Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Taking advice from here I tried turning up the vents. 2mm wide by 3mm long. You might just be able to make out the bumps from the different cuts. 
EEF13B27-DD65-4AB5-8C2E-788748E20BBC.jpeg.f488560ec88a9267b6f716dd5a6d0d72.jpeg

the circle it is on is about an inch and a half diameter. It also shows I should clean my coaster more often.

failure rate was quite high, either they pinged off when I cut too deep or the discs were too wide. So about ten made gives three ok ones. It is though about 10p worth of plastic rod and my time so much cheaper than buying bespoke ones ( if they even exist) sorry traders. 
jim I will follow up on your advice once these are fitted. 
richard 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Transfers time

3A85E84E-2552-43A2-8AB0-B3C8D82A3DC3.jpeg.dd77f13a05e256b84af34a6425659cdc.jpeg

but which size? Small are 3.5mm large are 5 mm and the panel side is 6mm.

the photo seems to suggest they almost fill the panel, so the large ones. I only doubt myself because in my head when I started the build I imagined it would be the small ones. 
oh and in other news the roofs are now painted. Pictures to follow. 
richard

• Like 3

Measuring the top one  magnified it comes out at 24mm is the panel so divide by 4

crest is 16mm so divide by 4 is 4mm  

this leaves us no closer as it is halfway between What I measured but neared small.

But in this picture looks like the bigger ones. I wish I had true dimensions. 

however leave the picture small it is 6mm and crest looks to be 5 mm
thoughts?

richard 

Edited by richard i

Pictures as promised 

48824287-6B5E-40E7-86DB-A2A78F0BF899.jpeg.9897be2a012e896e99c27adf2e40395b.jpeg
5A22FE7A-E401-4C1A-82B4-1D5F976127F8.jpeg.4bfff10ead5eb788875bf5174ac463ab.jpeg

C8C0EF64-4793-48F4-818D-4B775503EAE7.jpeg.28a7c9b8f0768513bd2ecaefe8946b21.jpeg

The first and third, then the brake first taking centre stage and lastly the buffet to the fore. The d&s third lurking in the background.

Fit the windows and transfers to complete. At Times I did not think they would get this far. 
it is good to see them finally coming together. 
richard  

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

Comparing how much of the height of the brown part of panel the crest takes up, I'll make the unhelpful observation it seems to be somewhere between the two sizes, but closer to the larger one. Have you tried correcting the photo for perspective? 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Looking good, Richard.  Did you get on OK brush painting the roofs?  Can't help with the transfer size - 'funny foreign company' for me!   :lol:

Jim

Roofs went ok, mixture of rattle can after masking and touch up with brush painting. The rattle can gave more trouble, but result looks a little like the covering roofs got so not unhappy. 

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

How does the width of the transfers compare to the numbers that are above them?

that’s a good question, i have done more measurements and am erring on the larger size. 

22 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Comparing how much of the height of the brown part of panel the crest takes up, I'll make the unhelpful observation it seems to be somewhere between the two sizes, but closer to the larger one. Have you tried correcting the photo for perspective? 

Thanks for the link, as said above the larger size look more likely.

however where to place them? Photos and drawings conflict. 
here is my evidence so far. I will start with the more clear evidenced ones and then look for more proof of the others.

E6CFC5F9-AFA8-42E6-B946-D4338C41C404.jpeg.cbad8518b2a99c8760830226a7e041ee.jpeg
6AEF86EE-D0D4-4ECA-8EA8-821D13E611D7.jpeg.84912b7b3860c8426019dc913b04d115.jpeg

enough question marks here to be getting on with. 
richard

• Like 1

When photos and drawings conflict, which is not uncommon, then it's best to go with the photos.  Drawings weren't always followed to the last detail, whereas photos show how that vehicle (and probably others) actually was.

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Manxman1831 said:

Personally, I think the 3.5mm high crests are the way to go.  Certainly going off the comparison shot at the top.  The 5mm ones look a little on the large side.  Will you be going with the gold(?) lining for your collection?

That was my initial personal leaning too. But the white is obvious and so looks to be the whole badge. If you add in the wings of the loco and the scroll below it makes the other look like it might be closer to the measurements. I think as these are loco crests that the answer is as pointed out, somewhere in between.

richard 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manxman1831 said:

Thinking on with the question of the crests, have you tried Quainton Road Models?  The gent in charge used to have the full transfer sheet for rolling stock - full class designations, vehicle types and crests - in 4mm.  They do occasionally turn up on EBay.

I have some, it is hard to see when attached to the backing sheet and I do not get on well with them so prefer fox when available. Unless someone has a simple idiots guide to putting them on.

richard 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Measurements continue.

the large loco crest is 14inches in real life. So it is 0.3mm short of 5mm in 4mm scale. I am presuming the same transfer would be used, as the measurements seem close to that, though going back that far it might be more likely to be a hand painted crest. Would they use cut out templates for the base colours and to get the shape consistent? 
I am going big, and will start applying them to the ones I am sure of from a photo first, so some will get both sides done quickly, others one and others still, languishing at the back waiting for “ that” elusive photo to show up.

richard 

• Like 2

I give up. It looks like some were fairly consistent in how many crests, but the brake third has photos of the same side with three, Two or one crest, with two in different positions. That’s before we get started on the fact that sometimes the middle panels were painted brown. 
I am go to plump with the clearest picture and then publish and accept the brick bats thrown. 
richard 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, richard i said:

I give up. It looks like some were fairly consistent in how many crests, but the brake third has photos of the same side with three, Two or one crest, with two in different positions. That’s before we get started on the fact that sometimes the middle panels were painted brown. 
I am go to plump with the clearest picture and then publish and accept the brick bats thrown. 
richard 

They did it deliberately, just to annoy you!   I would do as you say, unless you want to build enough brake thirds to cover all possibilities.  It is just possible that they made it up as they went along, and took less care than you have done.  Whatever happens they do look good and appear to have been worth all the effort.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

As I said earlier, if you can make out the number on the photograph, copy that arrangement and give your coach that number.  Then you know you are correct and nobody can argue with you!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

As I said earlier, if you can make out the number on the photograph, copy that arrangement and give your coach that number.  Then you know you are correct and nobody can argue with you!

Jim

I agree, plus how many can truly say it is wrong. There will be one or two, I know. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With so much variation in real life, I'd go with the layout that gives the most consistent overall look to the rake as you are modelling the train in its entirety.

Edited by Bedders
rogue apostrophe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have asked on wright writes too as it has a wider audience but help accepted here too. I am not getting on with these transfers. The water slide are old and break apart when lifted off the backing. The pressfix do not come away from the paper so you can see exactly where they need to line up. The writing on the paper does not exactly match the transfer. What do people paint on to save old transfers? What is the solution to the press fix ones?

4F7183B6-639E-42C3-9E46-C1F3AA141900.jpeg.582ee737f106ef94874cc51157eba285.jpeg

many thanks richard 

• Friendly/supportive 1