Dettingen GCR might have been layout

And the final project before spray painting as a batch.

This will take a little longer as it needs to be scratch built. looking forward to all the rivets.

I just saw its length and thought it had to be built.

post-23520-0-98690400-1424455392_thumb.jpg

must make sure i do not put any twist into it, at that length it will be very noticable.

Richard

• Like 5

Probably to keep the tare weight as low as possible, given that the loads would tend to be rather heavy. Also possibly to allow certain loads to protrude below floor level, thereby keeping within the loading gauge.

Then a change of tack and the fitting of fences and mud/bushes around the wood.

first wire up the plastic fence posts each cut, and shaped from plastic sprue, indervidually drilled for the five wires to run through and then run on to the wires.

post-23520-0-39742700-1424743617_thumb.jpg

Holes drilled for the posts and marked out with cooing skewers so that the holes are not lost in the grass, all using a template for the spacing of the posts.

post-23520-0-22822300-1424743629_thumb.jpg

Fence fitted up the bank and bedded in with folliage

post-23520-0-19639700-1424743665_thumb.jpg

Then the mud bank given attention on the road side, it is a lighter mud to the mud in the wood as that is in the shade and so would not have had the sun to dry it out.

post-23520-0-35962100-1424743640_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-49397300-1424743651_thumb.jpg

Have noticed how th trees foliage looks so starkly different, it is the flash as it is much more muted and blended in reality.

That is 2/3 of the embankment done. One field left, cows or horses that is the question?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Then a change of tack and the fitting of fences and mud/bushes around the wood.

first wire up the plastic fence posts each cut, and shaped from plastic sprue, indervidually drilled for the five wires to run through and then run on to the wires.

attachicon.giffence1.jpg

Holes drilled for the posts and marked out with cooing skewers so that the holes are not lost in the grass, all using a template for the spacing of the posts.

attachicon.giffences2.jpg

Fence fitted up the bank and bedded in with folliage

attachicon.giffences5.jpg

Then the mud bank given attention on the road side, it is a lighter mud to the mud in the wood as that is in the shade and so would not have had the sun to dry it out.

attachicon.giffences3.jpg

attachicon.giffences4.jpg

Have noticed how th trees foliage looks so starkly different, it is the flash as it is much more muted and blended in reality.

That is 2/3 of the embankment done. One field left, cows or horses that is the question?

HI Richard

You have been busy.

As for the field, horses or cows? Depends on the grass. Dairy cattle do better on some grasses, which make horses fat, so they are not normally mixed. You will need to find out what types of cattle were farmed in your area at the date of modelling, some places were better for beef heards and others dairy. See I do listen to Carys and the Archers.

• Like 1

The main cow to avoid for the era is the Fresian, which is the most common cow of all in the modern UK - black and white jobs, as they were very rare back in the day. A 'safe' colour is brown, or black, possibly with odd white streaks and patches but not the piebald effect. Often with horns, another thing that 'modern' cattle tend not to have. 

There's a whole small pocket book on cows - I have a copy - and its amazing how many breeds there are. The majority are now relatively rare as the all conquering Fresian dominates most fields.

This is the thing with railway modelling - it takes you into all sorts of unexpected fields - no pun intended. It's a similar story with pigs and indeed sheep. A highly educative hobby ours. You could build a complete school curriculum around it. (Even French could be taught by a study of that genius Monsieur Chapelon.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like it will be horses, less of a minefield unless someone is going to tell me that horses back then had horns.

Except unicorns who obviously had a horn and always will, .................that has given me an idea.

Hi Richard

Would there have been many horses in fields? Most would have been working animals and those that weren't would have been stabled ready for when the lord of the manor said "Saddle up Brian the 'orse, I have a fox to hunt."

http://www.bedfordtoday.co.uk/news/local/brian-the-former-police-horse-is-put-up-for-sale-1-6595069

Wow!

I've been lurking on and off here for ages, but not popped in for several months.

This layout is brilliant.Pretty much what I am intending to build... in time!

Thank you for the kind comment, feedback is appreciated as there is little understanding of pre grouping UK outline here in the states.

I would say if you want the layout start building componants for it now and they will be ready to place when the boards appear. There are changes in the track layout i would make to improve opperational interest.  Could say more if you want to?

Clive now you are making me think about horses, so just unicorns .....or did they work those back then as well?    The cruel beeep beeb beeps.

Richard

Progress update. The fence has been finished for the cows field.

post-23520-0-39524800-1425260469_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-11173000-1425260461_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-03548900-1425260454_thumb.jpg

Yes the cows are the wrong colour, but they do have horns which will be obvious once repainted.

Also the long open wagon has got its load.

post-23520-0-22985400-1425260477_thumb.jpg

God bless the little coffee stirers you can get which are used in take away establishments. It will be sheeted down once the wagon is painted. That is on hold as it is snowing outside again.

