Kernow 117 3 car DMU

DJM Dave

If you can point me in the direction of blue/grey CEPs for under £100 I'd be very grateful.

Not quite what you asked, but a wander through ebay a few minutes ago found a pair of these units being offered by Ellis Clark trains as a BiN for £249.99, i.e. for the eight cars.

John.

Not quite what you asked, but a wander through ebay a few minutes ago found a pair of these units being offered by Ellis Clark trains as a BiN for £249.99, i.e. for the eight cars.

John.

Not any more he doesn't.

Should be with me on thursday :)

• Like 4

Without going too off topic, heres a picture of my Lima 117 with the Bachmann class 108 cabs grafted on

post-3095-0-62636700-1535151926_thumb.jpg

Its still looking rough as I ad to not only re-profile the sides of the Bachmann cab, but I removed too much off of the cab walls immediately behind it, so ive packed in some plasticard to move it forward slightly

post-3095-0-02808900-1535151939_thumb.jpg

post-3095-0-14856400-1535151954_thumb.jpg

And finally here are the two bodyshells side by side, on first glimpse they arnt too different, but on closer look the Bachmann cab doesn't angle out as far as the Lima one, and the bodyshell is slightly thicker. I'll post more details up on my workbench, but that will be later as its behind several other projects!

NL

Thanks for the pictures. 

I'd never realised that the Lima one protruded further out.

The published drawings I've come across of these fronts have all been too small to judge the angles with sufficient accuracy, and I've always wondered if the seemingly like products of Derby, Pressed Steel etc. were in fact the same.

John.

• RMweb Gold

interesting point; they certainly looked the same.  One assumes that Pressed Steel, and Gloucester RC&W on the 119 Cross Country, worked from the Derby drawings, so they should have been the same, but this is not the same thing as proof that they were!  The trouble is that this is the sort of thing you are not bothered by until it is pointed out, and you start to look for it everywhere; after a while you start seeing thing that aren't there and the men in white coats come to take you away and give you some more of that nice medication.  

I would work to the assumption (maintaining awareness that it is only an assumtion) that the recent Bachmann and Dapol cabs are correct and the Lima isn't, especially if there is no perceptible difference between Bachmann's and Dapol's cab profiles.  Neither version looks overtly wrong on a model, and on the Lima one's eye is drawn to the overscale body thickness, but if cone is aware of a difference this will have an impact on layouts where both types appear simultaneously.  

Edited by The Johnster

interesting point; they certainly looked the same.  One assumes that Pressed Steel, and Gloucester RC&W on the 119 Cross Country, worked from the Derby drawings, so they should have been the same, but this is not the same thing as proof that they were!  The trouble is that this is the sort of thing you are not bothered by until it is pointed out, and you start to look for it everywhere; after a while you start seeing thing that aren't there and the men in white coats come to take you away and give you some more of that nice medication.  

I would work to the assumption (maintaining awareness that it is only an assumtion) that the recent Bachmann and Dapol cabs are correct and the Lima isn't, especially if there is no perceptible difference between Bachmann's and Dapol's cab profiles.  Neither version looks overtly wrong on a model, and on the Lima one's eye is drawn to the overscale body thickness, but if cone is aware of a difference this will have an impact on layouts where both types appear simultaneously.  

Your points are well made, and on several occasions in the hobby I've wondered if my sanity is being  threatened, I'm sure I'm not alone!

The Consistency principle, advocated by the great Iain Rice, is one that has rung true and loud with me for many years. Just as a Lima 40 and one from Bachmann wouldn't sit well together, nor indeed a Heljan 47 next to a Bachmann one, I'm inclined to your view that the Lima and Bachmann DMU cabs whilst being passable in isolation might jar if side by side. I seem to remember that Jim Smith Wright replaced his Lima cabs with D.C. kits ones, although that option isn't now available, unless one has a stash. It remains to be seen if I'll actually chop a Bachmann body for the fronts, but I'll be wary of parking them next to each other. Thanks again to NickL for the pictures.

John.