Kernow GWR steam rail motor

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

I hope it will be possible to convert to EM unlike the O2 and Beattie Well Tank

Does that not imply extra work at the design stage, on the off-chance that a small % of purchasers will benefit, but at a cost to the rest? If you were seeking to make an OO model, would you do that? The market remains price-sensitive, and selling the whole batch is the objective. Anything that pushes costs up needs careful consideration and justification.

Does that not imply extra work at the design stage, on the off-chance that a small % of purchasers will benefit, but at a cost to the rest? If you were seeking to make an OO model, would you do that? The market remains price-sensitive, and selling the whole batch is the objective. Anything that pushes costs up needs careful consideration and justification.

No I don't think it does imply extra work at design stage.  Why are the 02, Well Tank, 14xx, 1366 a pain to convert?  It's because they use the split chassis design.  If they make it in the same way as Hornby or Bachmann do then it shouldn't cost any extra.  With a bit of work, converting it to EM won't be too troublesome.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

No I don't think it does imply extra work at design stage.  Why are the 02, Well Tank, 14xx, 1366 a pain to convert?  It's because they use the split chassis design.  If they make it in the same way as Hornby or Bachmann do then it shouldn't cost any extra.  With a bit of work, converting it to EM won't be too troublesome.

I believe the designer then used by Kernow is not a part of the procurement process for this model.

• Like 2

I believe the designer then used by Kernow is not a part of the procurement process for this model.

Can’t say as I’m saddened by that news. The 14xx and Kernow’s own 1361 class are not as good as they should have been. IMO

Can’t say as I’m saddened by that news. The 14xx and Kernow’s own 1361 class are not as good as they should have been. IMO

To be fair to Dave the bodies of both were fantastic.  You're right though, the chassis was unnecessarily complicated unfortunately.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And - so I believe - neither is the factory (which might have had more to do with the arrangement of the chassis on earlier Kernow models than we have perhaps been led to believe.

Sounds good to me Mike if there is an inclining of DJM involvement on this project I won't bother buying it just imagine trying to do what CK has done to the Hattons 14xx

it doesn't bare thinking about, I'm sure Chris won't let us down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good to me Mike if there is an inclining of DJM involvement on this project I won't bother buying it just imagine trying to do what CK has done to the Hattons 14xx

it doesn't bare thinking about, I'm sure Chris won't let us down.

From what I know Bob I can assure you that there is absolutely no DJM involvement whatsoever with this project.  And in practical terms there never has been and although I understood that it would originally have gone that way no work took place outside Kernow before the project was placed elsewhere.

• Like 1

And - so I believe - neither is the factory (which might have had more to do with the arrangement of the chassis on earlier Kernow models than we have perhaps been led to believe?)

Even DJM will no longer use the same factory for future projects. 

• 3 weeks later...

Is kmrc at btconnect dot com the best place to send comment?  (The current CADs are still a disaster zone.)

'A disaster zone'.  Hmm… are we talking of a populated area after the passage of a hurricane or of the early stages of development of a non-essential, therefore luxury, model for the 'richer' end of the model and toy market?

Just wondered….

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

3D printed American bogies are available from Stafford Road Works via Shapeways, and very good they are, too; variety of mounts and NEM pockets.  Mine run very well on Bachmann 14mm coach wheels and don't need bearings.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 31/07/2019 at 22:01, 57xx said:

They could do with producing a few (hundred) extra of those American bogies, I'm sure they would sell out.

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

3D printed American bogies are available from Stafford Road Works via Shapeways, and very good they are, too; variety of mounts and NEM pockets.  Mine run very well on Bachmann 14mm coach wheels and don't need bearings.

& 247 Developments sell the white metal ones & there can build & paint them to order

• RMweb Gold

Yes yes, I know and Dart/MJT do them as well. Doesn't mean a nice RTR version would not be welcome. I still think 3D printing has a way to go until it stops looking like something rescued from 100 years on the sea floor.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

Yes yes, I know and Dart/MJT do them as well. Doesn't mean a nice RTR version would not be welcome. I still think 3D printing has a way to go until it stops looking like something rescued from 100 years on the sea floor.

