Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Here are the next batch of people.

first up the fish monger selling her fish off the train from grimsby, i would say fresh off it but then it would wiff a bit, she will have a customer eventually.

post-23520-0-09741800-1420591219_thumb.jpg

you may notice the milk cart in the background, it has moved, it was to be in the factory grounds but i am undecided, it does look good on the road.

post-23520-0-22483500-1420591234_thumb.jpg

then the casters from cluro castings are moving the latest casting out to sit awaiting cllection in their yard, but what other gubbins to put in here to fill it up realistically? I will move the man off the fence, he is only placed to see if i like the placement.

post-23520-0-12903800-1420591198_thumb.jpg

Lastly the cess is now filled in on the ballasting to tidy it all up. The eagle eyed will also notice some trees have sprouted, they are temporarily in place to see if they work there. i do not want them to be in the middle it would lok wrong, but do they work at all as the need to be short to fit in the box when the two boards are faced off against each other.

post-23520-0-12943900-1420591208_thumb.jpg

next some dogs, an old english sheep dog, a lab and something else which i can not work out.

Richard

• Like 7

Headlines could be:

Suffragette Outrage

New Dreadnought launched.

Kaiser's Alarming Speech

War threatens in Balkans (It nearly always did)

GC General Manager Knighted (1912)

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all the suggestions

The miners and balkans are both great suggestions, along with election victories, i will have to see which are readable when reduced to half a 4mm man height.

Hi,

If you can shrink it to two words, i.e. Tories Win!,  Balkan War? King's Visit! then there would be a better chance of seeing it.

More people, one needs a banner which should be obvious.

Also i have gone to the dogs, the old english sheep dog has no leash,

post-23520-0-23663400-1420854068_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-09538500-1420854121_thumb.jpg

but the Lab? has one fitted,

post-23520-0-36029300-1420854051_thumb.jpg

there is a Heinz 57 one on the overbridge which also has a leesh fitted using a little masking tape painted up.

Two futher groups of people.

The first is a young mother waiting at the top of the stairs for her sailor husband to come up the stairs.

post-23520-0-46885600-1420854087_thumb.jpg

The second group is being pursuaded of the benefits of giving women the vote. She needs a banner too but that can be much more direct.

The one in red came out by accident as the paint held off the risen areas to give an interesting affect to the dress.

post-23520-0-42572800-1420854135_thumb.jpg

Just a couple more women to paint, i am finding the fashion colouring is coming to to me if i look at each figure in turn, new carer perhaps?

No to get on with the news board and placard.

I am sure this is a railway but i dont seem to be going near any wheels recently.

Richard

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

More people, one needs a banner which should be obvious.

Also i have gone to the dogs, the old english sheep dog has no leash,

attachicon.gifrmsheepdog.jpg

attachicon.gifrmsheepdog2.jpg

but the Lab? has one fitted,

attachicon.gifRMmandog.jpg

there is a Heinz 57 one on the overbridge which also has a leesh fitted using a little masking tape painted up.

Two futher groups of people.

The first is a young mother waiting at the top of the stairs for her sailor husband to come up the stairs.

attachicon.gifrmmaid.jpg

The second group is being pursuaded of the benefits of giving women the vote. She needs a banner too but that can be much more direct.

The one in red came out by accident as the paint held off the risen areas to give an interesting affect to the dress.

attachicon.gifrmsuffragette.jpg

Just a couple more women to paint, i am finding the fashion colouring is coming to to me if i look at each figure in turn, new carer perhaps?

No to get on with the news board and placard.

I am sure this is a railway but i dont seem to be going near any wheels recently.

Richard

Morning Richard

Leash???? How long have you been in the colonies? 

yours

Gus the gundog

• RMweb Gold

The figures are really bringing the layout to life. I'm impressed you've managed to get the labrador to look so good. I tried that one once and gave up.

I was painting one of those drays from Dart Castings yesterday evening. Is that lettering I see on the side of yours? 

