Dettingen GCR might have been layout

8 hours ago, Poggy1165 said:

I am looking forward to the book on GCR carriages which John Quick has in preparation. I suspect it will answer many questions on the subject. All? Never.

I agree, as it is I am building up my primary research until it appears. 
richard 

I imagine that  John will endeavour to complete that book as far as it is possible to complete it, as and when life's many challenges eventually allow him to do it. There are plainly very many things in respect of GCR carriages that are not known or, which are not recorded in the remaining official documents. The task of assembling and digesting the scattered pieces of surviving information must be bewildering, even with the willing assistance of fellow enthusiasts.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I imagine that  John will endeavour to complete that book as far as it is possible to complete it, as and when life's many challenges eventually allow him to do it. There are plainly very many things in respect of GCR carriages that are not known or, which are not recorded in the remaining official documents. The task of assembling and digesting the scattered pieces of surviving information must be bewildering, even with the willing assistance of fellow enthusiasts.

A Herculean task for sure. I have nothing but respect for anyone prepared to try to put together a book on all gcr carriages. I fully understand how life takes priority for everyone. This is after all a hobby. A fun one but just a hobby.

richard 

• Like 3

Question time

the grey mid panels on double doors in luggage and brakes. What were they for?

i can se them on the luggage composite clearly from new, but I can not make them out on the brake third or first. In some photos it definitely looks to be there, others definitely not to my eye, and then there are the maybe ones. In French grey or cream liveries I am building them in, you would think it would be obvious. Maybe if I understood their purpose then it might help make sense of the rhyme or reason of whether they were there or not. 
for those worried they have missed significant amounts of the build, fear not, this is a future question for down the track. I just thought I would ask it now so I have the answer for when I am at the painting stage.

many thanks for the help,

richard 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, richard i said:

Question time

the grey mid panels on double doors in luggage and brakes. What were they for?

Again in complete ignorance of GCR passenger rolling stock, are these slate panels for chalking destinations? I've looked at Midland carriage marshalling instructions of this period: on long distance expresses, each luggage compartment is assigned for luggage to a specific station or group of stations.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Again in complete ignorance of GCR passenger rolling stock, are these slate panels for chalking destinations? 

I would say yes, they were slate panels for exactly the purpose @Compound2632 describes, though not all companies had them.  I recall seeing them on BR CCT's and GUV's.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Again in complete ignorance of GCR passenger rolling stock, are these slate panels for chalking destinations? I've looked at Midland carriage marshalling instructions of this period: on long distance expresses, each luggage compartment is assigned for luggage to a specific station or group of stations.

That would make great sense. So luggage rather than guard related. 
thank you

richard 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Do you have any pictures of these, or can you point me in the right direction.  I have about 4 MLSR coaches to build, one at least has a luggage compartment, and one has a gas compartment, (whatever that is), so to see what you are referring to would be great.  I have Dow Vol 2 but pictures of coaches seem to be scarce, well ones that have good side on views.

Thank you.

On 16/11/2020 at 05:03, ChrisN said:

Do you have any pictures of these, or can you point me in the right direction.  I have about 4 MLSR coaches to build, one at least has a luggage compartment, and one has a gas compartment, (whatever that is), so to see what you are referring to would be great.  I have Dow Vol 2 but pictures of coaches seem to be scarce, well ones that have good side on views.

Thank you.

Does this help?

1F6D50B6-293D-4A61-B8B1-9B1DA33370E8.jpeg.ba10f99bad123c6305fdb8bae28de3b1.jpeg

richard 

• Thanks 1

Here we go, daft idea number 403.

i do not have enough grab handles with bends in them for all the carriages from the fret. 
2297B0D3-556B-4F6C-8367-12378CC854DC.jpeg.2ba1c6a1ff0cf50b0a192eb33bb3f76d.jpeg

so what about using the left over etch which followed the shape. It is 0.7 mm rather than 0.5mm of the original. Will they work or look too chunky? I feel an experiment coming along. If it works it might be a solution for the three carriages which need them. 

in other news I have fitted the end ladders to the brake first. 
FDA50697-62ED-481A-B67F-83C67BC2E5B1.jpeg.48d09ce8ec63f29b5197a8cf169f4eab.jpeg

richard

• Like 5

A couple of pins the right distance apart in a piece of board would serve as a simple jig to allow you to fold up as many grab handles as you could ever need from some nice thin brass wire. I sometimes find that a strip of staples of the right size lurks in my stationery cupboard too, and they can look okay when painted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/11/2020 at 10:03, ChrisN said:

Thank you.

