Hornby EXETER

Standardtank

• RMweb Gold

Just an update as my Okehampton arrived tonight via a neighbour.

Out the box the wire to he whistle was broken but superglued back in place.

However the bigger issue is that it wouldn't run on DC.

On closer inspection the insulation on one wire from the loco body is broken but not touching anything so it needs repairing but that didn't seem to be the problem.

Tender body came off very easily once unscrewed with no force what so over.

There was solder flash across the terminals on the tender connection so that was removed but the soldered connections aren't great.

The main concern was when I unscrewed the 8 pin socket one of the folder pads was bridged with folder and the single red wire broken. Whilst resoldering it, another wire came off one of the other pads.

The wiring is quite shocking so you need to unscrew the decoder docket to check for any bridging before plugging a decoder in or remove the socket altogether and replace all the wiring but don't plug a decoder in till you have checked it otherwise you could have a fried decoder. I am very pleased that it didn't work in a way as otherwise I wouldn't have checked the wiring to the decoder socket.

I could have returned this but that would be far more hassle than just sorting it out myself.

The loco is now working.

A suitable email will be going to a Hornby about this.

I just wish that I had taken photos before sorting the problems out.

Edit

A couple of photos showing the damaged wire between loco and body plus general layout inside the tender

post-1557-0-99329100-1452115831_thumb.jpeg

post-1557-0-15194400-1452115843_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

The airsmoothed releases are factory code CHL01. My Bude and Manston are both OK on dc.It would be informative to know if others have the same problem with rebuild Okehampton.Is that too from CHL01 ? Not good and sadly all too familiar.

When mine arrives I'll find out

• RMweb Gold

My Okehampton is CHL01. No problems at all with the electrics.  Getting the body off was easier than with Exeter and a Lenz Standard+ decoder fits with no problem.  The only issue was getting the body back on - found it very difficult to get it to seat properly.

Okehampton now "Out of Stock" at Hornby, I hope to hell they have actually managed to ship mine after all the faffing about they did!

When I get that and Bude, which should come TOGETHER, I'll try and report in on how my attempts to wreck the tenders  install the decoders goes...

• RMweb Gold

Okehampton now "Out of Stock" at Hornby, I hope to hell they have actually managed to ship mine after all the faffing about they did!

When I get that and Bude, which should come TOGETHER, I'll try and report in on how my attempts to wreck the tenders  install the decoders goes...

Ian

Fingers crossed you have one on the way.

The tender body once unscrewed came off without any pressure.

The only thing to watch is the handbrake stand and that the spigot slots back into the chassis. I now tend to cut the spigot off so its no longer an issue. The rear steps are just popped back in their slots with fingers or tweezers.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.....should this model Exeter...r3115   have a speedo cable fitted... cannot find any service sheet or info...?

The only one of the current three that should (and does) have the speedo cable is 'Bude', modelled as running from early 1961.

'Exeter' is modelled in early 1957 condition (but, incorrectly, features an AWS battery box, not fitted until after the loco was rebuilt) and 'Okehampton' is as rebuilt in late 1957, before speedos began to be fitted to the West Countries.

John

The only one of the current three that should (and does) have the speedo cable is 'Bude', modelled as running from early 1961.

'Exeter' is modelled in early 1957 condition (but, incorrectly, features an AWS battery box, not fitted until after the loco was rebuilt) and 'Okehampton' is as rebuilt in late 1957, before speedos began to be fitted to the West Countries.

John

Thanks john... thought it was missing.... :scratchhead: 

• RMweb Gold

I see Manston has the early crest with AWS. Did it really run like that?

She definitely ran with AWS and a high-sided tender, however the book of West Country and Battle of Britain Pacifics doesn't have a date as to when it was fitted annoyingly!

'Okehampton' is as rebuilt in late 1957, before speedos began to be fitted to the West Countries.

Not sure if Hornby has actually said it is as rebuilt in late 1957?

Early rebuilds like Okehampton were initally given black nameplates on rebuilding. Hornby has gone for later red ones, even if no speedo yet.

• RMweb Gold
GraemeMc, on 08 Jan 2016 - 22:22, said:

This picture (albeit undated) from the album that links through from the Southern Locomotives website seems to show Manston with the second crest, on a high sided tender, and no AWS still fitted.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/1334070Manston#5592820936779222898

A later photo in the same section shows Manston with AWS fitted and still with high-sided tender.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/1334070Manston#5641027839691878658

• RMweb Gold

Question: for how long did she carry red backed nameplates and when or if were they changed to blue or black ? I confess I am surprised she still had the original tender as late as the photo suggests.

I can't help you with nameplate colour but Manston's tender was cut down during a works visit over December 1962/January 1963; very late, possibly the last to be done.

The second emblem was evidently applied whilst she was still working out of Dover or Ashford as the first photo shows her at Folkestone.

