DCC Sound Course at Missenden Abbey

cjlangdon

Missenden Abbey course on DCC Sound

Missenden Abbey Railway Modellers have a brand-new sound course scheduled for the Spring Classic Weekend on 6-8 March 2015. We'll be looking at DCC Sound from a finecale perspective, aiming primarily at newcomers to the DCC sound world who want to explore how sound-equipped locos can enhance the operational realism of their railway. We'll look at such topics as what finescale sound actually means, because it will mean different things to different ears. We’ll consider the needs of different scales, and consider what each attendee wants to get from the use of on-board DCC sound. Installation is going to be a large part of the content, looking at decoder choices, speaker choices, placement of the speaker in the model for best results, the use of synchronisers - chuff cams - in steam locos, and other general DCC installation tips and techniques. Programming the decoder's CVs is another area which we'll make sure we look at and we'll also explore tools such as DecoderPro to make that easier and more fun.

As with all Missenden courses, the intention is to give you space to work and encourage you to call on the expertise of not only the tutor but also the other attendees. There's no electronics knowledge required for this course. The nearest we'll get to that will be soldering wires together, and the use of computers to assist in decoder CV programming, with DecoderPro. While we will be looking at decoder choices, it’s unlikely we’ll have time to look in any detail at making your own sound projects and loading them in to decoders. That's, potentially, one for another day.

Our tutor for this course will be a familiar name to many. An early adopter of DCC and onboard sound as ways of enhancing the operation and presentation of railway models, Mick Moignard is now a professional DCC and sound installer, alongside his day job as an IT consultant and developer. Mick has written many magazine articles and given clinics and lectures on what he believes is one of the most important additions to the model railway hobby since it abandoned keys for electricity.

If you’re interested in booking for this course, visit www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk. Although the weekend isn’t until March, by mid-November more than a half of the available places had already been taken.

Christopher Langdon

Course Organiser

Missenden Abbey Railway Modelling Courses

• 2 weeks later...

53 people have booked so far for the Spring Weekend at Missenden (6th-8th March), 9 in the last week.  

Whilst many are doing other courses than DCC Sound, all the bedrooms at the Abbey have now been booked.  However, there is still space for people on the Weekend and there is a list of local bed & breakfast accommodation on the Spring page of the Missenden Modellers' website.  If you are still thinking of booking, don't delay if you want one of the closer b&b places (which you book yourself).

Any questions, send me an message via the Contact page on the Modellers' website.

David

• 1 month later...

53 people have booked so far for the Spring Weekend at Missenden (6th-8th March), 9 in the last week.  

Whilst many are doing other courses than DCC Sound, all the bedrooms at the Abbey have now been booked.  However, there is still space for people on the Weekend and there is a list of local bed & breakfast accommodation on the Spring page of the Missenden Modellers' website.  If you are still thinking of booking, don't delay if you want one of the closer b&b places (which you book yourself).

Any questions, send me an message via the Contact page on the Modellers' website.

David

We now have 69 people attending the Spring Weekend. This leaves one placae left! Interestingly, 20 of these are first timers at Missenden. Should be a great weekend!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Booked into this afternoon with the first session after dinner tonight.

Really impressed so far with a tutor who really knows his subject, and a good cross section of fellow students I am really looking forward to the next couple of days.

Terry

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much feedback on this course. I'd be interested to know how it went, if there 's any more planned etc. Grateful for any contributions. Thanks.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

I attended the spring course I learnt a lot about fitting sound chips into locomotives and very useful tips on speakers to enhance the sound quality

Also explained how JMRI works and loaded it on my laptop also used the sprog for reprogramming CVs

The tutor was very helpful explaining in depth all the subject matter

Also a lot of one to one as required ( fitted to locomotives with sound over the weekend)

A very good weekend and (I recommend it to the house) and I will certainly attend another course in the future

Terry

• RMweb Gold

I was not doing the DCC sound course ( I was weathering with Tim Shackleton) but as Mick was there I took a problem project along with me which he happily spent time on and helped me resolve. In the short time I was with him I also picked up some really practical tips about wiring etc.

Chris

Archived