there is no topfeed with the K's) and now a 517. I agree the 14XX should sell well, but I am aware of several modellers for whom, like me, unfortunately have no need to buy another one.

Mike Wiltshire

I am a 4mm scale 1920s era GWR modeller, albeit working to P4 standards (no EM wheels).

It is fairly obvious that RTR steam period models are skewed towards preserved locomotives, or those that people remember from revenue steam traffic.

I would suggest that the number of people who remember steam rail motors in revenue service are rather thin on the ground, so the interest in the Steam rail motor is from the preserved one running.

A 517 in RTR form would be an absolute headache to do - two wheelbases, inside and outside trailing frames, two boilers, open and closed cabs... the variations go on and on. Not likely! (Besides, I have the Mitchell kit)

The 14XX is instantly recognisable and I have no doubt at all that it will sell well when it reaches the market.

There are indeed many things that could be done but this does strike me at least as a sensible one.

Craig W

I agree Craig that it would be a difficult model to satisfy all tastes, however a long wheeled based loco with outside frames on the trailing axle in its final rebuilt state would satisfy many peoples taste.  They were more common on GWR branches than the newer 48xx/58xx's with these replacing the 517's towards the end of the GWR.

No the reason I mentioned this as a model is I believe the trade is giving a distorted picture to British Railway History by only producing examples of preserved locos.  Case in question being the Bachmann Dukedog, only a few produced for use in the 1930's on the old Cambrian Railway, although we did see one working around Oxford.  However they ignored the more numerous Dukes which lasted quite late and served all over the system.  Bird series Bulldogs, last until BR (Seagull)

There is a wealth of pre-nationalise non- preserved locos out there which would be good sellers.  Over to you Dave and Hattons.

Loconuts

This really is excellent news from Hattons - and well done Dave for taking on the manufacture of this commission. I will also be purchasing one, but with such a vast (welcome) choice of liveries the question is which one!

The current Hornby version isn't even on my wish list because it's such an outdated model, and I'd hung my hat on the 64xx to power the auto service. So it looks like I'll have a choice of tanks once I've added both to my collection!

Why oh why ......

This takes me back to the indignant / strident voiceovers that were used to read out letters on Barry Took's "Points of View". You weren't one of them, by any chance...?

.....The current Hornby version isn't even on my wish list because it's such an outdated model,.....

I guess there'll be an increase in the number of used examples (as well as the previous Dapol / GMR / Airfix-branded ones) slipping onto eBay in the months ahead.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

I guess there'll be an increase in the number of used examples (as well as the previous Dapol / GMR / Airfix-branded ones) slipping onto eBay in the months ahead.

There are lots of those on ebay at the best of times so a new model on the market will see hundreds of them.

d

I know what their reply will be, whats a 517?  the fact that the 14xx was just a modernised 517 people seem to over look it.

It is funny that the Airfix model came out in 1978 as that was the year I was commissioned to build a 7mm scale 517 (Fair Rosamund in 1920's condition) for Mike Little, the present owner of 1450.  Scratch built right down to the cab fittings.

I was also commissioned by several customers to build the successful Malcolm Mitchell 7mm scale kit of the 517 when it appeared so that might answer your question on whether it will sell.  To be honest small GWR Locos sell well, look at the Wills Small Metro and the various Pannier Tank kits that have been produced over the years.  The Wills Small Metro sold like hot cakes when it first came out and you were lucky to get your hands on one.

I know this is a commission for you on behalf of Hattons but the RTR trade just seem to be regenerating the same models, is that because they are preserved and can be scanned and less research needs to be done on the prototype?

As for producing well selling models of locos that lasted into BR days, you have been commissioned to do the GWR Steam Railmotor, long gone before WWII but it will sell well as it is ideal for small branch lines, I have built 4 on commission in 7mm scale.

Sorry for being controversial, but just wanted to point out there is a wealth of other locos waiting to be modelled out there.

Loconuts 

As an aside, and nothing to do with the 48XX per se... I do agree with your initial suggestion.

I have always been firmly of the opinion that the RTR manufacturers do models people want, but if they did something completely different as a cohesive range then you would see an upsurge of interest in that. If One or the other major manufacturers was to release a cohesive range of pre grouping locos, coaches and wagons from one of the companies then people will model that.

If people are not prepared to build kits or scratch build then the simple fact is that the RTR manufacturers dictate what people will model.

So, while I think the 48XX is a good model to do, I agree with your sentiment.

Craig W

Another superb announcement, Dave!

Hattons have added mock-up pictures to the listings of these models on their website, of what they expect the final products to look like. However, this does not apply for the factory weathered models.

