Dettingen GCR might have been layout

• RMweb Gold

I am fairly certain that @Compound2632 knows as I am certain that he put something about it on his wagon thread.  (In the first thirty pages of D229 appreciation thread).

EDIT:  I was wrong, it was @Andy Hayter on Compound's thread, here is the link.  Apparently you treat the Presfix as Methfix.  Nothing at that point about the others.

Edited by ChrisN
added link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How old are the Pressfix transfers.  Certainly, whenever I've watched my dad doing them (and apart from one odd sheet in my own use) the transfer itself is usually printed on a thin sheet, that will lift away from the main backing paper - a sharp knife inserted between the carrier and the backer is all I tend to use.  A headtorch (in my own case attached to a magnifier) is usually enough to allow some degree of accurate placing - light shines through the paper, showing the silhouette of the transfer for placing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

47 minutes ago, Manxman1831 said:

How old are the Pressfix transfers.  Certainly, whenever I've watched my dad doing them (and apart from one odd sheet in my own use) the transfer itself is usually printed on a thin sheet, that will lift away from the main backing paper - a sharp knife inserted between the carrier and the backer is all I tend to use.  A headtorch (in my own case attached to a magnifier) is usually enough to allow some degree of accurate placing - light shines through the paper, showing the silhouette of the transfer for placing.

Alas there does not seem to be a carrier film. Most strange, that’s what making me get stuck. 
richard 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

If there really is no facility for separating a reasonably thin and translucent carrier film from the more substantial opaque support sheet, then in my opinion the transfers cannot be used reliably in accordance with the original PC / HMRS instructions, may not count as "fit for purpose", and cannot be worth the money. 

Positioning by means of "best efforts" accurate hand-cutting around the design, followed by blind dead-reckoning to position the item on the model, is never going to be as certain as the "monitored positioning" that is possible if you can see through a carrier film.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Manxman1831 said:

the transfer itself is usually printed on a thin sheet, that will lift away from the main backing paper - a sharp knife inserted between the carrier and the backer is all I tend to use.  

I've never had any Pressfix that weren't like this, whether bought 3 years ago or 33 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I've never had any Pressfix that weren't like this, whether bought 3 years ago or 33 years ago.

Same here, and some of mine are somewhat older than 33 years!

I also have no problem with removing them with the merest hint of backing paper.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a couple of observations:

1.  When did HMRS ever do GCR crests?

2.  The post on 19th Feb from Richard clearly shows that he is using Fox transfers.

I think we have been drawn down the wrong path by the use of the word Pressfix

• Like 2

Thanks for all the thoughts. Andy is right fox transfers for the crests, but the others are not water slide, they seem some sort of rub down style. I tried a first label like that and it adheres well, just a devil to position as Mr King has pointed out. So I do not think it is pressfix as we know it as most have been pointing out. I wondered if anyone else had had to fight with them before. 
Also has anyone got a clear shot of the compartment side of the full first in either of these liveries as that is proving elusive for working out the positioning of the mid level detail. ( numbers/ name etc.) 

many thanks for all your thoughts

richard 

• Like 2

Almost all numbers fitted. Some had up to three a side. Most individually fitted. Though I did fit a 21 upside down to give me 12 though I challenge anyone to spot which it is.

2CD40D8E-7BE9-41A7-AB82-7FFC3ABBDCC2.jpeg.4f3199a4e691d778ba4c726657fb3c6e.jpeg

still can’t work out the first.

9CCCE50E-F48C-428E-9961-B73AF1930505.jpeg.38b6920acbb71d03bebe0e0a69ab4391.jpeg

it does not have the odd number of spaces like the third which makes one gcr transfer in the middle logical and simple. 
D1AC233B-7294-4ADC-9528-51E28FE47EC7.jpeg.decf562f3cd15c15c42ca071c2987e69.jpeg

numbers on the outside with two gcr next to each other or alternate numbers and gcr branding? 
ideas welcomed

richard

• Like 9

Hi Richard, just been looking at Google for "GCR Parker coaches" images and stumbled on pictures from the Steve Banks collection.  One image that only helps for the corridor side is of a 4-coach train with a 11A at the head, BTK-TK-FK-BFK.  It shows the positioning of the crests.  Blowing the image up, I can spot the running numbers above the crests, what appears to be the company name in the long panel below the large windows.  I've taken the liberty of slotting the image in below for you to blow up on your computer so you can see what I mean.

11a_872_swb_1200_800_72s.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Done a little more perusing of blown up photos from Mr Banks' collection, in particular one showing 11B at the head of a 6-coach train.  My educated guess is that the crests on the compartment side go on the plain panels between the doors - the corridor first only has two on that side (going off the smudges on the B&W photo), but it is hard to tell as it is the fourth coach back.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Manxman1831 said:

Done a little more perusing of blown up photos from Mr Banks' collection, in particular one showing 11B at the head of a 6-coach train.  My educated guess is that the crests on the compartment side go on the plain panels between the doors - the corridor first only has two on that side (going off the smudges on the B&W photo), but it is hard to tell as it is the fourth coach back.

