Heljan GWR 47xx Night Owl

Hilux5972

BR lined green with late crest. The only one lined in GWR days was 4700 which was given fully lined livery with all the trimmings for the S&D centenary in 1925.

4702 had the unique distinction of wearing lined BR black in the early 50s (all the others were unlined). This loco/livery was fairly well photographed so it seems odd that Heljan are missing out on this livery option.  :scratchhead:

I am struggling to find a picture of 4702 in lined black, couldn't point us in the right direction of a picture could you?

I am struggling to find a picture of 4702 in lined black, couldn't point us in the right direction of a picture could you?

Steam Days - July 2013 has an article - GWR 47XXs 1948-1963

There are two photos of 4702, the first mentions the lined black livery and says it shows up in the first photo (his eyes must be better than mine because I cannot see it).  I can only see it on the tender.

As an aside, 4700 is shown having the snifting valve (?) on the cylinder chest in 1951, but by 1957 its gone.  Did it have a major rebuild?

Tom

Not especially high-res but you can make out the cab-side lining in these photos as well as the tender.

post-887-0-95357800-1439330525.jpg

post-887-0-21516300-1439330541.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still no news on these? Do Heljan even read these forums? Some kind of update would be nice.

To take your points in order:

No (though some sort of progress report is expected at Warley)

Probably not.

Yes, it would, but many of us have got used to the way Heljan work and it might be too much of a shock to my system. :jester:  

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To take your points in order:

No (though some sort of progress report is expected at Warley)

Probably not.

Yes, it would, but many of us have got used to the way Heljan work and it might be too much of a shock to my system. :jester:

John

Haha thanks for the clarification John.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not bad considering that mediocre kit built  47XXs with iffy running go for £250 on Evilbay.  Excellent ones with pedigree go for £300+

.................so for under £200 you get a very accurate model which runs well.  

This is a niche class of engine and not for the "trainset" - so a fair price in my book.  And under the £220 estimated on here a while back.

If you want a £50 roundy roundy engine, get somethng from Hornby Railroad range.

But someone will moan.............

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

.................so for under £200 you get a very accurate model which runs well.

Given the problems that plagued the Claytons and the Garratts id rephrase that to "a very accurate model that hopefully runs well!"

• RMweb Premium

That low, I'd 'ave thought more like double that. A good guide to professional kit building is 3 x kit, + parts to finish, price - minimum.

47XX prices have come down since the announcement that Heljan were going to produce one......

• RMweb Gold

I'm only surprised that a lively little industry hasn't developed to provide alternative motors for the substandard RTR ones....

Good point. But that opens up the proverbial can of worms. On the BG thread some believe the reason for endemic failure was "something other" than the motors.Whatever the reason,some regret the investment they made.Now that stocks have sold,they have accrued in value on e bay.

The estimated release date of this model is scheduled for the first quarter of 2017. The models proposed are as follows:-

#4780  4704 GWR Green with GWR monogram

#4781  4705 GWR Green with GREAT WESTERN

#4782  4707 GWR Green with GW

#4783  4706 BR Black early crest

#4784  4705 BR lined green

#4785  4709 BR lined green (as per new build)

This is a niche class of engine and not for the "trainset" - so a fair price in my book.  .

I've done more than my fair share of whinging of ever rising prices of RTR locos but I completely agree with you. It's a pretty esoteric loco, and, well... the only game in town if you want a RTR 47xx any time soon. Moreover, there was only ever 9 of the beasts, so who in all reality will want more than one? I can't wait for mine...

The estimated release date of this model is scheduled for the first quarter of 2017. The models proposed are as follows:-

#4780  4704 GWR Green with GWR monogram

#4781  4705 GWR Green with GREAT WESTERN

#4782  4707 GWR Green with GW

#4783  4706 BR Black early crest

#4784  4705 BR lined green

#4785  4709 BR lined green (as per new build)

Thanks for the information. I just wanted to ask if you knew whether the livery highlighted above will be G-crest-W or GWR? I am 95% certain that these locos were only ever coiffed with GWR on the tender as were all other GWR freight locos of the period, so I do hope Heljan call this one right! Of course, there may have been the odd case of tender swapping with King, Castle, Star or Hall with a G-Crest-W tender, but I've never seen any photographic evidence to prove this. 

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

I'm only surprised that a lively little industry hasn't developed to provide alternative motors for the substandard RTR ones....

There have been a number of postings to the BG thread, including a fairly recent on from me, indicating sources for replacement motors.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk