Dettingen GCR might have been layout

But is that the point? If an original round topped boiler lasted that long, then it is worth considering that an early Belpaire without shoulder blisters may also have lasted, so long as it hadn't been killed by build up of scale.

Edited by gr.king
Inserted missing word
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gr.king said:

But is that the point? If an original round topped boiler lasted that long, then it is worth considering that an early Belpaire without shoulder blisters may also have lasted, so long as it hadn't been killed by build up scale.

Photo of one found, everything is correct for how I have modeled the loco…………except the type of safety valves. Ahhhhh. 
I am going to try and make them. It won’t damage the model to try and if they do not work I can look at changing the safety valves as a plan B.

richard 

• Like 1

There has been more done but little to show for it.

I have taken a mould off the Bachman d11. Other options had such an indistinct blob it would be pointless taking a mould. I could do it with a blob of putty.

CE50F5AB-2C85-4C57-960F-C50491FABFAD.jpeg.520cd5aef2960a49896ea3f220a3139e.jpeg

Also visible is the new reversing lever.
D6968A79-A856-462E-A0D1-E4840FA24074.jpeg.23b91ef2bfd437999054ecbcc9d5e5a3.jpeg

almost there. …….lost the top lamp bracket. Do I plug an almost invisible hole in front of the side tanks? Fir two small grab handles?  Two steps forward one back.
richard

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, richard i said:

almost there. …….lost the top lamp bracket. Do I plug an almost invisible hole in front of the side tanks? Fir two small grab handles?  Two steps forward one back.
richard

Richard,

When you paint it the hole will disappear.  I cannot see it now anyway.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Richard,

When you paint it the hole will disappear.  I cannot see it now anyway.

I think so too, but I will know it is there. Similarly most will not notice the missing grab handles, but will I?

richard 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Even though I had used a suitable curved top to close the mould, I still needed to file the backs of the blisters that I cast so that they were all sufficiently thin and even around the edges. Are the D11 type small enough?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I made some covers once by getting a brass rod of the right diameter and filing a curved end with a dimple on it. I then put some thin metal sheet on a lump of lead and tapped the brass rod into it with a small hammer.

I then soldered the sheet to the end of the rod, which allowed the cover to be cut and filed to give it a nice round shape, using the rod as a guide.

They were then unsoldered and could then be either soldered or glued onto the firebox.

It wasn't a very quick way to do them but once the brass rod was filed to shape, each individual cover didn't take long and they looked the part.

• Like 1

Are the D11 small enough? Probably not. However they stand out more as they are green on silver. They could be a smidge smaller but I would rather the correct shape and a little large than right size but look nothing like it. 
I have saved a few extras in case I need to do this again. 
Tony, I am sure your way gives a good result. This was quieter than all the hammering and SHMBO has had a headache for the last couple of days. 

I think it is finished

92D996C3-BF85-4680-BC67-6F61223D0599.jpeg.019257085a834fe118aa69d35bbc5d22.jpeg

cab handrails fitted. Grab handles above the steps. ( cost me three drill bits for 4 holes) the gaps in the running plate filled. 
clean up and spray paint. Need some good weather. 
richard

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, James Harrison said:

Is the original chimney staying? Just curious whether you have a cunning plan to reprofile it or something.

Probably. It looks similar to me and looks at most 2mm short. The dome is not quite the right height. The relationship between the dome and chimney looks about right. Change the chimney and the dome needs to change.

2mm can be lived with if it looks about right. I have run carriages with 2mm too short bogie wheelbases. 8’ not 8’6” . No one noticed/ commented. 
besides I would rather a wrong chimney that looks good than a lengthened one where the join is obvious. It looks part of the smoke box casting which makes it harder to turn and smooth at this point/ remove totally and replace.

hope that rambling make some sense.

richard 

• Like 3

Hi,

Here's my second attempt at videoing Richard's wonderful scratch built GC coaches. This week we have the full rake of 5  French grey and brown coaches. Richard didn't have room in his carrying case for the two chocolate and cream(?) coaches which we filmed last time. Both coaches and track have been tweeked since the last session and everything ran much better. The videoing is still not great but hopefully an improvement on last time and amazing considering it is filmed on my smart phone camera.

Next week Richard has said he will bring some goods stock with an appropriate loco so watch this space.....

Keith

Edited by Keith Turbutt
changed 'this time' to 'this week'
  • Like 8

Hi Regularity,

Yes,sorry about that. I discovered that I had uploaded more than one copy to YouTube but deleted the wrong one! Hopefully I have added the correct link to my post now.

I'll get the hang of it one day.

Hope you enjoy the video.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi,

Here's my second attempt at videoing Richard's wonderful scratch built GC coaches. This week we have the full rake of 5  French grey and brown coaches. Richard didn't have room in his carrying case for the two chocolate and cream(?) coaches which we filmed last time. Both coaches and track have been tweeked since the last session and everything ran much better. The videoing is still not great but hopefully an improvement on last time and amazing considering it is filmed on my smart phone camera.

Next week Richard has said he will bring some goods stock with an appropriate loco so watch this space.....

Keith

Ah a Monday night...I still miss them.

Glad to see Richard driving the train, I was wondering how you all would do without "Spider can you drive the train?"

2 hours ago, Keith Turbutt said:

Hi,

Keith

Thanks for these. They look great and it shows that even when I thought I was driving slowly, it still looks faster than you think.

to clarify, sides and ends from worsley works and front one d&s. Most bogies kits from d&s but had to make one. Bits from gcrs or made up. So not a kit but…….

some of the wagons will be genuine scratch builds. 
richard

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have found the holy grail. Photo of the only 9n. (A5) to appear in gcr livery and with side window cab. 
B123EB30-FBCF-43EC-AD10-6D2BA5B3002D.jpeg.8ad20aa464ef71b8d5c41a14e838dcbb.jpeg

I knew the loco existed but not combination of boiler fittings. Is this really the only image?

I have seen sonic’s announcement. I am not sure about the lining on the side window cab version in front of the windows. Need to see if that is correctly done. 
richard 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah a Monday night...I still miss them.

Glad to see Richard driving the train, I was wondering how you all would do without "Spider can you drive the train?"

I was not given a chair until I had driven properly. Hence standing in the video. Not sure who is in the video. I feel much younger than that. 
richard 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Loco paint on.

F97FEBDB-27BC-4C09-A82E-05CD26BE07A3.jpeg.28f9de6ddb65787133e18241a0c5076c.jpeg

actually it started grey primer then green and I was going to mask the green then line the black line which is 0.7mm wide. 
the green looked too light , but close. So thought I would spray black and then mask followed by the green. 
let’s see if that works. There is far more which needs masking than I really thought. 
richard 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here goes nothing

A4D309E5-7C54-4B09-9296-515ED5D47AF6.jpeg.d5f56c926df683cbee1bfb9201e95c10.jpeg

It is amazing how little is actually green on this loco.

in theory tape comes off and white lines added. Also need to do the Indian red sections too. 
if this does not work then plan C

plan D is hand painting the lot.

richard 

• Like 7