Thanks I have been playing with these too and like you have found that any of the other side are of the carriages of interest have them far back in the formation. I am reaching the point of making a decision based on best guess. 
in better news the others have had their transfers. From four different manufacturers just to get all the right ones. Plus some great advice about transfer restorer from John. 
E9D7BBF1-7F57-4446-B8E2-708E615F40CD.jpeg.64cf8cbba0f057581acd82e492bf72b4.jpeg
8EA3855D-1EB6-4F5E-BCFD-EB60B07C7084.jpeg.bb0c5bf27b025a813576bf1da66f9968.jpeg

09ECCCC3-A263-4D3A-849E-46B2BBDC615E.jpeg.fdbd7d4aa74ec7845a40ff3537db0834.jpeg

464ACD19-2DF3-41ED-8083-CD76B36C3DB4.jpeg.c3f6ee63295f8b9b33e5b7086c3df467.jpeg

including the buffet carriage with all the correct labeling, except for one “kitchen” transfer in gold for the door I can’t track one down. 
richard 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

Quick quiz. Gcr tail lamps’ bodies. Red, black or white?

I know the lenses are red but were the tail lamps like the side lamps on the brakes? Or black like loco lamps, but that makes them harder to see for the signalmen. Or white so easily visible like br era tail lamps? 
only images I can find on line are auctions of hand lamps which are balk bodied. 
many thanks

richard. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

The last side done.

9DFCE221-6B2C-418C-A5EC-32749E68506C.jpeg.d663f84e524651713002b011d0f0a1c6.jpeg

thanks to the help and advice of JQ. This is the best guess of the layout as no known clear picture of this side.....unless you know differently. 
now I have committed a clear photo is bound to show up.

richard 

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

7 hours ago, AVS1998 said:

Hello all, I just wanted to chime in and say I've been watching this thread with great interest.

Richard, it's been really useful reading your coach construction techniques, it's given me some ideas of how to approach some brass kits I have myself. I'm still not entirely confident with the medium, but I'm getting there!

I just wanted to ask quickly, seeing as this seems to be 'the place' where GCR knowledge is abound, does anyone have any further information on GCR excursion stock? I've managed to piece together a vague idea of what may have been used during a particular period (1905-7, 1910+), but I've not got anything concrete. The implication of twelve-wheel dining cars from circa 1906 particularly interested me, as they were constructed at the beginning of the matchboard period but apparently still followed Parker practice. 

I can't wait to see more developments, it's definitely motivation to get back to my own modelling.

Thanks!

Alex

Thank you for you kind words.

there are photos of excursions run by the GCR to Plymouth and they ran elsewhere. There were twelve wheel diners from earlier too which were joint stock so traveled further around. I have not looked specifically at long distance excursion stock to see exactly what was in the train consist. However, pictures of local excursions from the northern heartland to the coast for instance had anything which could turn a wheel in their rake. There are a few photos of a series of boots excursions from the midlands in the early twenties (I think) which used match board stock. I do not think there was special narrower excursion stock built. However, I would need to look further to give a more accurate/ concrete answer.

richard 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Little things make a huge difference. 
the lamps go on.

F9190552-13FE-47D2-8484-E17ADE3D215C.jpeg.0c84dc14d27be03d2857c4c750bdf00d.jpeg
91113F88-9700-403B-B621-02B18783EBFF.jpeg.a07895c609e44222944b7bf530d9e9e5.jpeg

then JQ kindly offered me these etches for the loo windows. 
9799749C-69EA-4EAC-8D6F-A555F584A711.jpeg.00ea1ead5a1dc00c1b6b1c398b1151ae.jpeg

such kindness will make such a difference to the model. In ordinary life it might surprise me, but I have found modelers to be such a supportive bunch which makes it such a great place to be. So thanks to JQ and all others who have added any support or advice in these builds or other previous ones.

richard 

• Like 13

Am I missing something? Below the left hand crest.

either I am blind and miss sections which do not cover the primer or the primer some how bleeds through the top coat.

6821A678-5B79-422B-BFF9-9014CE7D7C98.jpeg.99c6197e61eafdbf323f007c5e2a88c2.jpeg

this is not the only one which has required remedial action. After I notice each one I check all the others and do not spot anything. Then later, this. I cannot imagine I would have fitted the transfer before addressing this if it had been there all along, or am I really that blind?

richard 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, richard i said:

Am I missing something? Below the left hand crest.

either I am blind and miss sections which do not cover the primer or the primer some how bleeds through the top coat.

6821A678-5B79-422B-BFF9-9014CE7D7C98.jpeg.99c6197e61eafdbf323f007c5e2a88c2.jpeg

this is not the only one which has required remedial action. After I notice each one I check all the others and do not spot anything. Then later, this. I cannot imagine I would have fitted the transfer before addressing this if it had been there all along, or am I really that blind?

richard 

Hi ricahrd

As our late friend Pete would say "I don't mean to criticise but...."

I wouldn't think it is the primer bleeding through. I know I can blunder along with a model and not realise an error until quite a few stages later despite it being all to obvious.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Richard

Have you varnished the coaches yet?  What I see in the picture could be varnish blooming.

No varnish yet. So it can’t be that, which led me down my train of thought.

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi ricahrd

As our late friend Pete would say "I don't mean to criticise but...."

I wouldn't think it is the primer bleeding through. I know I can blunder along with a model and not realise an error until quite a few stages later despite it being all to obvious.

that’s why I am prepared to concede that I am getting blind. Well in the right eye now. We know the left one has been a write off for years. 
richard 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4