Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Careful, R2219 has the safety valves in the revised reaward position, correct for Blackmoor Vale as preserved, but not for other Southern liveried locos, even those with wedge cabs....

Which is why I used the words "more accurately" rather than "accurately". 

Glad I don't like 'em in Malachite green. :scratchhead:

John

Well, it's confirmed, stupidity IS alive and well especially on eBay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-exeter-/201312741080?nma=true&si=V5KBnfhu9kn%252Fg0HwlSMtQX43%252FtY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The latest Exeter to go under the hammer was sitting pretty at a "sensible" 132 quid having risen slowly with few bidders for pretty much the entire time it's been on auction.

THEN with six seconds to go two snipes came in and the winner (BOTH look a LOT like a "dealer" judging by the sale counter) won the thing for 204 quid! Guess they are still counting on the early version being a sought after entity, and so far not proving themselves wrong! I don't get it, honestly :jester:

EDIT: Makes me wonder - perhaps these jolly folks have no clue another batch are coming - maybe I can buy 10 or so of the next batch and convince some daft traders to pay me 200 quid for each one before they figure it out!

• 4 weeks later...

Just to keep the thread alive <groan> then again, why not :jester:  :O  :jester:

Looks like they have finally hit a high-water mark, latest one ended a 7 day auction with NO bidders at a starting price of 195 quid, likely all downhill to realistic prices from here;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-R3115-EXETER-34001-Super-detail-Unrebuilt-West-Country-Class-Loco-BR-SR-/351370796615?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Xrt2ByX8K75V%252F5QUR9AdgzTTEBI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Just to keep the thread alive <groan> then again, why not :jester:  :O  :jester:

Looks like they have finally hit a high-water mark, latest one ended a 7 day auction with NO bidders at a starting price of 195 quid, likely all downhill to realistic prices from here;

Good spot, Ian - especially liked the "sorting out my personal collection" line

Mal

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-R3115-EXETER-34001-Super-detail-Unrebuilt-West-Country-Class-Loco-BR-SR-/351370796615?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Xrt2ByX8K75V%252F5QUR9AdgzTTEBI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Sigh, bring back those days when Wilton's were 50 quid.....

• 2 weeks later...

Sigh, bring back those days when Wilton's were 50 quid.....

What a strange thing the second-hand market is.

Being something of a collector of Spamcans and Merchant Navys, I was pleased to buy this morning a 'Golden Arrow' BoB R2369 34074  '46 Squadron' from Golden Arrow set, with arrows front and side, but no nameplates or detail pack, for just over £76. Forward safety valves, wide cab, early 'British Railways' green. Looks mint.

Did these models come with nameplates in the set I wonder?  Built 5/48 possibly not named until November?  I can possibly use photos in the Irwell book for some kind of guide.

my embellishment of seller's photo...

post-7929-0-96256200-1430952045_thumb.jpg

The lamp holders on the front lights are all untouched, a good test of handling, and reliable seller, so I am well pleased.

HI Rob

Yes it should have name plates, do not understand why it dos not have any?

Darren

Well it's second hand from a set, so presumably lost by previous owner or something like that. Maybe that explains what I judge to be a low-ish price?

edit;  photos of the set show it in all advertising without nameplate.  Google search 'Hornby R2369'.

• RMweb Gold

Being something of a collector of Spamcans and Merchant Navys, I was pleased to buy this morning a 'Golden Arrow' BoB R2369 34074  '46 Squadron' from Golden Arrow set, with arrows front and side, but no nameplates or detail pack, for just over £76. Forward safety valves, wide cab, early 'British Railways' green. Looks mint.

Did these models come with nameplates in the set I wonder?  Built 5/48 possibly not named until November?  I can possibly use photos in the Irwell book for some kind of guide.

attachicon.gif34074_$_58abc1_r1200.jpg

The lamp holders on the front lights are all untouched, a good test of handling, and reliable seller, so I am well pleased.

It won't have nameplates, there is a photo of 74 in the Power of the Light Pacifics dated July 4th 1949 with her still without nameplates.

• RMweb Gold

I picked up a 34074 shell and tender on ebay. Also in fair nick. The arrows come off easily, as does the GA logo on the smokebox, but the former do leave holes in the paint & lining which will need filling.

The first Battle of Britains went to Salisbury. At that time the Golden Arrow was a West Country turn and someone in authority commented that it would be more appropriate if the BoBs worked the Kent coast boat trains in Battle of Britain territory and the West Countries went, well, West.

Starting with 21C154, with a few exceptions. the BoBs slowly replaced the WCs in the South East. But after the first well-documented BoB naming ceremonies enthusiasm for naming seemed to fade and the later BoBs were without names for long periods. 34074 was one of a batch of BoBs kept at Stewarts Lane for Golden Arrow duty un-named, replacing the West Countries 21C133 to 21C140 which went to Brighton.

