Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Hi Graham, is that a non-working example, or is it a runner?

We have working EPs of both diagrams, I can confirm they are runners, powerful, smooth and quiet, the fully working valve gear is a joy to behold. 

More details and images on Monday.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

We have working EPs of both diagrams, I can confirm they are runners, powerful, smooth and quiet, the fully working valve gear is a joy to behold. 

More details and images on Monday.

Look forward to the images and info.

Was it test on DC or DCC or both? I presume it has a coreless motor due to the space constraints of the boiler?

Sadly, the proportions of the windows and their adjacent paneling on the EP sides is complete rubbish. There may be some (possibly unconvincing) glazing engineering reasons for this, but it doesn't ameliorate the fundamental defects in the design. I'm sorry, but the current offering looks awful to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Sadly, the proportions of the windows and their adjacent paneling on the EP sides is complete rubbish. There may be some (possibly unconvincing) glazing engineering reasons for this, but it doesn't ameliorate the fundamental defects in the design. I'm sorry, but the current offering looks awful to me.

17 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

93_after.jpg 

image.png.84087effbbf380eb5209ebe464cf9585.png

@Miss Prism I agree.  @Mikkel‘s images show just how bad they are.  I can’t understand how door and engine compartment windows are so short and don’t line up with the toplights.

• Agree 5

5 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

@Miss Prism I agree.  @Mikkel‘s images show just how bad they are.  I can’t understand how door and engine compartment windows are so short and don’t line up with the toplights.

But unless mine eyes deceive me they don't line up with the toplights on the real one - the glazed area of the window is slightly narrower than the twin toplights above. 

IMHO comparing the fully painted and decorated full-size item with the plain grey EP model  is a little misleading. Granted, the window pillars appear to be a little too wide, especially those to the right, but the window aperture sizes may have been dictated by the need for robust tooling of the toplight frames - getting these to look as fine as those on the real thing may have required tampo printing onto an extended glazed area, maybe not an easy or ideal solution. I'll let Graham comment on that......:)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally the jury's out on the window pillar width, looking at the prototype the vertical lining close to but not on the edge of the pillars makes them look narrower than they are.

• Agree 2

Following receipt of the 1st Engineering Prototypes We have updated the dedicated project page for the GWR Steam Railmotor here https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor 

We are still in the process of fully evaluating and testing these prototypes, as is the often the case with such a development process we are aware of a few areas that require some attention from the translation of the CADs to tooling (although beware of comparisons between images taken from different angles, perspectives, focal lengths and decoration).

Further updates will be made available in due course as the process continues.

229773584_EP1_RailmotorGroup_1.jpg.6fe3370f3b805de3d12dafb42abad48c.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kernow MRC said:

For those who would like to see a brief video of the valve gear in action see below

Cor - that is good especially when you consider the size of the components involved although no doubt somebody will moan about it being unrealistic because it's in mid gear.:unsure:

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Cor - that is good especially when you consider the size of the components involved although no doubt somebody will moan about it being unrealistic because it's in mid gear.:unsure:

Just need DCC control of the valve gear............:good:

:jester:

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

I would agree that the windows on the engine compartment and the vestibule door look slightly wrong. To me it appears to be that they are too short and the panels/ventilators above are too deep. The coal loading hatch is symmetrically distant from all edges of its panel whereas it should have more space above and below (and it looks the right shape).

Here is a photo of No.93 at Dereham from a similar angle to the 3/4 view EP. The window tops appear to all be inline in my photo of 93.

Apart from that it looks a very impressive model.

988415356_Railmotor93DerehamSept9-17(2).JPG.86ffeb3bfdd933f78a02be70c2eabe19.JPG

Edited by Darwinian
typo

• RMweb Gold

Just for clarity the top of all the total window apertures line up both on the prototype and also the EPs, some of the windows are fitted with either drop lights or sliding windows and therefore have an internal frame that reduced the actual glazed area. the top frame of which on most images of the prototype are in shadow and makes the darker glazed area appear taller, but the frame is there to see if you look closely enough. 

The EPs when photographed have been illuminated from above and below at the same time as to eliminate such shadows.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Try looking at photos of the real things.

93 as "preserved", is not as 92 when running originally.

There also seems to be variations between various members of the same diagram.

A photograph taken at Slough shows there was no vertical beading below the lower mid line between the Driver's door & the Luggage door on 92

There is however vertical beading from the lower midline to the upper midline, inline with the middle of the two engine compartment windows on No 88 of the same diagram, which is not present on 92.

A true minefield

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

We need someone with the SRM book to get involved.

They were, the guys from the Steam Railmotor Project at the GWS have advised throughout the project. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Has anyone mentioned this panel line ?

image.png.6162135819aaac03db4edb3349c92b02.png

Sorry to show my ignorance but there are two different body mouldings (as shown above) for this SRM .I presume this is for different times in its life?

Edited by rprodgers

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

Sorry to show my ignorance but are there two different body mouldings (as shown above) for this SRM at different times in its life?

No two different Diagram types Type R and Type O see here for details https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/144/GWR-Steam-Railmotor

• Like 1