Dettingen GCR might have been layout

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gr.king said:

What if you reflect upon your own "faults" and then have absolutely no intention of changing them, as I sometimes have done?

Well, if you have any sense, you don't tell anyone about them!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gr.king said:

What if you reflect upon your own "faults" and then have absolutely no intention of changing them, as I sometimes have done?

Faults in your work! is this like painting a mouse on every picture to see if anyone can notice it?If I reflect on some thing and decide it does not need to change then it is a difference not a fault. That applies more to life, in modeling faults are left if I have reached the limit of my capabilities. I rarely go back and up date a model when finished with it. It marks a point in my modeling journey and I remember life events happening around it when building it. 
richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Ripping off Wolverton.

That’s fighting talk.

look at this as the apprentice becomes the master. 
the bogies on these are different in their spring arrangement. 

I have got this far in my thinking, with folds though how to secure it top or bottom?

95B255DA-750B-4E3C-BE3D-0A11CE9B91EC.jpeg.af4a81a1b0f5cce73283639a1f87cfc1.jpeg

How to fill the sides with anything in the kit.

50525AD5-A2B4-4FA4-812B-62ECED79B390.jpeg.04e533d6d5e9de613dd2453b219f72bc.jpeg

08FAABC9-3AB9-4A52-AF93-77BB0C516FDD.jpeg.b48abeff99beac4c35d423da3a6581c3.jpeg

And what the cross strut is for if unaltered as it has no hole for the bogie pivot screw. Or how the loose spring bits might fit, from the number it looks like 2 per bogie. 
richard

• Like 4

10 hours ago, billbedford said:

Does this help? It is a later Robinson bogie, but it does show the arrangement of the bolster springs, plank and swing links. 999558406_BBN058000GCR8.png.694f27e647aa04df8c69b34d62bd61f2.png

Yes it does thank you, though it does look like I will need to drill out the plank so I can pass the bolt through it. 
many thanks

richard

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 07:30, billbedford said:

Does this help? It is a later Robinson bogie, but it does show the arrangement of the bolster springs, plank and swing links. 999558406_BBN058000GCR8.png.694f27e647aa04df8c69b34d62bd61f2.png

You have my attention, I would need ten or twenty of these if WorsleyWorks Can be persuade to shrink his 7mm suburban stock. Spending on If I go for one or two 5 car sets. 
richard 

• RMweb Gold

"I would need ten or twenty of these if WorsleyWorks Can be persuade to shrink his 7mm suburban stock. " I would be very interested in three or four vehicles. Are you in touch with WW about this?

regards

Alastair M

5 hours ago, A Murphy said:

"I would need ten or twenty of these if WorsleyWorks Can be persuade to shrink his 7mm suburban stock. " I would be very interested in three or four vehicles. Are you in touch with WW about this?

regards

Alastair M

I have asked and he said he would put it in the queue of things to look at, but it does not hurt someone else suggesting that they are interested.

richard

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, billbedford said:

I have etching tools for the following:-

image.png.cda633cc4ac4f45cef523e43cd6c1572.png

...and these may or may not be OK to etch from:-

image.png.73f88a148fc0f760d6eec3c19b074374.png

But in the longer term I plan to do at least some of these as resin prints. 

Bill

i have built your 4 wheelers as a set and have a match board set to build plus many wagons. I find the wagons easy to work out, but I must confess to needing to sit down with your sheet explaining what the codes mean to interpret which each is specifically.  Still there are many worse things than sitting with pen, paper and a small brandy coming up with a wish list to leave for family to find in December and at birthday time. 
resin prints seems and interesting way forward, the gnr carriages already done look great. 
richard 

• Like 1

It seems I have repeated a graphic. The maybe list should have been this one:-

image.png.5b5126afe71e41e5b1752987b091c33b.png

The GC diagram numbers where of the form Number Letter Number, where the first number was:-

1 - NPCS

2 - 4 & 6 wheelers

3 - Non-corridor bogies

4 - Non-corridor bogie with lavatories

5 - Gangwayed stock

6 -  Self propelled and p&p stock

The letter was the carriage type eg:-

B - All third

L - Composite

Q - All first

Y - Full brake van

The second number was a sequential number for that letter type. 

