Hattons announce 14xx / 48xx / 58xx

Andy Y

I have photos of 1451 at Hemyock in the early 60s too if a renumbering is an option.

Yes I think 1451 must have been a regular for at least a decade - I've just looked in 'Great Western Branch Line Terminii (volume 2)' by Karau and 1451 appears in there with both early and late emblems with dates ranging from 1952 to 1962. I can't quite make out whether the early one is lined or not...

1462 in black with early emblem is another Hemyock option.

Oh dear.... I've been looking at that Culm inspired plan 'Witheridge' in Iain Rice's 'Layout Design' book (Wild Swan) for three years now, and the 14xx could be just the thing to get me started. Not sure I could do it justice...but I don't have to show anybody...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.... I've been looking at that Culm inspired plan 'Witheridge' in Iain Rice's 'Layout Design' book (Wild Swan) for three years now, and the 14xx could be just the thing to get me started. Not sure I could do it justice...but I don't have to show anybody...!

That sounds like a great project. What size is Iain's plan.

That sounds like a great project. What size is Iain's plan.

It's around 8 feet by 18 to 20 inches, and was apparently designed to suit a Yorkshire vicarage study. It attempts to combine elements of Hemyock and Uffculme, and run west from Tiverton instead of east. It is actually quite complex, with a reversed entry into the goods yard , a mill, dairy, cattle dock, and buildings by Arthur Cadlick Pain. It could accomodate a collection of vintage GW stock and run in any era from around 1905 onwards. I've been working on a simplified version of the original - it's just a matter of convincing myself to do it!

• Like 2

I know that these engines could be seen all over the GW system, but my particular memories are of Oswestry in around 62-63. By then the Cambrian had been re-org'd into the LMR and that region ran them, quite often, with an autotrailer and an intermediate trailer.

Are there an plans to produce these coaches? Hope so!

Regards

... an autotrailer and an intermediate trailer.

May I suggest that you send a note to Hattons encouraging them to commission one. A Collett one should do nicely (Bachmann is doing a Hawksworth BR one.)

Hornby were supposed to re-do their simplified version of the old Dapol autotrailer, but I don't remember what happened to it. (I thought that I ordered one but I don't think it ever appeared.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

I know that these engines could be seen all over the GW system, but my particular memories are of Oswestry in around 62-63. By then the Cambrian had been re-org'd into the LMR and that region ran them, quite often, with an autotrailer and an intermediate trailer.

Regards

I regularly rode the Gobowen Rattler in the late 1950s which was always a 14XX and two auto trailers.  After a Western express from Birmingham the contrast was interesting to say the least!  I know that the Tiverton line had its "Tivy Bumper", were there other nicknames for these trainsets?

• RMweb Premium

I regularly rode the Gobowen Rattler in the late 1950s which was always a 14XX and two auto trailers.  After a Western express from Birmingham the contrast was interesting to say the least!  I know that the Tiverton line had its "Tivy Bumper", were there other nicknames for these trainsets?

The Marlow Donkey was another.

The Saltash Stinker was how it was known in St Budeaux if not elsewhere in the area.[/i]

Was that anything to do with the fact that it frequently tripped a couple of milk tankers from Saltash to Plymouth? I have heard that these vehicles had a certain "atmosphere". ;)

• RMweb Gold

Was that anything to do with the fact that it frequently tripped a couple of milk tankers from Saltash to Plymouth? I have heard that these vehicles had a certain "atmosphere". ;)

I was given the impression (by my cousins and other local youngsters) that it was related to the smoke and its smell although some of the coaching stock was rather on the manky side!  Don't forget that back then the alternative access to Saltash was by ferry - nowhere near as much smoke and plenty of fresh air.  (We used to do one way on the train and the other on the ferry and at Child fares back in the late '50s I'm sure we ended up with change out of sixpence, I think the ferry was a halfpenny single!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Must say im rather excited by this as the 48/1400 class were always a favourite of mine since watching The Titfield Thunderbolt!

Think i might plump for a couple and resurect Ashburton station, yes it was done to death in the 70's but i think its time to come back, or how about The Watlington Branch?

• Like 3

k

Must say im rather excited by this as the 48/1400 class were always a favourite of mine since watching The Titfield Thunderbolt!

Think i might plump for a couple and resurect Ashburton station, yes it was done to death in the 70's but i think its time to come back, or how about The Watlington Branch?

Yes absolutely - a very useful engine indeed, and almost indispensible on so many branch lines. Strangely I think you could happily do the Watlington Branch just using panniers...

Edited by 90rob

Yes absolutely - a very useful engine indeed, and almost indispensible on so many branch lines. Strangely I think you could happily do the Watlington Branch just using panniers...

You could look at the Abingdon Branch, the Abingdon bunk was hauled by a 14xx.

Loconuts

Just a couple of quick questions:

1) any chance of a version in the future as 1401 circa 1953.....

2)anyone know what the soundset will be like for the dcc sound version?

Hi mate,

best to ask Hattons this directly as its something they might be able to tell you.

cheers

Dave