Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

As this is now out of the bag at Warley, it may as well be announced here formally.

I'm out at the moment but if Chris or Andy don't update this page with the press release before I'm home I'll do it later.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Wonderful news!

As soon as the real thing was up & running, it could never have been long before a decent model was going to come out.

Thanks Dave,

John E.

Hi mate,

Your welcome, but please remember, it's a Kernow product, so lots of plaudits to them :-)

• RMweb Gold

Dave, glad to hear you will be in on this. 

I'd like to echo Rob's call for livery details. The Kernow site is not quite clear on the period of the liveries, and if we're going to pre-order it would be good to have some exact info.

I'm taking the liberty of quoting Nick's post from the main Warley thread below, which indicates the possible livery variations. As you can see, there's much scope for mistakes and confusion when we order - as there are two crimson (lake) versions announced, and two chocolate ones, but no dates!

Now, if you tell me that no. 61 will actually be done in the pre-1908 chocolate and cream (as possibly indicated by the pic in the announcement), I will be mightily impressed and might just turn up at Kernow to kiss their feet.

That's putting me on the spot, Robin, as I'm far from an expert on the liveries. However, broadly speaking, the liveries are much the same as those of the trailers and this is covered in great detail in John Lewis' autotrailers volumes. The following is a brief summary and omits much detail. The dates refer to new builds and subsequent repaints, earlier liveries could be expected to persist for a few years after these.

1. Up to 1908 - fully lined chocolate & cream as per current main line stock. The last photo of 61 in the announcement at the start of the topic shows one form of this with the 1906 'prize' monogram, but others had the more familiar curly monogram or the garter coat of arms and supporters.

2. from some time in 1908 - all-over brown livery with garter and supporters.

3 1912 - lined lake livery with garter and supporters and GWR on waist panel

3a. some may have received a khaki repaint during war time, uncertain but some trailers apparently had this.

4 1922 - return to fully lined chocolate and cream with garter and supporters, but mouldings (those that remained) were brown rather than black.

4a. 1924 - narrow cream panel appears at outside corner of driving windows.

5. 1927 - simplified form of chocolate and cream as on other coaching stock, garter and supporters replaced in late 1927 by Bristol/London arms (see photo of 97 in announcement at start of topic) many minor variations over subsequent years

Given that the last ones were withdrawn in 1935, it's possible, though unlikely that any received the shirtbutton.

Nick

Edited by Mikkel

Dave, glad to hear you will be in on this. 

I'd like to echo Rob's call for livery details. The Kernow site is not quite clear on the period of the liveries, and if we're going to pre-order it would be good to have some exact info.

I'm taking the liberty of quoting Nick's post from the main Warley thread below, which indicates the possible livery variations. As you can see, there's much scope for mistakes and confusion when we order - as there are two crimson (lake) versions announced, and two chocolate ones, but no dates!

Now, if you tell me that no. 61 will actually be done in the pre-1908 chocolate and cream (as possibly indicated by the pic in the announcement), I will be mightily impressed and might just turn up at Kernow to kiss their feet.

Hi Mikkel,

Sorry but I truly don't know as I havn't been given a decoration matrix yet.

I'll ask Chris on Tuesday ( to give him a chance to get home and unpack) and report back hee accordingly if that's ok?

Cheers

Dave

I thought someone might produce a model of the Railmotor, and in the situation existing before the last few weeks, I think I expected that Kernow would be the most likely to commission it. I'm really pleased to see that it's going to happen - even if I'll wait awhile before ordering.

One that I have been hoping for for years, since I found out about the restoration of 93.

Even has an Australian connection, due to the seats now in 93 having come out of an Adelaide H Class tram

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Kernow announcement is linked below.  Obviously for them to confirm but linking the numbers shown with the liveries they are wearing in the pictures I suggest the following is likely -

K2301 No. 93 - as preserved lake livery

K2302 No. 97 - one of the later (simplified) 'chocolate & cream' liveries

K2303 No. 63 - presumably brown livery

K2304 No.85 - original lake livery (the preservation livery lining is, I understand, slightly different)

K2305 No.61 - the illustration is clearly in the original lined chocolate & cream livery as shown by the scrolled insignia.

Obviously, I repeat, subject to confirmation by Kernow, here;s their announcement on their website -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/79/gwr_steam_railmotor

• Like 1

One that I have been hoping for for years, since I found out about the restoration of 93.

Even has an Australian connection, due to the seats now in 93 having come out of an Adelaide H Class tram

69843's mention of the old H class trams brings back some great memories. I've traveled on donor car No.375 (and the rest of the class) to school in the city and remember those old flip over Peters seats well. They were a lot more comfortable on your rear end than the seating in the modern 100 & 200 class trams now in use on the Bay line. Even though the 1920's era trams had no air conditioning for Adelaide's 40 deg+ summer temperatures I tended to stay cooler in them than their modern replacements. I still remember trying to get home with a 12 foot rowing oar (don't ask!) and the conductor helped me to get it on board stashed along under the seats. Try doing that with the new trams! Back in the 80's I regularly got free rides home from work - all I had to do was make sure my SA Police tie was visible to the conductor.

Dave  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The Kernow announcement is linked below.  Obviously for them to confirm but linking the numbers shown with the liveries they are wearing in the pictures I suggest the following is likely -

K2301 No. 93 - as preserved lake livery

K2302 No. 97 - one of the later (simplified) 'chocolate & cream' liveries

K2303 No. 63 - presumably brown livery

K2304 No.85 - original lake livery (the preservation livery lining is, I understand, slightly different)

K2305 No.61 - the illustration is clearly in the original lined chocolate & cream livery as shown by the scrolled insignia.

Obviously, I repeat, subject to confirmation by Kernow, here;s their announcement on their website -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/page/79/gwr_steam_railmotor

Thanks Mike, I must admit I had not taken the pictures in the announcement too seriously - but in this case it seems they might actually be a real indication of the intended liveries. If the brown version is the 1908-1912 livery, I wonder if it might be the first ever RTR item to carry that particular variant of the GWR carriage livery...

• Like 1

Very pleased by this announcement. It is a relatively expensive item (it probably won't be relatively dearer than anything else by this time next year!) but I can certainly find a use for at least two. Could I request even at this early stage that Dave and Kernow make a good range of spares available  - I think it  is likely to see a lot of use....

Edited by 90rob