The final group of letters is the LNER/BR type codes:-

B - Brake

C - Composite

F - First

K (suffix) - Corrdor

O (suffix) - Open

T - Third

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while as I was soldering on all the nuts. Not a fascinating photo, though the advice to get steel bolts for the soldering of brass nuts worked like a charm.

This is the first bogie to proving stage. more interesting photo.
254582A2-8D42-499C-AF51-7C5E7541ED98.jpeg.199e927ae003dfe03a961b6cf1dfb659.jpeg

it is probably not how it was intended to go together, but looking at the pieces and the instructions kindly sent, it is my approximation of what was meant to happen. 
stupid question time: the springs should be open at the sides, not solid between the top and bottom ones? otherwise they would not spring.
still has brake rigging, axle boxes and springs to fit.

now to copy the arrangement on the scratch built one so that can get to the same stage. Thank god I did it second, I think I would have lost the will to live if I built it as number 14. 

then the other 12 to make, some of which are missing the springs so a replacement set will need making x number of times. Not sure how many, but it is definitely more than once.  I know master and cast as an option. 
richard 

• Like 2

Do you mean the bolster double-leaf springs? There would have to be a gap between the two sets of leaves in order for there to be much "give" at all in the spring. Straight leaves of varying lengths built up into a solid diamond shape would produce something extremely stiff.

Different bogie model in this image but gaps present between the paired bolster springs:STA71328m.jpg.316a4f36e42a3209e50f36efe1e9cb3e.jpg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gr.king said:

Do you mean the bolster double-leaf springs? There would have to be a gap between the two sets of leaves in order for there to be much "give" at all in the spring. Straight leaves of varying lengths built up into a solid diamond shape would produce something extremely stiff.

Different bogie model in this image but gaps present between the paired bolster springs:STA71328m.jpg.316a4f36e42a3209e50f36efe1e9cb3e.jpg

Thanks, you have confirmed my engineering suspicions.

richard

• Like 1

The scratch built bogie was finished up to the same point as the kit built bogie and then they were placed under a carriage to see if it passes muster in a train.

BC8BF6FD-E99E-40B3-A7E6-D84A7249129D.jpeg.fae33b9ffb2ffbaae91d395e47dba20a.jpeg
C6503A1B-ABAC-43CB-88D4-69EBE206604F.jpeg.f35171cb0ffe5c4fcad88f5c488aedc3.jpeg

the scratch built one is on the  right and at the  right hand end of the carriage, but then you knew that because it is not as refined and is missing brakes. 
Richard

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

49 minutes ago, richard i said:

the scratch built one is on the  right and at the  right hand end of the carriage, but then you knew that because it is not as refined and is missing brakes. 

Should still look OK.  A coat of paint can hide a multitude of sins!!   Any way, is anyone going to be studying and comparing them from less than a couple of feet away?

Jim

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Should still look OK.  A coat of paint can hide a multitude of sins!!   Any way, is anyone going to be studying and comparing them from less than a couple of feet away?

Jim

Thanks, study from less than a couple of feet, I hope not, but we know someone inevitably will. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Some good news!

i found a half complete etch for a bogie. 
911BF4C5-C674-4E2D-929D-6865C43F6217.jpeg.6b65b81f1c3982f2b12cd87ab072d2b3.jpeg

I will take the brakes off here and put it on the scratch built one. Then it will fit in better with all the rest.

what a result............as long as I have not miscounted the number of etches. 
richard

• Like 2

This is four. Still ten to go.

CE6BCAA7-40F7-4DBA-9BFC-1D3DAD09949C.jpeg.a7b0859fb5a08e33f7e56f21084f309b.jpeg

actually I already on number five, so far I have put none together in the same way. The fifth included. I am still not convinced that way number five is right so I am sure I will find another permutation for that one. Still at least I have plenty to practice on to get it right.

richard

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1