Yes, still very grainy compared to injection moulded items.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As I've said, I am very happy with my Stafford Road bogies; I've some fishbellies as well with very nicely printed tiebars.  The finish is a lot better than '100 years on the seabed' suggests, although I have seen 3D prints that meet this specification!  A coat of paint is sufficient to smooth out the very minor 'relief' the prints have, which is in any case not apparent unless one examines the surface with a magnifying glass.  Some metal and injection moulded plastic is as bad, especially whitemetal, but they are not quite as good as well finished injection moulded items.      

I'm prepared to live with them, though.  The detail is to my mind crisper than the whitemetal Americans from my old K's A31 (I've replaced these on this coach with Stafford Road fishbellies with tiebars cut out, another compromise as the bogies for this coach need to be a slightly longer wheelbase, but much closer for my chosen prototype).  The K's whitemetal castings were then put under an old Mainline Siphon H, which could not be made to sit down to the correct height on them, hence the replacement with Stafford Road Americans.  

A bogie filthy with oily brake block dust and the other assorted crud it picks up has a surface which, when scaled down, is not unlike the very slightly grainy look of the Stafford Road bogies when they've been painted, but I'd not suggest using black ones unpainted.  Stafford Roads are RTR except for painting and wheels, none of mine have had any flash on them, and are a 'plug in' replacement for RTR bogies.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 06/08/2019 at 13:02, The Johnster said:

As I've said, I am very happy with my Stafford Road bogies; I've some fishbellies as well with very nicely printed tiebars.  The finish is a lot better than '100 years on the seabed' suggests, although I have seen 3D prints that meet this specification!  A coat of paint is sufficient to smooth out the very minor 'relief' the prints have, which is in any case not apparent unless one examines the surface with a magnifying glass.  Some metal and injection moulded plastic is as bad, especially whitemetal, but they are not quite as good as well finished injection moulded items.      

I'm prepared to live with them, though.  The detail is to my mind crisper than the whitemetal Americans from my old K's A31 (I've replaced these on this coach with Stafford Road fishbellies with tiebars cut out, another compromise as the bogies for this coach need to be a slightly longer wheelbase, but much closer for my chosen prototype).  The K's whitemetal castings were then put under an old Mainline Siphon H, which could not be made to sit down to the correct height on them, hence the replacement with Stafford Road Americans.  

A bogie filthy with oily brake block dust and the other assorted crud it picks up has a surface which, when scaled down, is not unlike the very slightly grainy look of the Stafford Road bogies when they've been painted, but I'd not suggest using black ones unpainted.  Stafford Roads are RTR except for painting and wheels, none of mine have had any flash on them, and are a 'plug in' replacement for RTR bogies.

Whilst not the most "up" person on 3D prinitng.  2 things come to mind - if you are using the latest (expensive!) technology, then the prints are much better.  But like anything - use cheap equipment - get a cheap job!  Second, that as it becomes better, and cheaper, as with most techonological things (apart from model railways!), then more people are likely to go down this route.  I know if I ever get to do my mangum-opus layout, that I am hoping to use it, for most of the buildings!  

Regards,

C.

• 1 month later...

Well, aside from the new technology used by Rails for its van, which is not really available, the best 3D print quality I have found is that produced by RMWebbers on their home Photon printers.

These prints are far smoother than the rough Shapeways WSF (or whatever it's now called) and in my experience has the edge on Shapeways very, very expensive FUD.  I hardly buy from Shapeways as a result, because the price/quality balance is not good there, but not all 3D print designers have their own machines.

Where they do, this is IMHO the way to go.

Knuckles of this parish, for instance, can sell you a better and cheaper version of his products produced on his machine than is possible via his Shapeways shop.

Another one to watch is Turbosnail of this parish, designing for himself and for Hardy's Hobbys, and I've just received a 'review sample' of a rather nice print of a open wagon from him.  

The difficulty for bogies is that the materials that give the best results can be a bit brittle, and that can be more of a problem with an item such as a bogie. So far, I've been using second hand whitemetal bogies, and newly reintroduced whitemetal bogies from 247 Developments.

• Informative/Useful 3