Hattons does it again

oldknotty

That doesn't sound like Hattons at all, I've dealt with them for years, I get them to post things to me rather than driving the 5 miles to the shop as it's cheaper than paying for the petrol and the tunnel.

They also don't have a Mr Grunt on their staff list, I do know one of them and will be seeing him tomorrow so I will see if they've ever had one ;)

Quite a strange first posting too if you don't mind me saying :unsure:

Yes, I wondered if my post might cause a few ripples - but, to use that popular forum acronym, YMMV.

I can only speak from experience, which I also find puzzling given the general warmth and praise for Hattons on this forum. I also accept that it was a one-off, and therefore untypical, but having experienced better service from a number of other retailers, I'm in no rush to go back.

As for "Mr Grunt", that was not a proper name, of course, but a depiction of the unhelpful attitude when I disturbed him on a Saturday afternoon. I wasn't at all discourteous, but the phone "conversation" was a waste of time and necessitated an e-mail exchange to get things put right.

If you're satisfied, or better still, pleased with the service you get from Hattons, that's fine by me.

Guest Max Stafford

Eddie, I'd back Beast up here and say that this sounds very much a one off in my experience. I've been using Hattons the better part of ten years and I've found their service to be invariably excellent. Living 100 miles or so away, I can safely say I have no connection other than as a satisfied customer. I've had a few resin buildings in that time too, but they've been absolutely fine.

I think you've just been unlucky in this instance.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I wondered if my post might cause a few ripples - but, to use that popular forum acronym, YMMV.

I can only speak from experience, which I also find puzzling given the general warmth and praise for Hattons on this forum. I also accept that it was a one-off, and therefore untypical, but having experienced better service from a number of other retailers, I'm in no rush to go back.

As for "Mr Grunt", that was not a proper name, of course, but a depiction of the unhelpful attitude when I disturbed him on a Saturday afternoon. I wasn't at all discourteous, but the phone "conversation" was a waste of time and necessitated an e-mail exchange to get things put right.

If you're satisfied, or better still, pleased with the service you get from Hattons, that's fine by me.

I'm not convinced that referring to a member of staff as Mr Grunt is appropriate, we only have your version of events here and you haven't even said "Hello" - not that it's mandatory but generally most people don't post a mini rant as their first one :unsure:

Apologies for another 'Me too!' post, but I've only had very good experience of using Hattons. Yesterday was typical.

At tea-time, a very friendly lady phoned me, to say that some years ago, when Bac-Far first announced the green BR Standard 3MT, I had pre-ordered one. Now it had finally come into stock, was I still interested in it? I told her that, yes, please, I did still want it.

So then the staff member told me that, as the order was so old, the credit card I had given them had expired. When I gave her a current card number, she asked me to stay on line while she processed the order, and then confirmed that all had gone through.

Today, the usual confirmation and progress e-mails, and tomorrow, the loco will, almost certainly, arrive.

That, together with their prices, is why I trust Hattons as my main retailer. I think it's a normal Hattons experience!

Richard.

Oh dear - ordered 2 Dapol MkIII coaches last night (limited stocks on some seconds @ £7) and 3 Farish wagons.

When I looked on the site after making the purchase the items count on the availability had gone down by the ordered amounts and the three wagons disappeared from the site altogether as they were the last three in stock.

However, this afternoon Hattons only picked the three wagons and altered the order to remove the 2 HST coaches with no explanation why.

I guess I'll have to call in the morning to see what happened, I thought I had made a successful transaction:(

Edit: Mrs Woodenhead has pointed out I've only been charged £2 postage, perhaps the order has been split if the coaches are in the shop and the wagons in the new warehouse. Email sent for clarification though.

Many years ago when they were in the old shop and Norman still tottered around, getting him on a bad day would illicit a Mr Grunt moment. That was in around 1993, and I always seemed to catch him on a good day after that to the point that he started bringing 'new' Hornby Dublo super detail coaches from the stock room. You could always tell how good a mood he was in, by how low a price he asked for those coaches. I was sorry when he passed away.

Service since they moved to the new shop has always been good for me, though I don't order so much these days so am probably not the most influential barometer of their service.

Hmmmm,

I ordered some Maunsell carriages on Monday, and I was told that they had been dispatched on Tuesday via a 48 hr courier service. And they still haven't arrived.

Before I cause a riot, I must say that I think that the problem here probably lies with DHL, and not Hattons, bu the fact remains that I paid £71 for the things, and I would like to have them.

Probably gonna leave it until Monday before I get in touch to say anything, but I have to admit, this is beginning to give me doubts about buying from them again.

Guest Digital

I have always had excellent service from Hattons.

Have dealt with their customer services a few times and they have always been very helpful.

Regards

John

Probably gonna leave it until Monday before I get in touch to say anything, but I have to admit, this is beginning to give me doubts about buying from them again.

Warehouse is shut till Monday so probably best waiting till then, I spoke to them this morning about my order and they can't investigate from the store.

