Decoder for Heljan class 40

Steve Viney

I have a Heljan 0 gauge Class 31 which I have had for a while and yesterday I bought a Class 40.

They both require decoders but I am not going to go for sound due to the expense

I already have a Digitrax DH465 decoder which according to the packaging is rated at 4amps/6amps peak

Would that be able to handle the Heljans?  If not, what would anyone advise?  I have been in touch with a retailer who suggests a Lenz Gold 10440 which appears to be rated at 3amps continuous/10amps peak.

I am not doubting the retailer but would appreciate the opinions of anyone who has experience of fitting non sound decoders into the

0 gauge Heljans.

I have a similar posting on the DCC section of the Gauge 0 Guild, without replies so far (but it's early days yet) and just need to spread my enquiry as wide as possible.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm no expert on Heljan locos, but understand they're a bit thirsty...

If you have a DC analog controller, and an ammeter with a suitable range, you can run the loco up to the buffers, wind up the controller slowly and observe the ammeter. It will peak just before the wheels start to spin.

There may also be some info on the Heljan website, or in the instructions.

HTH

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

I run an exhibition layout, Dubmill sidings, and have half a dozen or so Heljan locomotives on it. We can sometimes be running 3 Heljans all at the same time using a Gaugemaster Prodify wireless system with a gaugemaster booster in circuit (and an NCE circuit breaker just in case we drive one the wrong way into a point, currently set at 5 amps).

I use the NCE D408SR in most of my Heljans which is rated 4 amps continuous and 12 amps peak. Never had a problem with them. I have also used either TCS T1 or the Gaugemaster DD0025 chips with one per motor. These are rated about 1.4 continuous and 2 peak. give them both the same address and away you go. I've just got a class 40 and I'll be putting the D408SR in it.

Archived