Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

4 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Officially I don’t start until October... 

... can a honeymoon period end before it starts?

4 hours ago, richard i said:

It looks like it can when mixed with rmweb froth. 

Or if the bride is pregnant ! :o

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Congratulations anyway Muz - always nice to turn a hobby into full time employment.  So I not only heartily congratulate you but also hope the job turns out to be as much fun as the hobby.

PS  I'll have a fiver on where you'll be starting. (I have sort of.shared that with someone else - without going into detail - so in due time he'll be able to say if I was right ;) ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Congratulations anyway Muz - always nice to turn a hobby into full time employment.  So I not only heartily congratulate you but also hope the job turns out to be as much fun as the hobby.

PS  I'll have a fiver on where you'll be starting. (I have sort of.shared that with someone else - without going into detail - so in due time he'll be able to say if I was right ;) ).

My money is that he starts remotely from home.

now who is holding on to all the stakes for the betting syndicate?

richard

• Like 1

The gestation period of Kernow Model Centre specials may be extended, however I am more than happy to wait if the quality of the steam rail motor matches that of the D6xx series (diesel locomotive model of the last 10 years).  As I was told as a small boy, patience is a virtue.

• Like 3

On 19/08/2020 at 20:00, Graham_Muz said:

Congratulations Graham.  

i'm sure that there will be so very many of us who will enjoy the well informed contributions/improvements you are well capable of introducing, for so many to enjoy.

Julian

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We are delighted to have received what, after a number of recent further versions and updates, we believe are the final CADs for our GWR Steam Railmotor project. The tooling will allow for both the Diagram ‘O’ type and the Diagram ‘R’ type Steam Railmotors to be produced The  most obvious differences between the diagram O and the diagram ‘R’ are the larger boiler room windows, double leaf passenger doors and ‘Fishbelly’ rather than ‘Equalising’ bogies. These CADs are undergoing final checking before tooling can commence. 

Diagram O

528284357_DiaOside_1.jpg.f660b0e161b248469800835b9bf19f32.jpg

1812203480_DiaOside_2.jpg.204b73266b8f285b64c5b7e1f6c12c6a.jpg

1724463307_DiaOside_3.jpg.6abf185e4399be5cac48d3111785e568.jpg

1442747498_DiaOside_4.jpg.d59f2b125210ccf7f63face520f4a84b.jpg

Diagram R 

485836769_DiaRside_1.jpg.850b2f04fdd23bdc8c9d6bf7337ed196.jpg

1474438373_DiaRside_2.jpg.186b67e90d70d3d68f079216c684ca5f.jpg

774602494_DiaRside_3.jpg.edf5607bea17754534f9212c7791fae4.jpg

690903286_DiaRside_4.jpg.3254dc4cf6ed3064f2a2e77c0343822c.jpg

Full details can be found on our dedicated page here

We will update again when fully approved for tooling to commence that will hopefully be soon.

Edited by Kernow MRC
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Although the Kernow is accurate to the preserved 93, the preserved 93 isn't authentic GWR in some aspects. For diagrams O and R, the following relationships apply to the front end panelling: 

kernow-srm-panel-corrections.png.d73e916d7af538b5741b6a9d456f09c9.png

Apologies for making these comments at a very late stage - I should have done them yonks ago.

Edited by Miss Prism
image reinstated
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm not convinced about the scroll iron shape at the top or the bottom or its pitch.

srm-scroll-iron-centres.png.046d4f07b6018dd2384322f661e4cdde.png

That looks more like 93 than the CADs

GWR_Steam_Railmotor_93_(7882261160).jpg

image.png.9e7beac2058787e45c6f8af0919ad458.png

Andrew Bone from Weymouth, England - GWR Steam Railmotor 93

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

The headlamps are awful.

Valvegear could be better as well IMHO

The lifting link from the reversing arm (green) should be straight, on the cad it has a bend and connects to the front, whereas in reality it seems behind the radius bar

The bracket for the expansion link looks oversize as does the radius bar to the slide valve

In reality I suppose there will be some compromise but some thinks could be better

Edited by melmerby

2 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Valvegear could be better as well IMHO

The lifting link from the reversing arm (green) should be straight, on the cad it has a bend and connects to the front, whereas in reality it seems behind the radius bar

The bracket for the expansion link looks oversize as does the radius bar to the slide valve

Would the bend not be to allow slightly more clearance while running? And all the overscale parts just to keep everything strong? 

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

An update from KMRC....

Dia O side_1.jpg

GWR Steam Railmotor project CADs approved and tooling commenced

Dia R side_1.jpg

The Kernow Model Rail Centre are pleased to announce that the much-anticipated GWR Steam Railmotor in 00 gauge has moved to the tooling stage following the approval of the Computer Aided Design drawings (CADs).

The preserved Railmotor No. 93 was laser scanned at the Didcot Railway Centre, and the detailed CADs produced using further reference to original GWR archive drawings and the kind assistance of Graham Drew, Great Western Society Railmotor Project Manager. A lot of time and effort has been taken to get the detailed CADs to the final approval stage to allow tooling to commence.

The GWR Steam Railmotor model will be complete with working directional oil lamps and working interior lights. The models will be DCC ready with a 21-pin decoder socket.

The Kernow Model Rail Centre are also pleased to advise that the prices have been maintained at the original project launch price of £159.99 upon release, or £149.99 for pre-orders.

