Dettingen GCR might have been layout

The Colonies ?? Where abouts ...I moved there 22 years ago just digging g my stuff out and fiddling about setting up a joint GWR / SR line ...

Pennsylvania, about an hour from philly, we moved out a couple of years ago.

On the subject of carriage liveries; I'm sure most people have seen this footage before, but I found it again on youtube today.  Around the 2:30 mark we see a GC express hauled by one of the named Jersey Lillies.  Despite being shot in 1910 most of the carriages are still in the brown and cream livery. 

• Like 5

Hi Richard

Your pace of modelling has slowed down since you stopped coming down the club on a Monday. They do look cute.

My pace has slowed as spring is very busy for me, teaching, coaching track and running the dorm, progress has be made....slowly...on a horse box maybe spider you could move the wife's nag in it.

I will post pics pre paint of the kit once it is at the primer stage.

Richard

On the subject of carriage liveries; I'm sure most people have seen this footage before, but I found it again on youtube today.  Around the 2:30 mark we see a GC express hauled by one of the named Jersey Lillies.  Despite being shot in 1910 most of the carriages are still in the brown and cream livery. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUi83iVPOAs

I had not seen this thanks, it is great for senic details too.

It looks like two of the coaches are teak so what is the painting cycle for carriages? Every five years? So would the last brown and cream go in 1913ish?

Richard

• Like 1

Well, I hadn't, so I for one am grateful you posted it.  Wonderful film.  Wonderful GC train.  

• Like 1

Definitely a summer Saturday train. It's made up of:

3 car  clerestory set

A six wheeled saloon

A 5 car London suburban set, possibly with the final brake a clerestory

A six wheeled third

A London suburban third.

Sounds to me like them getting hold of any available carriage to make up the numbers

Progress of sorts

Ready for the paint shop, a first and third four wheeler pair and a horse box.

post-23520-0-43239800-1463933297_thumb.jpg

Now when will the rain stop?

Interestingly looking on the web it seems the non bogie stock in French grey carried this round the ends, or is that just on the brake carriages?

I have found a usa supplier of a French grey paint which looks like what I imagine it is from the black and white photos from the time. We will have to see once the carriages are painted up.

Richard

• Like 4

A little progress on the horse box.

post-23520-0-02477400-1464297934_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-47052800-1464297948_thumb.jpg

Both sides as they are slightly different.

Ignore the roof, it is only placed on and needs spraying white before weathering.

The carriages are taking longer, I think they would have had a dark end but black or brown is holding me up

Richard

• Like 8

Brown, the solebars were brown too. See this photo for the brake ends

Thanks, I had seen that photo, it is interesting as that is the one which convinced me that it was brown bottom half and grey top half. It just goes to show how the eyes play tricks on me.

Painting can recommence.

Richard

Slooooooooow progress on the painting.

The French grey looks about right to my eye but with only black and white photos to go from, who knows?

post-23520-0-35896200-1464873848_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-89862100-1464873860_thumb.jpg

It needs touching up and the transfers and glass always bring it to life.

I have just received a parcel from bill....thank you for the speedy delivery, I can now complete the other three coaches in the set.

Richard

• Like 7

And whilst the paint on the roof dries I knocked up this GCR 2 plank

post-23520-0-63137000-1465215440_thumb.jpg

This one should be easy to paint - grey

It also went together really easily.

I only received it from bill a week or so ago. Is that a record for arrived to built? I know I have others which will win the longest time before being built.

Richard

Another progress report on carriages once they are glazed .

• Like 6

Anything not to glaze a carriage. 40 indervidually cut pieces for the two 4 wheelers, but then I insist on the windows being open different amounts.

The wagon is painted and wheeled.

Just needs transfers and the load added. This will be clay pipes courtesy of the lumi sticks you get for children. It is the joiners so they become a loop. Once painted they should look good. I just need the blond hair of some kind donator to use as the straw packing. How to ask for hair without looking weird?post-23520-0-08364900-1465477423_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Finally the first glazing is done. Both first in time and first class.

post-23520-0-31482800-1465559789_thumb.jpg

Next the third class coach, more pieces for that ...... Might be why I did the first first.

Then transfers. I am intending to do the horsebox, 2 plank and carriages at the same time.

Will they get done before the trip to the UK? Probably not, so that will happen in July then.

Richard

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Progress whilst away from the layout.

The road van which the GCR took on from ex war department stock.

post-23520-0-77895600-1467725727_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-51859400-1467725745_thumb.jpg

I have decided to livery in GC rather than wd as the debate is still open on the livery they carried, however, as loco and brake should be the same and I don't have a wd loco it is in gc livery.

It will be on the back end of the exhibition train of whippet tanks and areroplane to tour the country.

Need to make the lomac as almost the last part of the train.

Richard.

• Like 4

I don't think the GCR had any of these vans. Certainly they are not in the 1923 diagram book. However both the MET and the GER did have some.

The book of words say they did have them. So I was going off that. If it is not right then maya culpa. Elsewhere it has been discussed they were on loan so not taken in to stock book. Would that fit?

• Like 1

Which book?

Shirebrooks web page. As a historian I should really check their research, but in this instance I took it in good faith that the statement was accurate. For one, the companies which had them were listed rather than a general statement of how some pregrouping companies used them. Why would a company be listed if they did not use them as it would be easier to not list companies than falsely include them. In support was also a discussion on one of the threads on here discussing if they were repainted or kept in wd livery.

Be it true or not, it has gained enough traction with people and it is very hard to prove a negative, I.e. That they definitively were not used. Perhaps still in wd ownership and had running rights or loaned to the GCR but never taken into capital stock.

I am open to any proof one way or the other. I will be repainting the signal slightly as more infomation has come to light. So any advice happily received.

Richard

• Like 2

When I was building my road van about 6 or 7 months back, the information that came to light here suggested that any of them which did run on GC metals *probably* did so in WD marking, which is how I ultimately finished mine. 

On the one hand there was a photograph in an old copy of 'Forward' alluded to showing one of them running on the GC post-Grouping, on the other hand these vans don't get a mention in the GC section of Tatlow's wagon book, nor do they appear in the GC diagram book. 

On that basis I finished mine in WD markings, however I didn't find any source that categorically stated they didn't appear in GC livery.  Bearing in mind the state of organised chaos the railways were in between 1918 and 1923, firstly with recovering from the Great War and then with the Grouping hanging over them, I think this is probably one of those things we'll never be able to fully answer and lies firmly in 'educated best guess' territory.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model. 

• Like 2

Richard, you may be interested to know that in the latest MRJ it is announced that Brassmasters have wheeled out several of the former R&E GCR wagon kits again. Another potential source of models for you. One of the more interesting is the bogie brake van, originally intended (I believe) for fish trains and excursions. The standard D17 van is also among them.