Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

After all the dramas of this thread, I did end up with a rather nice TMC weathered 4707....

will remove if it offends.

4707_47XX_portrait36_2abc_r1800.jpg.8e52b722bb699bbb3ddbb042c14c324e.jpg

Looking at it in the cold grey light of, shall we say, elapsed time, the faults are there, but my, what an impressive model!

Cheers

edit; p.s. this is just a colour-corrected version of one previously shown.

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, robmcg said:

After all the dramas of this thread, I did end up with a rather nice TMC weathered 4707....

will remove if it offends.

4707_47XX_portrait36_2abc_r1800.jpg.8e52b722bb699bbb3ddbb042c14c324e.jpg

Looking at it in the cold grey light of, shall we say, elapsed time, the faults are there, but my, what an impressive model!

Cheers

edit; p.s. this is just a colour-corrected version of one previously shown.

Can't tell what's weathering and what's been "photoshopped"...

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Can't tell what's weathering and what's been "photoshopped"...

FWIW the stains on the boiler are by TMC, the engine itself has not been "photoshopped" , the smoke is obviously painted with a computer, the colours of the entire picture are "photoshopped" by the same methods used in all digital photos, brightness, colour, saturation, some areas being altered in that respect, which is the same as all cameras these days when you set 'auto'. and even less than when TW or Gilbert of PN "photoshop" skies and backgrounds.

Cheers,

After all the dramas with damaged 4700 locos from Heljan, (and, to be fair, many excellent ones), and having re-read much of this long thread, I see that very early on some people thought they might wait until the price dropped (as happened with the O2 and Hattons) . 

I can find no record of such a price-drop from any retailers for the 47XX models.  Given that there are a few left for sale in green in particular, I am wondering about the rarity of BR black versions and/or another production as per the Heljan Garratts.

Did any 47XXs ever get 'remaindered'?

Edited by robmcg

More than the average layout can accommodate, they are heavy.

They need quite large radius curves, being long wheelbase, and the front pony truck can derail on rough track and pointwork. The motors are strong.

Early in this thread there was mention of long trains on grades without problems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, robmcg said:

More than the average layout can accommodate, they are heavy.

They need quite large radius curves, being long wheelbase, and the front pony truck can derail on rough track and pointwork. The motors are strong.

Early in this thread there was mention of long trains on grades without problems.

Thanks Rob.

I'm hoping at some point in the next couple of years Heljan will produce some more of these. I have one (which was all I could afford at the time), but I'd really like a second BR one. With the exception of a couple of the GW ones they have all sold out pretty quickly so hopefully it is a case of when rather than if. Maybe they'll also find a way of getting the front end to stay together in transit, and maybe fix a few of the other issues raised (number plates spring to mind).

46 minutes ago, MatthewCarty said:

I'm hoping at some point in the next couple of years Heljan will produce some more of these...

Since Heljan have announced (joy unbounded) the GNR cab and tender variants of the O2 - the LNER cab and tender versions of which were remaindered - the chances of another batch of 47xx emerging in time must be good.

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 00:54, Methuselah said:

I bought one of these locos, but I've no where to run it yet. In practice - how much will they pull....and how does that compare with what the real ones pulled in terms of number or wagons....?

The O2 which is in the significant material respects the same mechanism will drag around past 100 wagons (mostly RTR, some kitbuilt including whitemetal) and that's as long a goods as the GWR operated (slow mineral behind a 28xx.) I would expect the fast fitted freight turns were around the fifty wagon mark.  All close coupled, that's a train exceeding four metres in length...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Since Heljan have announced (joy unbounded) the GNR cab and tender variants of the O2 - the LNER cab and tender versions of which were remaindered - the chances of another batch of 47xx emerging in time must be good.

The O2 which is in the significant material respects the same mechanism will drag around past 100 wagons (mostly RTR, some kitbuilt including whitemetal) and that's as long a goods as the GWR operated (slow mineral behind a 28xx.) I would expect the fast fitted freight turns were around the fifty wagon mark.  All close coupled, that's a train exceeding four metres in length...

You've pre-empted another of my questions there, which is 'was there a set maximum number of wagons'. I seem to remember reading somewhere it was a blanket 80 wagons on the GWR, but then I also heard stories verbally that 2800 often pulled 100 wagons  - and the 4700 was more powerful. Presumably there would have been references to this in the printed rules  - what would be the publication to look at I wonder....? Did it vary depending on what line it was - as some lines only had shorter goods-loops etc....

If Hilux5972 doesn't object, and I am sure he is man of honour, here is a TMC-weathered 47XX with some editing but certainly not disguising what great models these are, with many, no, some, photos from wartime-on displaying considerable un-Swindon-like wear-and-tear.

4707_47XX_portrait12_black_3abcd_r1800.jpg.0a08acd5879e24b0aab2cdb2cd47e56f.jpg

Either that or it's a 1949-photo from the days when colour photography was getting underway.... :)

Edited by robmcg
grammar
  • Like 8

An interesting comparison of the Heljan 4706 BR black in near-factory condition and my grafting it onto a b+w public domain (I hope) image of a BR 47XX 4703.. note; this was a a progress pic not a 'finished' version.

4703_47XX_portrait30_12abcd_r1800.jpg.9c84b2aa873a7d4558d536172438ac95.jpg

Followed by an edited version. Many and various errors on my part   but it does show how close the model is.