• RMweb Premium

The figures are really bringing the layout to life. I'm impressed you've managed to get the labrador to look so good. I tried that one once and gave up.

I was painting one of those drays from Dart Castings yesterday evening. Is that lettering I see on the side of yours? 

Hi Mikkel

Richard has done a good job on painting a Harvey type Labrador but one like me is a lot easier. 

post-16423-0-20314700-1420875041_thumb.jpg

Yours 

Gus the gundog

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surely that would require bunting and crowds, how many people can i paint without going insane?

But wait.......an excuse for a royal train.......thats another build!

Richard,

I find with painting the women that I have to approach each one individually and try and work out what colour goes with what.  I like the sash, how did you do it?

Model Railway Developments said that they might do a Suffragette complete with banner although some of their figures can be a little large others are just right.

Richard,

I find with painting the women that I have to approach each one individually and try and work out what colour goes with what.  I like the sash, how did you do it?

Model Railway Developments said that they might do a Suffragette complete with banner although some of their figures can be a little large others are just right.

the sash was a piece of paper where i used a sharpee to draw the two outer colours and then useda ruler and scalple to trim it to size width wise before looping it round and using PVA to hold it in place.

Thanks for the suggestion of MRD for other relevant kit.

Richard

• Like 1

Thanks for the "Like" of the lab, I did it a yellow, then had stone in places to change the shading. Nose was then done black, a wash of brown put over the top to bring out shaddows. A lead, (back to UK ) was made from a thin strip of painted masking tape. One dog painted. The Old English sheeep dog was white then dry brushed with black on the rear end.

The dray has Great central Railway down the side, it is a copy of an image on google, if you search images for horse and cart. It has brake gear added and the chains hanging below.

• Like 1

More people and the approximate position for some, The newspaper seller is done, i actually changed the figure as it seems most at that time held the papers in one hand and a big advert for the paper in the other, i went for fog crash, could be any time, though trams did go in the 50s. He will not appear on the station, but rather the bridge. However, there is better lighting down on the platform in order to see his sign better.

post-23520-0-19656700-1420937662_thumb.jpg

to complement this i found a notice saying trains disrupted by fog, on the GER........I am sure the GCR would notify people of issues with their neighbour as they had connecting services.

post-23520-0-85323800-1420937685_thumb.jpg

The last dog and owner, again a change as originally it was to go with a suited chap, but he was more likely off to work where as this one is more at leisure.

post-23520-0-32352100-1420937674_thumb.jpg

The suffragette has got her sign, again cropped from a photo of an actual sign, i was going to fit a wooden post to it but in the photo it was held in the hands.

post-23520-0-11388900-1420937717_thumb.jpg

In the second Beyond can be the fisher woman selling her wares and at the top almost blured to extiction is the top hatted gentleman and his wife.

post-23520-0-68411500-1420937699_thumb.jpg

Just 2 women left and then it is on to the coal merchants cart. I do need  horse though, would they have had a cart horse or just a bog standard dobin?

Richard

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Richard,

We are talking about a period when horses were very common and were smaller than the same horses of today.  (I know I should reference that but I did not kept that article or web page, trust me I am not a nurse.)

Dart Castings do various horses although I doubt that they would have used a Shire Horse.  How far is your layout from Suffolk?  A Suffolk Punch is a possibility although a little large.  Langley do some as well.  They were criticised elsewhere for being too small for Shires but actually they are correct for the turn of the century, (19th to 20th that is.) 

I do like the way you have grouped your figures.

• Like 1

Thanks Chris, i will look at the langley offering. We are a bit far from east Anglia as it is set in Nottinghamshire.

I have finished the road scene, minus the coal wagon

post-23520-0-22246100-1421003282_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-03463600-1421003295_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-45253700-1421003305_thumb.jpg

and the casting yard. Though i feel that needs a little somethingelse to finish it  off.

post-23520-0-74205500-1421003273_thumb.jpg

I will let the pictures do the talking.

Is there any thing else which could go in to the scene to make it more realistic organic items help break up the angular engineering lines?

