Dettingen GCR might have been layout

That is good to know.  Thank you. I have a photo (Tatlow book!) and a drawing with dimensions for the Mac K.  It had struck me that the Dapol Lowmac was perhaps close enough to form the basis of a conversion, but I had not acquired the kit and checked against the drawing.

And that's where you tell us it is way off in every dimension.

• Like 1

The idea of another cheap wagon has got me tempted now! Here's a drawing I've found. Are there any photos in GER livery online?

http://www.2mm.org.uk/products/instruction_sheets/pdf2-591.pdf

And here is a model built from one of these kits.  The pantechnicon is from Shire Scenes and is in a totally fictitious livery.

post-25077-0-79821400-1470079588_thumb.jpg

Jim

• Like 3

And here is a model built from one of these kits.  The pantechnicon is from Shire Scenes and is in a totally fictitious livery.

attachicon.gifPantecnican.jpg

Jim

Thanks Jim. As it would be a visitor to the West Country I don't have the Tatlow book, which is why I was hoping for a photo online, but that livery looks quite straightforward. Is that how it would have looked in 1905?

Thanks Jim. As it would be a visitor to the West Country I don't have the Tatlow book, which is why I was hoping for a photo online, but that livery looks quite straightforward. Is that how it would have looked in 1905?

I would assume so.  I can't now recall where I got the livery details.   My period spans 1885-1915, but I'm quite comfortable with temporal anomalies (of which I have several)!   :onthequiet:

Jim

The wagon progress is slow.

post-23520-0-97435200-1470101982_thumb.jpg

Up to transfers, one lomac in GCR ex LDEC stock as they were close enough for the 3foot rule the other will be in GER lettering.

The Cambrian wagon needs lettering and covering in a tarp.

Hand painting has been suggested as is it worth getting transfers for one wagon?

The road van, might just stay in WD livery to avoid offending the purists. But that will wait until I have those transfers from wd models.

Richard

• Like 1

Had a go at at hand painting the lettering on the Cambrian wagon.

Tried to use a bowpen for the first time.

First side

post-23520-0-73091700-1470184330_thumb.jpg

Then second side

post-23520-0-73321000-1470184383_thumb.jpg

I think it improved, but clearly a lot more practice is needed to make a really presentable job, I most likely will cover most of this with a tarpaulin to hide the worst of these sins.

Advice on improved ways of doing this?

Richard

• Like 3

More progress on the free style lettering.

post-23520-0-62480700-1470321174_thumb.jpg

The letters have been cleaned up, the pencil marks rubbed out and a little embellishment to the three feathers in the middle. Not sure how much the would have got in real life but I can not find a photo of a Cambrian wagon in Cambrian livery on the net which is not a model.

I don't think I will give up the day job just yet but it has certainly given me food for thought on how to get the one off companies' liveries in my collection .

Richard

• Like 3

Have you tried using a fine brush, preferably sable, 000 size, painting with acrylics?  Keep the brush moist, but not wet, only have a little paint on the tip of the brush and clean it regularly in water, blotting the brush after each time.  Don't try and do any more than a small part of a letter at a time.   That's what I use.  Results in my 'Caledonian Wagons' thread.

Jim

Does this get us any further on the secr road vans in GCR service?

Very kindly had a reply

post-23520-0-27840500-1470333759_thumb.jpg

Strangely had to do it as a photo as rmweb would not let me paste in from an email.

Does anyone have the book, can we go anywhere from here?

Richard

Advice, for the metal sided 30ton coal wagon, internally did it have a wooden floor or all metal construction?

It looks very grey at the moment it feels it needs colour, if it is all metal then some judicious weathering may be needed.

Ideas?

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Strangely had to do it as a photo as rmweb would not let me paste in from an email.

Richard

I have the same problem Richard and it seems to be a "feature" (= bug for a user) of this site.

The solution is to click on the "BBC Mode" button - top left above the Bold button.  Paste then works.  Then click on the BBC button again (not sure this is necessary) and continue.

A real PITA = feature.

• RMweb Premium

Advice, for the metal sided 30ton coal wagon, internally did it have a wooden floor or all metal construction?

It looks very grey at the moment it feels it needs colour, if it is all metal then some judicious weathering may be needed.

Ideas?

Richard

Hi Richard

The b'day wagon looks good.

As for the box on bogies, how about running it loaded. Then there is no need to worry about what the floor looks like and it will stop the sides from bowing.

• RMweb Premium

First side

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Then second side

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I think it improved, but clearly a lot more practice is needed to make a really presentable job, I most likely will cover most of this with a tarpaulin to hide the worst of these sins.

Richard

Hi Richard

Go gently doing a little each time.

Lurking in the background of some of the photos of Hanging Hill is a ex PO wagon that I hand lettered. When it was done I then painted on the replacement planks etc.

Hi Richard

The b'day wagon looks good.

As for the box on bogies, how about running it loaded. Then there is no need to worry about what the floor looks like and it will stop the sides from bowing.

I had thought about loading it up, but I have more loaded coals than unloaded. The other issue which would sway it towards being loaded is that I have not modeled the insides of the doors so it would be that which would push me towards loading it up.

By the way, You cheeky beggar, The sides are not bowed, that is the camera doing a fish bowl on the wagon. And we'll you would know this to be the case.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I had thought about loading it up, but I have more loaded coals than unloaded. The other issue which would sway it towards being loaded is that I have not modeled the insides of the doors so it would be that which would push me towards loading it up.

By the way, You cheeky beggar, The sides are not bowed, that is the camera doing a fish bowl on the wagon. And we'll you would know this to be the case.

Richard

Hi Richard

With my limited experience of making things in plastic card they can some times bow. It may be the day after you build it, or a week or a month or many many years down the line. And when it does you would have forgotten about calling me "a cheeky begger". :onthequiet:

They had wooden floors. The diagram show a separate floor line above the bottom of the side. The overall height is given as 8'0",  depth over floor 4'2" and rail to top of floor 3'10"

Hi Richard

With my limited experience of making things in plastic card they can some times bow. It may be the day after you build it, or a week or a month or many many years down the line. And when it does you would have forgotten about calling me "a cheeky begger". :onthequiet:

Like an elephant I won't forget and you will have my humble apologies when it does. I only forget things like my wife's birthday and my children in supermarkets. If it does bow I could put a strengthener in disguised as a man holding the sides apart.
  • Like 1

I have found a solution to replicating straw as packing for wagon loads. My old shaving brush. No longer will I need to ask blonde maidens for a lock of their hair.

The results will be seen as a load in the 2 plank wagon which is still in the system.

Richard

• Like 2