4703_47XX_portrait30_6abc_r1800.jpg.d6d0675fed07c46123fff7a814640980.jpg

I know it is not to everyone's taste , not being a strictly accurate photo of a model, but I hope Hilux5972 will forgive me.

Great engines these, in my opinion.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 22/03/2019 at 22:28, Garethp8873 said:

I need a replacement tender buffer for my GWR Shirtbutton 47xx. Looking at the pamphlet, I can see several listings for buffers but I cannot tell which one I would need to order.

Can anyone help please?

For the tender..

I used a Bachmann buffer on the tender on mine. No one would notice from viewing distance. 36-032 Round head (not 36-035 which is LNER/SR style). To keep appearance I replaced both buffers.

Hornby 2800/3800 tender buffers are very nice, but the Bachmann one is probably closer...  catalog X6209.

All found on ebay.

Edited by adb968008

Bit late to party (as always)

Finally treated myself to two 47xx's.

4705 was an eBay purchase which as advertised had a snapped buffer but otherwise ok.

4707 was also eBay but "brand new".

Disappointed in Heljans packaging to say the least.

Both models have been severely damaged in the mail.

Both of them have both loco side steps busted off.

4707 there is a piece of the steps missing so gotta fabricate up a piece of plasticard to fill in the gap.

Also they have one tender step bent over at a 45° angle (same side).

Both have snapped drawbars under the tender.

4705 has the busted off front frame and the pony truck wheels were halfway down the side of the boiler.

Heljan build quality also suspect as both safety bonnets detached and the topfeed pipes had gone walkabout .

Disgraceful packaging/build quality for the original money asked by Heljan. IMO

Edited by lofty1966
spellcheck
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lofty1966 said:

Bit late to party (as always)

Finally treated myself to two 47xx's.

4705 was an eBay purchase which as advertised had a snapped buffer but otherwise ok.

4707 was also eBay but "brand new".

Disappointed in Heljans packaging to say the least.

Both models have been severely damaged in the mail.

Both of them have both loco side steps busted off.

4707 there is a piece of the steps missing so gotta fabricate up a piece of plasticard to fill in the gap.

Also they have one tender step bent over at a 45° angle (same side).

Both have snapped drawbars under the tender.

4705 has the busted off front frame and the pony truck wheels were halfway down the side of the boiler.

Heljan build quality also suspect as bother safety bonnets detached and the topfeed pipes had gone walkabout .

Disgraceful packaging/build quality for the original money asked by Heljan. IMO

Sounds very familiar.

msg-1-0-01787900-1531224736.jpg.27ae8d964205558048c1bda578b98b7c.jpg

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

No stock of drawbar at Gaugemaster (Heljans new spare parts supplier) so special order.

Surely not beyond the wit of man to produce a replacement - perhaps even from wire?

Regards,

John Isherwood,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2020 at 19:01, tomparryharry said:

I'd still like to have a 47xx myself. But! They didn't make it past the Severn Tunnel. Drat & Blast!

Rule 1 applies.... which is why I can run a King and 47xx into Henley on Thames!

• Like 2

On 04/03/2020 at 18:17, lofty1966 said:

Yes I could.

I chose to go for original.

Well at 2 quid a pop a £2.50 handling charge and a quote of £7.61 postage charge, Heljan and Gaugemaster can cluck right orf.

I'm making my own !

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

Well at 2 quid a pop a £2.50 handling charge and a quote of £7.61 postage charge, Heljan and Gaugemaster can cluck right orf.

I'm making my own !

"special order" rang the bells for me - I'm not surprised at the quoted price.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2020 at 22:03, Methuselah said:

You've pre-empted another of my questions there, which is 'was there a set maximum number of wagons'. I seem to remember reading somewhere it was a blanket 80 wagons on the GWR, but then I also heard stories verbally that 2800 often pulled 100 wagons  - and the 4700 was more powerful. Presumably there would have been references to this in the printed rules  - what would be the publication to look at I wonder....? Did it vary depending on what line it was - as some lines only had shorter goods-loops etc....

Most main line railways in the UK most of the time ran to a length limit of 60 wagon lengths (the measurement being expressed in ‘Basic Wagon Units’, BWU, the length of a standard length wagon on a 9’ or 10’ wheelbase).  Loops and layby sidings were laid out and signalling clearances set on that basis.  Space was allowed for assisting or banking locos and the brake van. 

There were of course exceptions; the GW, LNW, Midland, and GN all ran regular 90 or 100 wagon coal trains into yards in London.  These had to be signalled under special block regulations so that they could occupy 2 blocks at a time. 

On the South Wales Main Line, 90 wagon trains were permitted on the relief lines between Severn Tunnel Jc and Pengam,and in the Tidal Brnch in Cardiff; again, special block regulations were used and the trains had to have a guaranteed clear road through Newport High Street station.  There may well have been other

places where such running was permitted. 

For BR, the relevant instructions will be in the appropriate Section Appendices.  A daily 100 wagon coal train ran for many years from Stoke Gifford (Bristol Parkway nowadays) to Acton behind a 28xx, and this could load to over 1,000 tons.  The Great Bear is said to have managed a 2,000 ton train on this route, which shows that whatever else it’s problems were, it could certainly pull!

AFAIK 47xx were never tried on these trains, as the 28xx could cope and the 47xx’s forte was heavy fitted express work; they could probably not be spared for mineral traffic.  Not sure any were allox Bath Road, either; Old Oak, Laira, and Oxley were their usual depots.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1