Quite why Brighton was considered West Country and not Battle of Britain territory I'm not sure! Anyway, the whole idea was quietly dropped and a mix of BoBs and WCs became the norm again in most areas of the Southern Region until rebuilding brought new issues to bear.

I don't have a date for the naming of 34074 46 Squadron but it would have been late 1949 to February 1950 when the real squadron was disbanded for several years.

Interesting that when it was named the crest was put in the higher position which would have prevented the Golden Arrows being used even though it retained the special clips, so it had ceased to be a regular GA loco by then. Named Battle of Britains used regularly on the Golden Arrow had their crests lowered to leave room for the arrow between nameplate and crest.

It won't have nameplates, there is a photo of 74 in the Power of the Light Pacifics dated July 4th 1949 with her still without nameplates.

Thankyou.  I didn't think Hornby would get that wrong.  RAF 46 Squadron had an interesting history, too. The Battle of Britain and naval protection in the Mediterranean ...

I cobbled-together a named 34074 here...

https://www.facebook.com/brsteamphotos/photos/a.378493222316349.1073741838.203786143120392/464961390336198/?type=1&theatre

being of a generation where many parents served in WW2 RAF Squadrons of various kinds.

Rob

attachicon.gif34074_$_58abc1_r1200.jpg

Hi Rob, the set did not come with nameplates for the loco, hence why under some rather bizarre circumstances, my 34074 ended up like this with a (un)professionally cut down tender. The smokebox hinge damage evident in the photo was only discovered and fixed a few weeks ago;

post-16674-0-38967200-1431156000_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, being such an early release, it was non-DCC ready, and the mounting screw was in so tight that I had to drill it out in the end. It's rather bizarre compared to the current BOB's in that respect, especially in the rather alarming wobble of the trailing truck. The brake rodding and other details are sat in a tub somewhere under yonder layout....

Cheers, 60800

I used precision paints post-1954 BR Green, modelmaster lining, numbers and crests, and the old style of Humbrol gloss varnish. It was my first repaint, and when I bother to dust it it doesn't look too bad overall, but I feel that the lining is better than what Hornby was doing at the time on Spam cans. The tender is made up of it's original high sided tender and a Hornby BR1G tender from a scrapped 9F.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

I've just had notification from Hattons that the re-released Exeter is available for pre-order at £108. Hopefully that will deflate the ridiculous selling prices offered on e-bay and the like !!!!

I doubt it!

Ebayists only price by what the "going rate" on ebay is, they just look for what they are selling and price to match with a bias to the top end.

The best joke is old Triang Hornby "Exeters" priced at the same level as the most recent batch....

As for Hattons pre-order offer, its almost as good as the Club price for "Manston"!

• RMweb Gold

I've just had notification from Hattons that the re-released Exeter is available for pre-order at £108. Hopefully that will deflate the ridiculous selling prices offered on e-bay and the like !!!!

Exactly what I paid for mine last November. Good news,indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

with all this fine weather, I decided to take my Exeter out for a spin in the garden. Yes, I am one of those saps that paid over the odds during the period when it was stating to look as if there would not be another run. However, I don't regret the purchase or the enhancements. She runs wonderfully!

Yep, she is a real stunner!

exeterSteam2.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Now that Hornby's Engine Shed blog has confirmed the "new" Exeters (and the other Light Pacifics) will arrive soon, I was wondering whether there will be any differences compared to the original batch and immediately thought about the colour. I do hope Hornby hasn't used the same flat blue-ish version of Brunswick green as seen on the shots of the Kings; that would be a major disappointment. Personally I'm waiting for Bude but I suspect all will be the same.

Personaly am glad that Bude is early 2016. My card has taken a serious knock between 700, class 50, 2 S15s, Birch Grove and 2 O2s coming out in quick secession. Then we have radials drew at some point too.

Glad Hornby is back on form for releases though.

I do hope Hornby hasn't used the same flat blue-ish version of Brunswick green as seen on the shots of the Kings; that would be a major disappointment.

That will be interesting to see. Hopefully people can note what factory produced the light Pacifics when they arrive.

Personaly am glad that Bude is early 2016. My card has taken a serious knock between 700, class 50, 2 S15s, Birch Grove and 2 O2s coming out in quick secession. Then we have radials drew at some point too.

Glad Hornby is back on form for releases though.

Is 'Bude' early 2016 as the Hornby retail site has expected date as 13/12/2015, but has 'Exeter' as 31/12/2015 which in all probability will put Exeter into early 2016

Archived