Graham Muspratt, Development Manager said: “It is extremely satisfying to reach the next stage in this project, and we thank the Great Western Society for all their continued support and valued input as the project progresses.” The tooling will allow for both the Diagram ‘O’ type and the Diagram ‘R’ type Steam Railmotors to be produced in five versions, as listed below. The diagram O type most obvious differences from the diagram ‘R’ are the larger boiler room windows, double leaf passenger doors and ‘Fishbelly’ rather than ‘Equalising’ bogies.

K2301 GWR Steam Railmotor Diagram ‘R’ number 93 in GWR lined crimson lake (as preserved)
K2302 GWR Steam Railmotor Diagram ‘R’ number 97 in simplified GWR chocolate and cream (Late 1920s onwards)
K2303 GWR Steam Railmotor Diagram ‘O’ number 63 in GWR lined brown (1908 – 1912)
K2304 GWR Steam Railmotor Diagram ‘R’ number 85 in GWR lined crimson lake (1912 – 1922)
K2305 GWR Steam Railmotor Diagram ‘O’ number 61 in GWR fully lined chocolate and cream (1903 – 1908)

Further details of this project can be found at the dedicated webpage for the GWR Steam Railmotors at: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor

Dia O side_2.jpg

Dia O side_3.jpg

Dia O side_4.jpg

Dia R side_2.jpg

Dia R side_3.jpg

Dia R side_4.jpg

Further information about the Great Western Railway Society can be found here: https://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

An update from KMRC....

The Kernow Model Rail Centre are also pleased to advise that the prices have been maintained at the original project launch price of £159.99 upon release, or £14.99 for pre-orders.

Ummm.......

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

An update from KMRC....

GWR Steam Railmotor project CADs approved and tooling commenced

Just now, Oldddudders said:

Ummm.......

The Kernow Model Rail Centre are also pleased to advise that the prices have been maintained at the original project launch price of £159.99 upon release, or £14.99 for pre-orders.

Further details of this project can be found at the dedicated webpage for the GWR Steam Railmotors at: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor

Further information about the Great Western Railway Society can be found here: https://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/

Ack, beat me  to it! Get your pre-orders in!

Seriously, I’m delighted by the news of tooling starting.

Just checked my Kernow account and saw my order pending from November 2014.
I also have a confirmation email from the same date. I have no further correspondence.
Is this the same for others who have one on order?
Will Kernow be contacting customers to re-confirm their order?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Just checked my Kernow account and saw my order pending from November 2014.
I also have a confirmation email from the same date. I have no further correspondence.
Is this the same for others who have one on order?
Will Kernow be contacting customers to re-confirm their order?

I didn't order until August 2015, but yes, it's the same for me - I got an email at the time and the order is still open on my Kernow account, but no other correspondence.   To be honest though, I wouldn't have expected any other communication, and I've been happy to follow progress via RMWeb.   If Kernow had anything they needed to say directly to the pre-order customers, I'm sure they would have done so!

As to whether Kernow plan to ask customers to re-confirm, I've no idea, but I guess any credit card details they took at the time of order will be well out of date by now (though in my case, they have the up-to-date details, and they have made frequent use of them!).  

• Thanks 1

We also advise that the valve gear protecting scrolls that were mentioned above have been altered in shape slightly since the screenshots were produced, however as they are fixed to the solebars there is an inevitable compromise with how close we can get them to the bogie and valve gear to allow clearance for the bogie to turn to run on 00 trackwork.

As is usual, all orders that are on our system are still live, we would only contact directly at time of despatch should payment details require updating.

Any project updates are provided via our website on both the new 'Latest News' page and the dedicated Railmotor project page on our website, the media, on here and via our weekly newsletter.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

Anorak moment!  The 'protecting scrolls' are not there to protect the valve gear (though they do offer some protection).

They are the suspension scroll irons that mount/attach the coach body to the 'power' bogie. The ends of the scrolls are attached to a transverse beams, fitted underneath the bogie. 

This is because the normal centre bogie pivot/pin cannot be used as the the vertical boiler is in the way.  It is Dean's 'centreless' system that was used on his clerestory designs.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 20/10/2020 at 07:52, Kernow MRC said:

We also advise that the valve gear protecting scrolls that were mentioned above have been altered in shape slightly since the screenshots were produced, however as they are fixed to the solebars there is an inevitable compromise with how close we can get them to the bogie and valve gear to allow clearance for the bogie to turn to run on 00 trackwork.

As is usual, all orders that are on our system are still live, we would only contact directly at time of despatch should payment details require updating.

Any project updates are provided via our website on both the new 'Latest News' page and the dedicated Railmotor project page on our website, the media, on here and via our weekly newsletter.

Quick question so I understand, as I've been trying to convince myself to not order this since you announced it! We place an order, it charges, and then you manually refund and charge for real when it comes in? I only ask that with exchange rates that probably means a few dollars change between the first and second charges. I don't expect it to be enough for me to care, i just wanted to understand for sure how your pre-order system is working.

Every time you post CAD's is pushes me more towards another purchase I don't need but kinda want anyways!

Thanks

Stephen

5 hours ago, sjgardiner said:

Quick question so I understand, as I've been trying to convince myself to not order this since you announced it! We place an order, it charges, and then you manually refund and charge for real when it comes in? I only ask that with exchange rates that probably means a few dollars change between the first and second charges. I don't expect it to be enough for me to care, i just wanted to understand for sure how your pre-order system is working.

Every time you post CAD's is pushes me more towards another purchase I don't need but kinda want anyways!

Thanks

Stephen

Yeah that's Kernow's pre order system. Normally refunded either same day or within a few days.