Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

The traction much as expected from the heavy construction. Have I missed seeing a loco weight figure in this thread, or are we still waiting for some kind owner to put it on the scales?

Easily missed!  Post #580 has details of loco, loco+tender, tender  (592g for loco+tender)

I have forgiven Heljan...

what a lovely model! Runs sweetly too.

Hardly had a to a thing to it, virtually straight from the box. :)

4706_47XX_GWR_portrait40_1abcd_r1200.jpg

please note, width of front wheels edited, also driving axle centres blackened, otherwise fairly close to the truth.

Why edit it at all?

People (like me) would actually like to see what they truly look like.

It looks to be a very nice model, but goodness knows why Heljan did not do what Hornby did with their support struts. I personally would change the pony wheels...The boss is too large. Hornby make a neat 3' 2" GWR wheel if it is available (Peters Spares?) 

The driving wheel spokes are not flared into the hubs either...  and as mentioned many times by others the superheater? bulge on the boiler-smokebox join area is too small and the lance on the smokebox front is too small and the proportions of the smokebox door and front is a bit wrong and the number plate is too small and the shed plate too big... 

but to me it looks absolutely lovely.   Regardless.  To be honest I find the abilities of many railway modellers, and I use the word 'modellers' quite loosely, to do little more than find fault in models quite off-putting

Why edit it at all?

Can you not look at Rails photos for such things?  My editing is simply to make what is for me and I hope some others a picture of a model made to resemble somewhat the the kind of thing I might have seen many years ago, like this... which I know is not to every modeller's taste, but I enjoy making pictures.

post-7929-0-32365700-1524010435_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-36136700-1524010231_thumb.jpg

pictures edited

Will cease putting further edited pics on RMweb. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Rob,

The subtle changes to the smoke box door plates in the bottom photo make a huge difference to the appearance and character in my opinion - spotted them straight away. Easily achieved in real life too!

Please don’t stop the pics Rob. I for one enjoy seeing. There is a broad church of like, dislikes and interests on here but that’s what makes RMWeb so varied and class leading in the forum world. If someone doesn’t like something it’s easy to just move along to the next. I for one have no interest in modern image models and I pass over the subjects but I respect those that do. Carry on Rob, you’ve done a great job rebuilding your 47xx and now deserve to show in its finery, with or without the faults.

• Like 1

Why edit it at all?

Well done. Your opinion has persuaded Rob to stop posting his pics. Personally I enjoy his excellent edited images which, in my view, is another form of modelling. It’s such a shame when one rogue view can spoil the enjoyment of others. Rob had already posted unedited views and, as others say, no-one is forcing you to look at these images.

People (like me) hope Rob reconsider.

• RMweb Gold

Please do continue to put up edited pictures Rob. I certainly enjoy looking at them.

We're open minded on here, at least l like to think that we are. To me, criticism of people's artistic work is not warranted.

The driving wheel spokes are not flared into the hubs either... and as mentioned many times by others the superheater? bulge on the boiler-smokebox join area is too small and the lance on the smokebox front is too small and the proportions of the smokebox door and front is a bit wrong and the number plate is too small and the shed plate too big...

but to me it looks absolutely lovely. Regardless. To be honest I find the abilities of many railway modellers, and I use the word 'modellers' quite loosely, to do little more than find fault in models quite off-putting

Can you not look at Rails photos for such things? My editing is simply to make what is for me and I hope some others a picture of a model made to resemble somewhat the the kind of thing I might have seen many years ago, like this... which I know is not to every modeller's taste, but I enjoy making pictures.

4706_47XX_BR_country_3abcde_r1200.jpg

4706_47XX_portrait10_2abcdef_r1200.jpg

pictures edited

Please don’t Rob. Your pictures are a joy to behold, and if anyone is confused by them then so be it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We've been here before Rob haven't we ? There will always be those who have views opposed to yours,especially on an open forum like RMWeb.That's the nature of the human condition.We are all individuals and some perhaps are a little more contrary than others.

Your images have consistently brightened many a dreary morning for me for a good many years now and ,as others have said,please carry on and don't be deterred by one post and a few supporting icons.This is what you do and you are good at it.Most of us recognise this and appreciate your posts,I'm sure.If you feel a bit sore and sensitive,it's naturally understandable.Nobody likes a dash of cold water thrown their way.

Just chalk it up to experience.Your best response ? Carry on just the way you have been doing.Remember that many works of art have been fiercely condemned to the extent that they have on occasion been vandalised.They survive.So will you.

Why edit it at all?

As has already been said, most retailers will have pictures of these ‘as they come’, so why express such a negative attitude to someone’s work?
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I completely agree. I follow Robs Facebook page that he posts all his images to and it is a great page to just browse for a while. Fantastically done and some really bring back the feel of steam in its heyday.

• Like 3

ROB 

Please  continue  to  post  your  pictures  on  here,  do not  let  one  negative comment  put  you  off,  there  are    retailers  websites  with  photos  of the  actual model  should  any one  wish to look!!

Best Wishes   Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The driving wheel spokes are not flared into the hubs either...  and as mentioned many times by others the superheater? bulge on the boiler-smokebox join area is too small and the lance on the smokebox front is too small and the proportions of the smokebox door and front is a bit wrong and the number plate is too small and the shed plate too big... 

but to me it looks absolutely lovely.   Regardless.  To be honest I find the abilities of many railway modellers, and I use the word 'modellers' quite loosely, to do little more than find fault in models quite off-putting

Can you not look at Rails photos for such things?  My editing is simply to make what is for me and I hope some others a picture of a model made to resemble somewhat the the kind of thing I might have seen many years ago, like this... which I know is not to every modeller's taste, but I enjoy making pictures.

attachicon.gif4706_47XX_BR_country_3abcde_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif4706_47XX_portrait10_2abcdef_r1200.jpg

pictures edited

C'mon Kiwi. ignore these negative plonkers............I love your stuff, keep doing it, wish I had the talent, The life your images contain reflect what was, I know I was there some 60 years ago. 

Rgds,,,,,Mike

Thicken your skin buddy ar@holes should not win!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Could be an LMS van that hasn't been repainted yet.

Jason

Blown the photo up reveals it a Southern van judging by the roof line and planking. 

The driving wheel spokes are not flared into the hubs either... and as mentioned many times by others the superheater? bulge on the boiler-smokebox join area is too small and the lance on the smokebox front is too small and the proportions of the smokebox door and front is a bit wrong and the number plate is too small and the shed plate too big.

Hi Rob,

PLEASE don’t see this as a dig - it looks like you are asking a question here so here we go. The bulge on the side of the smokebox / boiler join is a cover for two oil pipes that go from the hydrostatic displacement lubricator in the cab to the live steam bits in the smokebox. To the regulator and down through the steam supply to the valves and cylinders. The two pipes come up from under the cladding and into the smokebox via two shut off valves and a pair of 90 degree elbows. That’s all it is. I hope this helps!

Also, if producing and posting the pictures make you and others happy then that’s all we need to know - keep up the good work sir!

All the best,

Castle

As an aside - I just don’t know where this superheater cover thing started but it’s quite a common misunderstanding and if a lot of people have repeted the mistake it becomes sort of pervasive. If that person who thought it up were to see the superheater in our Castle, the header of which can JUST be picked up by two people and goes across almost the full diameter of the boiler front tube plate, bolted to this are the 14 superheater elements which go over two thirds the length of the barrel. It just doesn’t fit under the little cover!

Edited by Castle