AWS would probably have been fitted preparatory to her transfer from Ashford to Exmouth Junction in November 1961, possibly en-route. I think that would have been a job for Eastleigh rather than 72A doing it themselves. If not then, during the works visit at the end of March 1962 as shown in the second photo.

We'd need a photo dated during those four months to be absolutely sure which. But Hornby's latest model needs either the emblem to be changed or the AWS box removed in order to be correct.

John

• RMweb Gold
Ian Hargrave, on 09 Jan 2016 - 08:12, said:

Question: for how long did she carry red backed nameplates and when or if were they changed to blue or black ? I confess I am surprised she still had the original tender as late as the photo suggests.

A few tenders were never modified and the locos ran with them right up till withdrawal.  34078 "222 Squadron" is one such loco (as modelled by Hornby a while ago) and kept its original tender till withdrawn in September 1964. Here it is at Padstow a couple of months previously.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p978695097/h21561435#h21561435

And history of the tenders here - http://www.semgonline.com/steam/blp_ten.html

• RMweb Gold

A few tenders were never modified and the locos ran with them right up till withdrawal.  34078 "222 Squadron" is one such loco (as modelled by Hornby a while ago) and kept its original tender till withdrawn in September 1964. Here it is at Padstow a couple of months previously.

http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p978695097/h21561435#h21561435

And history of the tenders here - http://www.semgonline.com/steam/blp_ten.html

To save you wading through all that, a quick summary.

The following locos retained high sided tenders throughout their careers: 34069, 34072, 34074, 34075 and 34078.

34069 only ran with a 4500 gallon one, and 34078 only with a 5500 gallon version. The others started with the larger type but lost them to rebuilts and received 4500 gallon ones in exchange.  

34080 had a cut down version (4500g) from June 1959 but it was damaged in an accident in 1964 and was swapped for 34075's high-sider when the latter was withdrawn.

34075 thus went for scrap with a cut down tender but never ran with one. 34080 was herself withdrawn at the end of 1964.

John

• RMweb Gold

I can't help you with nameplate colour but Manston's tender was cut down during a works visit over December 1962/January 1963; very late, possibly the last to be done.

The second emblem was evidently applied whilst she was still working out of Dover or Ashford as the first photo shows her at Folkestone.

AWS would probably have been fitted preparatory to her transfer from Ashford to Exmouth Junction in November 1961, possibly en-route. I think that would have been a job for Eastleigh rather than 72A doing it themselves. If not then, during the works visit at the end of March 1962 as shown in the second photo.

We'd need a photo dated during those four months to be absolutely sure which. But Hornby's latest model needs either the emblem to be changed or the AWS box removed in order to be correct.

John

Those 2 photo's help narrow things down a lot. The first one clearly shows Manston with speedo fitted while still shedded at Dover (74C) which could tie in with a works visit in Feb-Mar 1960 for a Light Intermediate (probably got the Crest changed at the same time). The Second photo is dated a week after a Non Classified visit to works in Late March 62, as there are no works visits mentioned between those dates, it does tie it down to that works visit more or less.

The shed code is therefore also wrong on the model it should be 74C, not 72A and also should be positioned above the lower hinge strap on the smoke box door.

Those 2 photo's help narrow things down a lot. The first one clearly shows Manston with speedo fitted while still shedded at Dover (74C) which could tie in with a works visit in Feb-Mar 1960 for a Light Intermediate (probably got the Crest changed at the same time). The Second photo is dated a week after a Non Classified visit to works in Late March 62, as there are no works visits mentioned between those dates, it does tie it down to that works visit more or less.

The shed code is therefore also wrong on the model it should be 74C, not 72A and also should be positioned above the lower hinge strap on the smoke box door.

I think you may be correct on dates for the speedo and AWS.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/1334070Manston#5700899119282162114

This picture, from the same gallery, is of the Engine Record Card for 34070, and right down in the bottom right hand corner is the hand written note Speedometer gear fitted 3/60. Frustratingly somebody has also written AWS but no date or other info.

I think though there is possible evidence that you are correct about the March '62 date being the relevant one for 34070 having AWS fitted however. The next picture in the gallery is of the rear of the Engine Record Card and I am of the opinion that the entry for March '62 appears to written in the same in colour as the AWS on the front. Not only that but the A and even more so the S look to be the same handwriting, can it be taken that they were written by the same person, at the same time, presumably March 1962.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116839141471298057728/1334070Manston#5700899133080397778

It's questionable as to whether Manston ever carried Red nameplates at all. Multiple searches have turned up no results.

Regards,

Matt

• RMweb Gold

I do recall reading something about Manston carrying Red nameplates, but at this time of night I can't recall where I read it - it was a hell of a lot of Bulleids ago for me ;)

Those old eyes of yours Ian, it was a month before my sister was born (or 10 months after my better half was born) that Manston's tender was changed (January 1963)

Archived