Richard

• Like 4

Thank you for the kind comments.

The streets then seemed to have a reasonable level of pedestrian activity as most people walked.

The casting yard was going to get the milk cart originally, but it just did not sit right, i might do an early lorry backed up as that would look better than a wagon(?). Perhaps a dray without a horse that is being loaded up, then the horse could be tied up away by the gates, (yet to be built).

Horsedung........ i feel an experiment coming on to find something/ a mix with the right texture. There is no smellovision at least.

Richard.

• Like 1

Excellent and helpful advice, exactly what i hoped RM web would provide. I am intrigued by the positioning of the lettering on the insulated version. Were not insulated wagons white all over?

Sorry to have missed this. The answer is 'not in GC days'. The white circle may have been a RCH convention as other railways used it. (My L&Y source says 'post Great War' for a similar circle.) The reason for the vans was that in WW1 a new traffic started in imported meat. I'm not sure (dodgy memory as to precise facts) whether it arrived in the UK on the hoof to be slaughtered at the port or in carcass form, but either way extra insulated vans were needed, and not just on the GC. Hence the date of circa 1917. (When Britain was close to being starved out by the U-boats.)

The GC also had some refrigerated vans - it is sometimes said they were in a lighter shade of grey, and at least some of them carried a massive white five pointed star on the door with a big white 'G' and 'C' on either side with the word 'Refrigerator' written across the van side in big red letters cutting across the other lettering. Not sure what they were used for, but I suspect imported meat, and they certainly ran to Marylebone as I've seen a photo of some there.

The only other variation is that Engineering stock was painted red oxide. I am not sure if this included sleeper wagons as they were sometimes used in traffic and the logic of the different livery was to distinguish non-revenue earning stock.

Finally it is reported that cranes and the associated vans were blue (which blue?) with vermilion ends. BTW I have seen a photo that suggests that some 6 wheeled brake vans also had vermilion ends, but I have seen no written evidence of this. 

• Like 2

One curry, two Guinness, and a vodka and prune juice.

That will fix the smellovision.

but i some how feel the consistancy would be wrong. It is back to that old phrase about dont let the bottom fall out of your world eat a madras curry and let the world fall out of.......

Hi Richard

I have just been thinking about your suffragettes, would there be a constable keeping an eye on them?  

they have not chained themselves, and it was more likely to be a detetive near the GCR as Suffragettes set fire to GCR trains using the time between stations to the full in the unobserved non corridor stock to set up their incenduries.

......Now i have to model a train on fire, at this rate this will become a German layout in more than just name.

• Like 1

Sorry to have missed this. The answer is 'not in GC days'. The white circle may have been a RCH convention as other railways used it. (My L&Y source says 'post Great War' for a similar circle.) The reason for the vans was that in WW1 a new traffic started in imported meat. I'm not sure (dodgy memory as to precise facts) whether it arrived in the UK on the hoof to be slaughtered at the port or in carcass form, but either way extra insulated vans were needed, and not just on the GC. Hence the date of circa 1917. (When Britain was close to being starved out by the U-boats.)

The GC also had some refrigerated vans - it is sometimes said they were in a lighter shade of grey, and at least some of them carried a massive white five pointed star on the door with a big white 'G' and 'C' on either side with the word 'Refrigerator' written across the van side in big red letters cutting across the other lettering. Not sure what they were used for, but I suspect imported meat, and they certainly ran to Marylebone as I've seen a photo of some there.

The only other variation is that Engineering stock was painted red oxide. I am not sure if this included sleeper wagons as they were sometimes used in traffic and the logic of the different livery was to distinguish non-revenue earning stock.

Finally it is reported that cranes and the associated vans were blue (which blue?) with vermilion ends. BTW I have seen a photo that suggests that some 6 wheeled brake vans also had vermilion ends, but I have seen no written evidence of this. 

Helpful as always.

Some brakes with red ends, do i dare paint it and then post it on the GCforum to see the response. I have two so maybe one with and one without.

• Like 1