Dettingen GCR might have been layout

• 2 weeks later...

Animal diversions.

I told the wife I was off to paint a badger, she thought it was code for some thing unhealthy.

No it really was a badger.

And rabbits, squirrels and hedgehog. There are seven colours on each not that most will notice or the photo show. In fairness the iPad could not focus in enough. They are only 4mm high for most of them.

post-23520-0-47684900-1474216149_thumb.jpg

Richard

• Like 6

Animals in situ.

Not all pictures came out as some are so small and the camera did not know what to focus on.

However these came out.

First the badger, in his set, realistically he could not be out on the layout as it represents day time. So he got a set made underground and a hole dug so he can get out once it gets dark.

post-23520-0-66090600-1474576944_thumb.jpg

And the four rabbits eating are on file which is too big. Must have eaten too much. So no picture

Richard

post-23520-0-95265700-1474577041_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Traction engines being transported from Ransomes' :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imt_image_archive/24206337434/in/album-72157663756160010/

Another load, they look like horse wagons on railway wagons:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/imt_image_archive/24716658692/in/album-72157663756160010/

All on the Great Eastern at Ipswich

I have a similar photo of seven Babcock & Wilcox steam rollers, with and without canopies, arriving on Lowmac-type wagons at Highbridge Wharf, S&DJR, in 1926, They were for local road maintenance firm Buncombes, who were still around, when I lived there in the '60s. The photo is in a collection called  Around Burnham-on-Sea and Highbridge in Old Photographs, by Geoffrey Maslen and Heather Cavell. The rollers seem to be secured with strops. At the front the strop passes behind the mounting for the front roller's pivot and from there loops run down to the machine wagon's buffers. There is a tensioning strop across between the two arms of the main strop. The rear fastenings can't be seen. They could have used the roller's towing hook* and fixing points in the floor of the wagon. The rollers were also chocked. *Rollers used to haul road workers' caravans and water and coal supplies. 

On a completely different subject, I did once photograph a badger out and about in daylight. The country park isn't a zoo, it is working farmland, so this was a wild animal - probably a young one who didn't know it shouldn't be out in the day! post-14351-0-54832900-1474612179_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Animals in situ.

Not all pictures came out as some are so small and the camera did not know what to focus on.

However these came out.

First the badger, in his set, realistically he could not be out on the layout as it represents day time. So he got a set made underground and a hole dug so he can get out once it gets dark.

[attachment=756158:image.jpg

Then the squirrel.

You will have to take my word that there is another one, and a stoat chasing a rabbit.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And the four rabbits eating are on file which is too big. Must have eaten too much. So no picture

Richard

I am sure you will have seen in this month's BRM the article 'Animate your layout wildlife'. Typical! As soon as you model something, something comes along to put it in the shade; in this case Busch and their rotating swans and moles popping out of holes!

• Like 1

I am sure you will have seen in this month's BRM the article 'Animate your layout wildlife'. Typical! As soon as you model something, something comes along to put it in the shade; in this case Busch and their rotating swans and moles popping out of holes!

Pah, nothing to what we have in Barney (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4YggCiDRI0)!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Afraid not, living in the states means the closest place that sells BRM is an hour away and it arrives one to two months late.

Richard

Scale that down to 4mm!

I shall expect to see your church gargoyles fully operational!

On a point of architecture, gargoyles are decorative, if I understand it correctly and grotesque spout water. It is like people say they slide down the banister but in actual fact it is the balustrade as the banister is only the vertical up rights. Sad knowledge but might be useful in a pub quiz some day.

Richard

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

On a point of architecture, gargoyles are decorative, if I understand it correctly and grotesque spout water. It is like people say they slide down the banister but in actual fact it is the balustrade as the banister is only the vertical up rights. Sad knowledge but might be useful in a pub quiz some day.

Richard

Perhaps the American usage is different or maybe architects use a different terminology from general usage, but the Oxford Modern English Dictionary defines gargoyles as a grotesque carved human or animal face....as a spout to carry water clear of a wall. A grotesque is, as a noun, a decorative form interweaving human and animal forms.

It has two definitions for bannister - one includes both the uprights and handrails and the other just the uprights. A balustrade is a railing supported by balusters, esp. forming an ornamental parapet to a balcony, bridge or terrace.

Afraid not, living in the states means the closest place that sells BRM is an hour away and it arrives one to two months late.

Richard

They do a digital issue if there is something you're really interested in.  Not on commission, but if Andy wants to show his gratitude financially... :)

Little progress of late as had to work the weekend.

post-23520-0-36734000-1474846522_thumb.jpg

Just finished the platform barrow from a little white metal kit. It has just been placed down to get a feel of if it looks right resting between duties behind the gents loo.

If it should go back somewhere specific could someone in the know shed light on that? If the GCR never had them let me know too and I will move it to the street scene on the yet to be built corner board.

Richard

• Like 3

I've not done a sufficient study of GC platform trollies to say whether it's right or wrong. Same goes for the trolley paint colours, as with GC road vehicles - in early days the latter were painted in a version of the coach livery, but I'm pretty sure they weren't teak after 1908. 

As to position, the main thing is to be sure they're not placed where they can roll onto the tracks. It did happen in real life (even on the GC), and usually got the porter into hot water, especially if a train ran over them!

• Like 2

If it should go back somewhere specific could someone in the know shed light on that? If the GCR never had them let me know too and I will move it to the street scene on the yet to be built corner board.

I too can't comment on its authenticity, but in most photos I've seen barrows are parked adjacent to the station buildings in order, I presume, that they would be handy for their next use.   To confirm Poggie's point, they are generally positioned parallel to the side of the building, or, if at the end, end on to the building.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a vague recollection of a layout on the exhibition circuit back in the late 60s or early 70s which had rabbits which popped out of holes in an embankment..

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

I have a vague recollection of a layout on the exhibition circuit back in the late 60s or early 70s which had rabbits which popped out of holes in an embankment..

Adrian

I think that would have been Jack Dugdale's Ortogo.  It had rabbits appearing and disappearing and at least one signalman moving levers in his box.

Edited to change most of the post.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3

I think that would have been Jack Dugdale's Ortogo.  It had rabbits appearing and disappearing and at least one signalman moving levers in his box.

Edited to change most of the post.

David

having made rabbits i am terrified at how s,all he would have had to make the mechanism. Though movement might catch the eye, mine blend in.

Richard

thanks for the kind comments on the trolley. i was basing the colour on the ones at roathley today. I agree road transport was brown and cream. I also agree they were unlikely to be put in mock teak, i am open to further opinions, even the practice on other lines.....even the GWR!

Richard

• Like 3