Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Another side project

post-23520-0-81776300-1477255707_thumb.jpg

The plate layers wagons and tools.

Not stuck down yet as undecided about placement. Should the wagons be on off cuts of rail? If any were put out on the railway would I prototypic ally have to run a slower schedule? Would the tools be stored on the wagons? Would the wagons be stored off their wheels?

Just want to get it looking about right if I am honest.

Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 6

Hi Richard,

Having just finished reading this thread from the beginning I wanted to say you have a fantastic railway. Also your work rate is inspiring, more power to you and I look forward to future updates.

That is very kind of you to say, it does not feel quick as it has been 9 years since baseboards were cut and some time in the planning before that.

I still have a number of trains to build. Mostly coaches and locos, but it will get there......or that is the aim.

Richard

• Like 2

If you were running the milk van with your coaches it would definitely be brown. If you were running it with the Director, it would probably be brown, unless you were modelling post WW1. It would only be teak if you were modelling pre 1900.

So grey post ww1 maybe?

Thank you bill for the advice, as I model the London extension pre 1900 is not really an option do it looks like brown it is.

Richard

• Like 1

Have you a prototype for that grain wagon? Offhand I can't suggest anything that would fit the GC, but you can always invent something.

Steel solebars on PO wagons were rare, pre-group, but they definitely existed, so I wouldn't lie awake worrying about that particular issue.

• Like 1

Have you a prototype for that grain wagon? Offhand I can't suggest anything that would fit the GC, but you can always invent something.

Steel solebars on PO wagons were rare, pre-group, but they definitely existed, so I wouldn't lie awake worrying about that particular issue.

No prototype but it was around at the time so open to ideas, I am assuming they moved around the system a bit. Any names or I will go with the one suggested by parkside

Richard

• Like 1

No prototype but it was around at the time so open to ideas, I am assuming they moved around the system a bit. Any names or I will go with the one suggested by parkside

Richard

I note the description of the Parkside kit reads "design dates back to 1903, but the kit features the steel chassis used from the 1920's[sic]".

Generally I have only seen them in "L G W" livery, which were based in Leith.  The builders were Hurst Nelson, a Glasgow builder, though perhaps nothing turns on that, as Cambrian Kits state that HN's sales extended to the South Coast of England.  I'm using one of their opens in Norfolk!

I suspect that the peak-roofed grain wagons might not have been particularly widespread - finding an owner other than LGW seems hard for a start - and I suspect most of the country made do with sacks in ordinary railway company merchandise wagons, box vans if you were lucky!

You could have a fictitious owner.

post-25673-0-16842700-1477504475.jpg

post-25673-0-39491100-1477504573.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Generally I have only seen them in "L G W" livery, which were based in Leith.  The builders were Hurst Nelson, a Glasgow builder, though perhaps nothing turns on that, as Cambrian Kits state that HN's sales extended to the South Coast of England.  I'm using one of their opens in Norfolk!

'LGW' stood for Leith General Warehousing'.  Hurst Nelson and Co were in fact based in Motherwell, south of Glasgow and did indeed build coaches and wagons for all parts of the UK and beyond.  An other builder, based in Wishaw, next to Motherwell, was R Y Pickering, whose products can be identified in photographs by the diamond shaped builders plate.

Jim

• Like 1

I note the description of the Parkside kit reads "design dates back to 1903, but the kit features the steel chassis used from the 1920's[sic]".

I suspect that the peak-roofed grain wagons might not have been particularly widespread - finding an owner other than LGW seems hard for a start - and I suspect most of the country made do with sacks in ordinary railway company merchandise wagons, box vans if you were lucky!

You could have a fictitious owner.

Yes I was going down that route though I copied LGW colour scheme as that was around at the time.

I am pretending it has a wooden under frame, I can tell up close but in a moving train it does not jump out at me. It is like people who notice flat bottom or bullhead rail. Mine is liveries it is strange?/ Indervidual what matters to us what offends one is acceptable to another.

Richard

• Like 1

The next project whilst I wait for snail mail transfers to arrive from the UK

post-23520-0-62039200-1477508423_thumb.jpg

Converting an LNER hopper wagon into a GCR one by over plating the sides and adding t section to the sides and ends, altering the brake gear a little and adding a big brake wheel.

I always fear my ideas of conversions will get more complicated than I imagine. In this case the wheelbase is right, the length, height and internals are spot on. I am hoping to turn these out at the same time as the others.

Richard

• Like 3

Yes I was going down that route though I copied LGW colour scheme as that was around at the time.

I am pretending it has a wooden under frame, I can tell up close but in a moving train it does not jump out at me. It is like people who notice flat bottom or bullhead rail. Mine is liveries it is strange?/ Indervidual what matters to us what offends one is acceptable to another.

Richard

Nile of this parish wanted an old cattle wagon for his freelance line and chose the Bachmann under-length Midland.  This, too, was steel framed, so he simply blanked it off with plastic strip.

• Like 1

My guess is that they would have been used for bulk grain deliveries between Leith docks and various whisky distilleries around Scotland. 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Converting an LNER hopper wagon into a GCR one by over plating the sides and adding t section to the sides and ends, altering the brake gear a little and adding a big brake wheel.

I always fear my ideas of conversions will get more complicated than I imagine. In this case the wheelbase is right, the length, height and internals are spot on. I am hoping to turn these out at the same time as the others.

Richard

Hi Richard

I never knew about the GCR hoppers, how long did they last?

Nile of this parish wanted an old cattle wagon for his freelance line and chose the Bachmann under-length Midland.  This, too, was steel framed, so he simply blanked it off with plastic strip.

I had thought to do this but in the end did not deem it worth the effort for a wagon that as Bill has pointed out is stretching the likelihood of it being in a train in the first place.

Might call it Bell's then. Shorter to spell than glenmorangie.

Richard

• Like 2

Create a new company, "Sottish Whisky Distillers" or similar, and put their initials on the wagon, S W D.

Why 'Sottish'? Didn't know that the Sotts made the water of life too. Anyway, where did the Sotts come from?

Curious of Biggar, Scotland

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Richard

That's an imaginative project; one which (unusually) seems to have passed me by entirely.  I'll be watching with interest. 

Progress so far

post-23520-0-40055700-1477700303_thumb.jpg

It is almost pure dundas at the moment except for the GCR axel boxes the adding has yet to start. I must say it needed a bit of fettling but that might be because of its complex shape.

Also arrived today a train of private owners.

post-23520-0-91736000-1477700482_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-83589600-1477700493_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-58981900-1477700504_thumb.jpg

I am sure that some are post 1923 but at the moment with my level of knowledge it will do. I will make sure as it is empties that it will keep all of one company's wagons together. I will redo the insides to represent old wood and reattach lose brake gear and do the couplings. That should keep me busy once the milk van and hoppers are finished.

Richard

• Like 8