There is a preserved 4 wheeled carriage, a luggage tri composite, at the Vintage Carriage Trust at the KWVR and there are others preserved elsewhere. If you happen to be building the 7mm Alphagrafix kit, that is the vehicle it is based on. There have been a few changes in preservation but it is better than having no information at all!

There was a series of articles in the HMRS magazines on CLC carriages which has some drawings and details of MSLR/GCR designs that may help too.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There is a preserved 4 wheeled carriage, a luggage tri composite, at the Vintage Carriage Trust at the KWVR and there are others preserved elsewhere. If you happen to be building the 7mm Alphagrafix kit, that is the vehicle it is based on. There have been a few changes in preservation but it is better than having no information at all!

There was a series of articles in the HMRS magazines on CLC carriages which has some drawings and details of MSLR/GCR designs that may help too.

Thank you. 

I am building a 3D coach at the moment from Shapeways produced by @Bedders.  I also have a number of diagrams from the Great Central Railway Society which I have copied and have produced parts from a Silhouette cutter.  I model the Cambrian and all these are through carriages which means it makes life interesting.

I shall try and track down the HMRS articles as they may be useful and CLC was not that far away so they might also have made an appearance.  I will stop there so as not to detract from Richard's thread.

Thank you again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Thank you. 

I am building a 3D coach at the moment from Shapeways produced by @Bedders.  I also have a number of diagrams from the Great Central Railway Society which I have copied and have produced parts from a Silhouette cutter.  I model the Cambrian and all these are through carriages which means it makes life interesting.

I shall try and track down the HMRS articles as they may be useful and CLC was not that far away so they might also have made an appearance.  I will stop there so as not to detract from Richard's thread.

Thank you again.

Sounds a fascinating project! Right up my street.

That is the same vehicle that Alphagrafix have done in 7mm. I scratchbuilt the same one in 4mm a few years ago, using drawings that the late Roy Jackson had obtained, done by, from memory, Guy Hemingway.

The real vehicle ended up allocated to Retford S & T department in the period of Roy's layout. Many of the door and grab handles had been removed for departmental use and it used to be attached to passenger trains to transport delicate equipment, usually to Peterborough.

2132578602_STVanPainted.jpg.f5799ce24836d005777cbedd4bbee014.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

That is the same vehicle that Alphagrafix have done in 7mm. I scratchbuilt the same one in 4mm a few years ago, using drawings that the late Roy Jackson had obtained, done by, from memory, Guy Hemingway.

The real vehicle ended up allocated to Retford S & T department in the period of Roy's layout. Many of the door and grab handles had been removed for departmental use and it used to be attached to passenger trains to transport delicate equipment, usually to Peterborough.

That looks amazing.  The build is on my thread but it is not in one block as that would be boring.  I have not touched the MSLR carriages for a couple of years, (life has got in the way), but they are coming to the top of the list again.

(Thank you Richard, I shall retire quietly now, and leave this thread to your excellent build.)

3 hours ago, gr.king said:

A couple of pins the right distance apart in a piece of board would serve as a simple jig to allow you to fold up as many grab handles as you could ever need from some nice thin brass wire. I sometimes find that a strip of staples of the right size lurks in my stationery cupboard too, and they can look okay when painted.

This is a great idea. It only works if I have drilled the holes all the same distance apart. I hope to, but there is always a cat’s whiskers difference between them. I was also trying to keep them flat rather than round as I feel that will be easier to clean the paint off once at that stage.

4 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

That looks amazing.  The build is on my thread but it is not in one block as that would be boring.  I have not touched the MSLR carriages for a couple of years, (life has got in the way), but they are coming to the top of the list again.

(Thank you Richard, I shall retire quietly now, and leave this thread to your excellent build.)

kind words, but really only me bumbling along trying to get the carriages I want for the era I want. It would have been so much easier if I had picked the 1950s. Please do not feel that you are dragging the thread off. Anything, GCR or how to build/ paint/ weather models is all useful here. I have enjoyed seeing your silhouette builds progress on your thread. If I could cad draw it might be something for me. Then it might be chicken and egg. If I had a silhouette cutter it would spur me to learn to draw more in cad.

richard

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Great model Tony,

I too have a bedders print to turn into that carriage, (in its prime), it is in the to do pile. 12 carriages this year built or almost built. There are about another 24 I want to build including parcel stock etc. so at this rate another 2 or 3 years. That is if I do not build any locos or wagons. Valour is not going to build herself.

i always enjoy seeing your models, thank you.

richard 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2