• Like 8

Hi Richard

Glad you pointed me in the direction of this layout of yours; the stock and locos look very convincing, as does the scenic work. Now I know where this, I shall follow its progress with great interest. (Not quite sure about that big green thing that says 2001 on the cab, though!). A bit of a space odyssey, methinks.

Keep up the good work.

Terry

Rivets anyone.

post-23520-0-37459200-1425859712_thumb.jpg

It is not done there are still 64 to add.

For the counters of rivets out ther that still means i will be 48 short of the correct number which as this is the tail end of the riveting makes me question how many i have fitted from the start.

Thank goodness for transfer rivets.

The next wagon was going to be a 53ft weltrol but i think that will wait until i can face a lot of rivets again. Instead i think i will build an open cct, i have counter it only has 24 rivets......easy.

Richard

• Like 6

Thank you for the craftmanship ticks above, in fairness though i think it requires little skill, but a loss of sanity is compulsory. Perserverance is necessary more than any other skill. lets hope it all shows up once it is all painted up.

• Like 1

Don't undersell yourself. To build something like this from scratch requires quite a bit of skill, and certainly a lot of perseverance. Only a small minority would think of tackling such a project.

• RMweb Premium

Don't undersell yourself. To build something like this from scratch requires quite a bit of skill, and certainly a lot of perseverance. Only a small minority would think of tackling such a project.

Hi Poggy

I find building from scratch, not that I have done much in recent years, does not take skill, or perseverance but sheer determination that I will have a model of something I want and have it now not 30 years time should an RTR version appear.

Skill comes as you make your models. Learning form others can be helpful, even if it is little tips like keeping your files clean so that they cut. I spent a whole club night cleaning Richard's files for him. I do hope he is not bringing them back to England this summer because they need cleaning again.

What I like about making my own is researching the prototype enough to make a model, working out how I am going to achieve building it and the actual assembly.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind words.

Those files you mentioned Clive...............plasticard does fill them up somewhat and so does white metal. What are you doing say last Monday in June at 8pm?

I too enjoy the research element, though i also like to see it go together, the main painting i just get through, but then i get really into the fine painting and weathering, especially wood at the moment.

In all honesty i think the kill comes from knowing what will work for the pieces and in which order they ned to go together. Building a few good kits teaches you that. How much do i and many others owe to Parkside Dundas?

I have a few more pics of progress which i must upload, but i am preping for my USA driving theory test tomorrow, so they will be on hold until later tomorrow.

Richard

• Like 2

Some pictures of the ladies.........cows that have been back dated and put to munch happily in the field whilst watching the railway.

post-23520-0-45924100-1426266335_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-61048700-1426266347_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-93552800-1426266356_thumb.jpg

It is amazing how much more things are brought to life with a little wash of, in this case, mud brown over them.

Richard

• Like 4

Next up the wagons are through the paintshop.

First up the gunpowder van in bufferbeam red, it will mellow in shine aftr transfers and a matt varnish is applied.

post-23520-0-09034200-1426266520_thumb.jpg

Next the warflat, tried to get the wood right. Still unsure of its lettering for transfers c.1918

post-23520-0-52071500-1426266531_thumb.jpg

Third is the twin bolster

post-23520-0-55998500-1426266545_thumb.jpg

Then the long wagon

post-23520-0-05661000-1426266557_thumb.jpg

Lastly the set. In the background is the flatrol it needs more work, i will be pulling out the wire as it is too simplistic as these wagons had chains fixed at the top and i think i have a solution to make it work .........watch this space.

post-23520-0-86318100-1426266570_thumb.jpg

Next up trial fitting loads

• Like 7

Loads trial fitted, they will need roping/chaining down

First up the long wagon with its wood load, it will be roped down in due course.

post-23520-0-24919100-1426267016_thumb.jpg

Then the twin bolster with telegraph poles, these will be chained down

post-23520-0-19160000-1426267004_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-03706200-1426267029_thumb.jpg

Lastly the whippet, it may get personalised if i can find some letters in my spare transfers box. the second still awaits its replacement left track and i may add stores boxes to it to ring the changes.

post-23520-0-02765000-1426266979_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-74663400-1426266994_thumb.jpg

the question is how to secure the tank, i assume chains but how to get them to look under tension in 4mm, also would they not have a tightening block?

transfers to come and weathering.

Richard

P.S. i passed the driving theory test, now just have to drive 1 mile on test to get my full licence.

• Like 6

How many 'Musical Boxes' are going to go on that warflat?  If there is only the one it might be better in the middle of the wagon, as in the real world (which doesn't apply here thankfully :D ), if loaded like that you'd be putting a huge mass over one bogie, so in effect the other wheelsets would be carrying little or none of the load... which isn't good for the axle loading, or for the longitudinal stability of the wagon.  Of course if there is another in the works waiting to be fitted you could put it on the other end and balance out.  

Gah, another instance of my dayjob butting into my hobby.... :rolleyes: 

Really great work on the new wagons- the well wagon in particular is turning out as a great build.