Guest 40-something

HI Folks

I ordered a Dapol 153 on thurs eve (about 7pm) and the parcel arrived saturday morning. Chose the first class post method, tried the DHL 48hr delivery before and it took over a week to arrive!

• RMweb Premium

Disclaimer : No connection with the business, just a long-term and generally satisfied customer.

Hattons has a huge turnover of boxes and a not insignificant number of what I suspect are mostly part-time staff. Quite simply some pack better than others. I have always been open and honest about the fact that Hattons parcels can sometimes arrive looking rather untidy but I have never had any item damaged in transit. They are not as generous with bubble wrap or "air bags" as are some others but do tend to pad the packing with numerous catalougues and flyers instead.

It is always possible that the single package complained of above was a rogue and packed by someone who might no longer be employed. Just a thought. In terms of the response to a telephoned enquiry I have certainly heard frmo other modellers that this may not always be the best way to get a result. The shop can be busy and until the warehouse operation was moved out could also be a nightmare to even navigate. This would have placed some pressure on counter staff though does not provide an excuse for poor service. The phones do not, I believe, go to the warehouse meaning all calls are fielded by counter staff in the first instance.

Far better, in my opinion, to email and let the backroom staff take care of everything.

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered a point motor and base Yesterday afternoon ( Wednesday ) Arrived in Post this afternoon ( Thursday ) and for £2 postage. Cant get better service than that. I would probably buy local for these things, but the nearest model shop is about 20 miles away. Work out petrol and parking and its cheaper by post.

Anyone seen the advert in this months BRM - showing off the new warehouse - I was thinking it would a simple lock up but it's a bona fine big new warehouse - they must shift some stuff to justify that. Am I right that they also act as a wholesaler to some of the smaller outlets?

Well despite my first attempt to buy from Hattons failing last year for some reason my card just wouldn't be accepted by them - we tried all ways but in the end both me and Hattons gave up.

Many other stores would just have rejected the order and not tried to help but Hattons did all they could- we never did find out what the problem was.

Having seen the feedback on the forum and the positive if somewhat I decided to try again now that my credit card has been updated by the bank ( I now get points - lucky me !!) and ordered points and a 21 pin decoder on Saturday afternoon, didn't expect to see anything happen until Monday and thus didn't expect to get anything until the end of this week at the earliest.

Tuesday evening I come home to a lovely brown parcel with string and questions from the wife (luckily I could argue the decoder was to fit a class 20 that my colleagues bought me as a leaving present)- She'll have a few more when she sees whats on the list for next months order wink.gif

Colin

Lynda and I visited Hattons during the first week of this month - I think it was Wednesday 3rd. The shop was somewhat in disarray. As you go in the front door, the area to the right was being refitted.

The explanation for this was that all the mail order side had been shifted to a warehouse in the Speke/Widnes area and that area of the shop was being expanded for walk in trade - and no it will not have a full working layout to test trains on.

Unfortunately, the staff who "man" the phones and deal with your mail order queries were also having to deal with customers who walk in off the street. That is not an ideal situation by any means.

However it is hopefully temporary so that the warehouse will deal with the Internet and phone orders thus leaving the shop staff to deal with the "live" customers.

This month was our one and only visit to the shop and we ceraatinly did not experience a Mr Grunt - in fact once the staff were free from the phones, we and other customers had their 100% undivided attention.

Needless to say that we will leave it a while before we visit the shop again.

In respect of ordering by Internet, we can say with hand on heart that we have never had any problems with the products supplied by Hattons.

Neither Lynda nor I have any connection with Hattons other than being very satisfied cuctomers.

Regards

David

Guest no1stpaddy

Never had an issue with Hattons, been ordering items from them for years and they have always given great service.

My latest purchase from them, the Dapol Class 66 Colas set, sums up the service. Ordered Wednesday arrived friday and at a bargain price of £54 plus postage.

I would also like to add my praise of Hattons. I purchased a ViTrains Class 47 from them, only to find broken brake gear and a missing buffer. One pone call later and I was sending the broken model back. Upon arrival of the replacement this morning I found I had almost an identical set of problems! I rang them again and asked for the replacement parts which they were happy to send me at no extra cost. After sales service that I cannot fault :)

• 1 month later...

Notified yesterday that my limited edition green 33 was ready (had to update card details). Had a confirmatory email and a personal reply to an appreciation-and-it-must-be-b****y-cold-up-there message at 5:30 this morning :O . Now packed and despatched. Good on you guys and Merry Christmas :D .

Hattons excel again !!!! ,I placed two orders on 20th December one with Hattons and one with another shop. Hattons packed and dispatched on 21st December ,this parcel I received in Australia on Wednesday morning 29th December and I might add by Royal Mail. Again Hattons excell :D . The other order I have no idea if its been packed posted or what ,all the items were in stock :( . Should of placed this order with Hattons ,I have learnt my lesson nobody beats them on service :D

Archived