Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

As originator of this thread Ryan I hope you won't mind, while you await delivery of your BR black 4706, that I put up this very mildly enhanced pic of this beautiful engine.

4706_47XX_GWR_portrait60_3abcdefg_r1200a.jpg

picture edited.

I love the look of the model, and this pic reminds me of old official photos done with plate cameras and slow shutter speeds.

cheers

Looks fantastic Rob. Your making me more and more impatient though.

• RMweb Gold

As originator of this thread Ryan I hope you won't mind, while you await delivery of your BR black 4706, that I put up this very mildly enhanced pic of this beautiful engine.

attachicon.gif4706_47XX_GWR_portrait60_3abcdefg_r1200a.jpg

picture edited.

I love the look of the model, and this pic reminds me of old official photos done with plate cameras and slow shutter speeds.

cheers

Rob do something with those undersized cab plates. :imsohappy:

• RMweb Premium

Rob do something with those undersized cab plates. :imsohappy:

I’ll be removing the smokebox numberplate and cabside plates and replacing them with proper etched ones from Fox. Or possibly ModelMaster Jackson instead.

Edited by Hilux5972

Yes I agree the factory plates are a tad small and thick, but speaking just for myself I don't have much of a problem with them, I'll consider making one of the many things I do in making pictures from now on.  Stay bars, wheel flange to hub profiles, lubricator pipe bulge on boiler-smokebox, and the many other mostly small things noted many pages ago by Stationmaster and others. Some notice the number plate and shed plate sizes being a bit 'out' on the BR models. 

I STILL think it is a fine model, and it is a pity it isn't better, such as the Brassmasters kit version by Finney which has all the subtle details somewhat better.

Here is a pic of the model un-edited but for the obvious background and foreground and smoke etc, and a bit of selective brightness, contrast, and coal added, and driving axle centres darkened. Nothing else, even the engine-tender gap is factory.

I cannot help but think that the running plate has a slight upwards curve from the motion bracket forwards, also apparent on my black BR version, both having received considerable impact damage somewhere in their benighted lives as described earlier.  Maybe this can be addressed by removing the body and fine-tuning things, but at the moment my state-of-mind is affected by current inability to replace smokebox darts on a Hornby Black 5, so don't expect much from me which requires a steady hand and sharp eyes! :)

Anyway it's a glorious bit of GWR atmosphere, to my not-very-perfect non-Swindon eyes anyway.

post-7929-0-70504900-1524374947_thumb.jpg

pic edited (in background/foreground/brightness and as described only)

cheers

edit; p.s. the slightly oily finish as received from Heljan I think comes up rather well, I haven't touched the colour in any way.

edit 2; I think excellent, no, very excellent value to we outside the EU/UK at UKP126 + shipping, Ready to run, and by all accounts with outstanding mechanicals, pony truck excepted perhaps.  That is Rails price, not RRP.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I’ll be removing the smokebox numberplate and cabside plates and replacing them with proper etched ones from Fox. Or possibly ModelMaster Jackson instead.

There is a fair bit of plastic to trim off before the plates sit flush but it's certainly worthwhile to replace them,

I put masking tape around the old ones to avoid any damage to the cab sides if the scalpel blade wanders.

post-8647-0-75039500-1524380257_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

As far as I can make out from the pictures which have been posted, the axles of the pony wheels clip into the truck from the top. That doesn’t seem to me a very sensible idea because the weight of the truck would tend to push the axle out. If the pony truck is very light, that is another poor idea. If the holes through which the axle is clipped were underneath the truck, then the weight of the truck would serve to keep the wheels in place and any weight would also help to keep the wheels on the track.

The more often the wheelset has to be replaced, the more wear there will be in the slot, leading to the wheels falling out more often. Perhaps it might help to glue something over the top of the slots to prevent the axle working its way out.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can make out from the pictures which have been posted, the axles of the pony wheels clip into the truck from the top. That doesn’t seem to me a very sensible idea because the weight of the truck would tend to push the axle out. If the pony truck is very light, that is another poor idea. If the holes through which the axle is clipped were underneath the truck, then the weight of the truck would serve to keep the wheels in place and any weight would also help to keep the wheels on the track.

The more often the wheelset has to be replaced, the more wear there will be in the slot, leading to the wheels falling out more often. Perhaps it might help to glue something over the top of the slots to prevent the axle working its way out.

Mine has a piece of 12mm long, 2mm I.D. brass tubing inserted into the pony truck you wil need to drill out 3mm for it fit & secured with super glue the size of the

tubing allows for some sideways movement of the new pair of Romford 3' 2" wheels which were fitted and the largest blod of lead I could hide behind the wheels

glued on above the axle then the whole lot was sprayed matt black, it's an old trick I used when building white cast kits to stop the wear.

see post 865 and click on the photo

• Like 2

Well have just spoken with Rails (they rang Friday but I was out of the office) and it seems that bits have also fallen off the green version. Its a good thing I asked them to check. They are trying to see if it can be "repaired".

They are now out of stock of both versions but have suggested that they send me one of the later issues, which I am happy to accept as and when they turn up.

The chap at Rails seemed very well aware of the problems with this model.

Ho hum

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The chap at Rails seemed very well aware of the problems with this model.

Ho hum

It seems the retailers are aware of the problems with this model but not Heljan .

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

It seems the retailers are aware of the problems with this model but not Heljan .

Rob they do have Ben Jones on their books he might be an ear to bash.  :punish:  :laugh:

Rob they do have Ben Jones on their books he might be an ear to bash.  :punish:  :laugh:

Ben's also aware of the state of play; it seems as though the front plate issues come from a decision taken at the factory to make it a separate part rather than anything designed/agreed by Heljan.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ben's also aware of the state of play; it seems as though the front plate issues come from a decision taken at the factory to make it a separate part rather than anything designed/agreed by Heljan.

Is that a first? I’ve never known of any other models that have the front plate as a seperate part to the rest of the footplate.

Edited by Hilux5972

Has anyone remove the molded coal in the tender? I presume it is removable as a spare is provided. I have tried with a little pressure, not wishing to damage the tender sides, but failed. There is a gap around the molded coal but is it glued in?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by mjcbasingstoke

• RMweb Gold

Tks.  I was looking forwards to the 61xx and Mogul but won't be parting with any money until other people have them in their hands and we know what kind of QC they're being subjected to (or not as the case may be)

• RMweb Premium

My 4706 has arrived at last. One side of the pony truck axle needed clipping back in, the 2 support struts on the front needed put back on, and one whistle needed replacing. Apart from that she’s in good condition. Look forward to getting her run in.

• Like 3