Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

Damn, I missed the anniversary date.!!!! There was a time when Warley heralded a juicy update but there is silence on the steam railmotor this year unless someone is teasing us all.... I wasn’t at Warley to ask but did anyone get an update please?

They say:

Project Update - November 2019 - Fifth CADS received
The fifth CADs have been received.  Yes, we forgot to post that the fourth CADs had arrived back in September.  We are down to quite a small number of minor issues now, but with Warley this weekend we won't get chance to look these over until next week.  Stay tuned for a further update...

The model is currently at the design stage and we do not have an expected delivery date at present.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor

My grown-up-and-left-home children have been nagging me for a Christmas Wish List. Is it too cheeky adding one of these?

2 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

They say:

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor

My grown-up-and-left-home children have been nagging me for a Christmas Wish List. Is it too cheeky adding one of these?

Which year are they thinking of? This year, not a chance. 2020 - I hope but unlikely, 2021 - definite possibility. 2022 and beyond, kill me now. 

phew, I near had a 94xx apoplectic fit there about deliveries but realised it was all my only making. We don’t actually know. Back to my large rock to hide under.....

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2019 at 23:17, Garethp8873 said:

When it comes, it comes. In the meantime, visiting Didcot now and again seeing 93 before she bows out for eventual overhaul in 2021 is good enough for me :)

Gosh 10 years already ?

Has its extra carriage seen much use at all ?

i have a great memory of seeing the railmotor passing through Langley on the GWML down fast at 1.30am, On its way back to Didcot !

Shame it won’t be seen on the Mainline again, it was fun whilst it lasted.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

On 13/12/2019 at 13:37, adb968008 said:

Gosh 10 years already ?

i have a great memory of seeing the railmotor passing through Langley on the GWML down fast at 1.30am, On its way back to Didcot !

The last engine I recall using GWR 92 was ex-Port Talbot 813 when she was there during April 2017 but I've seen photos of Captain Baxter using 92 when she was there last year. Besides 813 and Baxter, I have seen photos of GWR 1450 and Met 1 using the autocoach too.

GWR 93's overhaul will be something I watch with great interest too...

33936893041_c908c00589_b.jpg

33936891591_f1962d493f_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Gosh 10 years already ?

I've a vague recollection 93's boiler was built and certified earlier than it would normally have been (i.e. before the coach was ready to receive it) owing to a gap in Israel Newton's order book, so although the ten year boiler certificate is nearly up, the length of time since the Railmotor was completed may be somewhat less than this.

• RMweb Gold

Gosh 10 years already ?

Heres the video of that night...

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kernow have shown updated CAD's on Facebook which they describe as complete for the version shown and a little work required to finish the second version. 

More on their project page: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor, scroll to bottom for latest news

Couple more images on their Facebook page https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3596854813689373&id=207521425956079

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 19/12/2019 at 00:07, adb968008 said:

Heres the video of that night...

Hi ADB968008,

Thanks for posting that - it brings back fantastic memories. I was one of the very privileged few that rode inside No. 93 on that trip. The best bit was Sonning Cutting where three of us stood in the rear cab on a moonlight night with the GWR main line paying out behind us and the steam rolling off into the blue - black night sky. One of my two friends who was in the cab then is no longer with us. He was such a great guy - he is deeply missed by many of us at 81E. He wasn't well then, but he managed to get to see this with us.

It makes me think of the three of us stood there looking though those big windows, in silent awe of just what madness we were involved in at that moment, all of us grinning like idiots...

Good times.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 08/02/2020 at 20:41, VIDEOMIKE123 said:

I know it's early days but does anyone think it could be modified to EM gauge?

MIKE

Yes of course it can, whether it is easy or hard or what is actually involved nobody knows because they havent been built or delivered yet!

The only people who might be able to advise you are Kernow.

Edited by royaloak

Lucky enough to ride in 93 from Llangollen to Corwen a few years ago, and again at Didcot last year. 

it’d be nice to see her again before she goes in for overhaul - although as boiler and mechanics et al are more or less new steam loco-wise I imagine she will be back in steam sooner rather than later.

id love to see her at the SVR. Seeing her pulling away from Highley would make one hell of a video :)

model wise, I suspect I shall pick up the model of 93 sooner or later. I have an increasing collection of ‘odd’ locos which can only be put together on a fictional preserved railway :). 93 would fit right in!

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Philou said:

Lucky that the railmotor was on hand to give the diesel a bit of a push .................. :)

Cheers,

Although it was only a few years ago, everything about that video is history.. SRM is gone, the 180 has gone, and overhead wires cover the site.

Edited by adb968008

• 4 months later...