For the benefit of others, here are links to the pictures:

H1401 4825 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering:

H1402 5814 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering - Lightly weathered:

H1403 4871 in GWR Unlined green with Shirtbutton logo - Lightly weathered:

H1404 5808 in GWR Unlined green with Shirtbutton logo:

H1405 4807 in GWR Wartime black with G W R lettering - Lightly weathered:

H1406 1420 in GWR Unlined green with G W R lettering:

H1407 5802 in GWR Unlined green with G W R lettering - Lightly weathered:

H1408 5816 in BR Lined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS (Gill Sans):

H1409 1470 in BR Lined black with early emblem:

H1410 5819 in BR Unlined black with early emblem:

H1411 5801 in BR Unlined green with G W R lettering - Lightly weathered:

H1412 1474 in BR Unlined black with early emblem - Heavily weathered:

H1413 1444 in BR Lined green with early emblem:

H1414 1450 in BR Lined green with late crest:

H1415 1432 in BR Lined green with late crest - Heavily weathered:

H1416 1409 in BR Unlined green with late crest:

After seeing these, I am heavily leaning toward to either H1408 or H1409 for my order...then again, why not both? ;)

Regards,
Matt

Edited by TTAMTWASOOC

That online catalogue is a fantastic source of information - it's like its been produced by an enthusiast! Which isn't something I feel you can say about announcements from the larger manufacturers. It's good to see and let's hope it starts a new trend within RTR, as it certainly answers the questions that we all have when pondering which new release to order / preorder.

For the benefit of others, here are links to the pictures:

H1409 1470 in BR Lined black with early emblem:

H1409_3117981_Qty1_2.jpg

I am not sure if the livery for 1470 is right. I thought it also had lining on the front splashers, that is certainly how I modeled mine. I based my lining on a photo but I cannot for the life of me find it now (might have been in one of the Ashburton branch books).

Can anyone verify if 1470 had lined splashers or not? As it stands, either Hattons is wrong or my model is. :(

DSCF4164.jpg

• RMweb Gold

H1402 5814 in GWR Unlined green with Great Western lettering - Lightly weathered:

This leads me to ask - should 5814 have bunker steps? I thought they were a later addition? This image of 5811 in the same livery shows none.

This leads me to ask - should 5814 have bunker steps? I thought they were a later addition? This image of 5811 in the same livery shows none.

I assume they've used the same base outline drawing of a 14xx for each, as it's a representation and just added the appropriate liveries and fittings afterward. Otherwise, I'd suggest contacting Hattons.

• RMweb Premium

I am not sure if the livery for 1470 is right. I thought it also had lining on the front splashers, that is certainly how I modeled mine. I based my lining on a photo but I cannot for the life of me find it now (might have been in one of the Ashburton branch books).

Can anyone verify if 1470 had lined splashers or not? As it stands, either Hattons is wrong or my model is.

Yes, it definitely did. There are three pictures in Peter Kay's book "The Ashburton Branch" ISBN 1 899890319 showing 1470 with lining on the front splashers.

(The livery sequence in BR days for 1470 seems to be unlined green/GWR/smoke box plate, then lined black first totem, then unlined black first totem and lastly lined green, second totem. The centre spread in Peter Kay's book shows this last livery- it seems to have lost its fire-iron holders by this point.

Regards

Martin

Edit: it also appears to have had red-backed number plates when in lined black!

Edited by MPR

Out of interest, has anyone actually pre-ordered one yet? That is, not just requested an email when stock is available, but actually given their credit card details as a commitment to buy? I know they won't take payment until they despatch it, but do Hattons give you the option of changing your mind at the last minute, bearing in mind how long it will be until they will be available? (Not that I'd really want to change my mind...).  I do so want the 'Southall' 4825. Dad would have 'copped' that so many times (well once, then ignored it), and I hope he lives long enough to see a decent model of it!       

Out of interest, has anyone actually pre-ordered one yet? That is, not just requested an email when stock is available, but actually given their credit card details as a commitment to buy? I know they won't take payment until they despatch it, but do Hattons give you the option of changing your mind at the last minute, bearing in mind how long it will be until they will be available? (Not that I'd really want to change my mind...).  I do so want the 'Southall' 4825. Dad would have 'copped' that so many times (well once, then ignored it), and I hope he lives long enough to see a decent model of it!       

Yes, I have.  There is the ability to cancel the order, remove items from the order and to change credit card details etc.

If you'd like one, you should order now it to "guarantee" getting the one you want.

Edited by KGV

Im down for both H1412 and H1415 BR weathered locos.

Will the weathering be a usual factory spray with track dirt or a proper covering?

Great Western

The weathering masters will produced by Mercig Studios, and faithfully recreated in the factory.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, has anyone actually pre-ordered one yet?

Yes, H1402 5814, hence my earlier question regarding the bunker steps.

You can certainly cancel pre-orders. I did so with the Hornby 42xx when I got bored of waiting for it and decided to spend the money on something else.

Edited by 57xx