Dettingen GCR might have been layout

These are all in it, so your kit choices are varied, but the best bit of the book are the line drawings for the special wagons, which have such simple lines which cry out to be scratch built. I have made a start with the Armoured J i have posted on here.

Enjoy the reading, it is an excellent book.

Richard

I love the GC wagons especially the long 10 ton open. They look great.

If you run out of kits, remember you can always use the standard Slaters 10 ton Roberts and Gloucester mineral wagons. The GC had loads of these on hire, they were finished in GC livery with a number beginning with '0' or sometimes 'H'. They did not have number plates but did carry PO Registration Plates (because technically they were POs) and sometimes (not always) the white 5 pointed star, which as you will know was a sort of GC logo. Sometimes had 'coal wagon' on the side doors. 

Loads for the bolster wagon? Old rocket sticks - ex fireworks, free at certain times of the year from your local gutter or garden. Cut up rails, painted rust. 

• Like 3

I love the GC wagons especially the long 10 ton open. They look great.

If you run out of kits, remember you can always use the standard Slaters 10 ton Roberts and Gloucester mineral wagons. The GC had loads of these on hire, they were finished in GC livery with a number beginning with '0' or sometimes 'H'. They did not have number plates but did carry PO Registration Plates (because technically they were POs) and sometimes (not always) the white 5 pointed star, which as you will know was a sort of GC logo. Sometimes had 'coal wagon' on the side doors. 

Loads for the bolster wagon? Old rocket sticks - ex fireworks, free at certain times of the year from your local gutter or garden. Cut up rails, painted rust. 

that is great info i will look into those wagons to add to the fleet.

• Like 1

Christms project progress

the men are complete, the women are taking longer as i am not too fashion conscious and so struggle to get colour matching right.

The men include, a milkman, to bedilvering milk to the local factory "Cluro castings" , a newspaper seller, a rich gent with pinstripe trousers, ( they were a one time only affair) and other assorted workers and gents.

post-23520-0-56977300-1419826752_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-42488300-1419826768_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-44751500-1419826743_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-91612000-1419826731_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-24166200-1419826722_thumb.jpg

Then the ladies, the one in green seemed to be easy and the one in white was originally going to be a suffregette but i backed out as it would stop the layout making sense for the last 3 years before grouping. I might do another but with a sash with ruled lines on it.

post-23520-0-47660600-1419826792_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-01736100-1419826805_thumb.jpg

Be gentle as these are significantly blown up on here, in reality they are an inch high. All buttons are painted, is it visable in reality? I just felt the castings deserved it as Stradden has done such a great job sculpting them some even have shirt cuffs under suit jackets, these are picked out in white too.

And now for the women.

Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

All buttons are painted, is it visable in reality?

Richard

Whether it is overtly visible or not, such details if well done can make a significant difference - and from what I can see you have done a superb job.

I once painted up some Preiser cattle which looked quite good, but were completely transformed when the eyeball and iris were added.  Without minute inspection, I doubt you would have specifically noticed that they had been done, but without that detail the animals were somehow lacking.

Edited by Andy Hayter

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

Your figures look great, well done.

Now to a Witham Pete, "I don't mean to criticise, BUT..........." Looking at them I was wondering if the faces could do with a bit more definition? Now you live in the colonies I am not sure you can get Games Workshop  paint because they do a flesh wash that does help improve faces. I am sure there is a US military modelling company that will do something similar.   

By the way cheers for the Xmas card. 

Here is an example of a GC hired wagon in 7mm. In this particular case, the number is authentic. I can't vouch for all the details, but this is a Charles Roberts 10 tonner like the prototype. The lettering is based on photos of similar wagons - needless to say, the tyres and buffers should be blackened.

post-7150-0-58191000-1419871924.jpg

• Like 7

Here is an example of a GC hired wagon in 7mm. In this particular case, the number is authentic. I can't vouch for all the details, but this is a Charles Roberts 10 tonner like the prototype. The lettering is based on photos of similar wagons - needless to say, the tyres and buffers should be blackened.

Great wagon nicely done, it makes me want to hunt one down even more, next in the uk in the summer so will try then. If it is plastic it will make a change for building as all other kits are metal.

• RMweb Premium

This-link to H&A models have these wagons in stock.
Harry and Andrea are dedicated to providing modelers with rolling stock kits, I always buy what I need from them they are very good at export.

Here's my scratch built attempt at the GC brake van albeit in CLC livery. If I remember correctly I utilized a Cambrian Charles Roberts under frame  which has resulted in an 9'  wheel base, the prototype being 10'. Since building I have learnt how to punch rivets in 0.010 plasticard and laminate this to thicker strip so should rectify the short wheel base.

post-8964-0-38085700-1419962727_thumb.jpg

Great work on the figures BTW.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

I like the brake van, to save a scratch building the GCRS has/had D&S kit of the brake van. Which is where i got mine from. Which makes yours the better model as it is scratch built. Besides whats 4mm between friends? lets face it i am ignoring 2.3mm error in my track all over the place.

Richard

• Like 1

For those who thought it would never happen, ballasting has taken place, 2 more boards done! In fairness one is the fiddle yard board with only 4 inches of ballast needed, and board three is just plain track so no fiddlely bits.

How did this miricale happen? I got ill and i could not face anything more complicated or taxing to occupy my mind.....and my wife took the kids for the day, so i had my first day to myself since Expo EM. Amazing what can get done when a man is left to his own devices.

Photos will follow, for the unbelievers, once it is all dry and cleaned up.

• Like 4

Ballasting, designed by the devil, enjoyed by masochists.

I have tried various methods and i am open to the most efficient, accepting that the track  is already laid. Remember that it is SMP and so very shallow and that it is pre grouping so NO ballast on the sleepers. I do feel sllightly envious of the auto ballaster generation who can have less tidy ballast. In pre grouping days prizes were awarded for the most tidy ballast.

Ignore the cess between the tracks it will be futher cleaned up.

post-23520-0-96794600-1420399426_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-26518800-1420399435_thumb.jpg

post-23520-0-71571300-1420399444_thumb.jpg

10ft done in the last week- only 11ft left to finish the layout ballasting........until i build the last two scenic boards.

Also the milk cart is finished- it is based on a dart casting, i had to add the whip and the reins as it just did not look right without them, I looked at layout photos in the mags and it jumps out at you on horse draw vehicles once noticed. It is just a thins strip of masking tape repainted.

post-23520-0-78782600-1420399466_thumb.jpg

Now on to the lady selling fish from her barrow and the newspaper sellers board- But what not date specific headline to have? I thought - taxes lowered? i wanted to keep it cheery as it is my escape to make me feel better and taxes up is too depressing but more likely. Any others?

Richard

• Like 10

Divide the track into sections of a reasonable length. Place a coin at the end of each of these sections.

As you progress, collect the coins. When you have a small collection of these coins, remember that they can be exchanged for beer in public houses. Reward yourself with a trip to such an establishment. Come home and go to bed - don't do any more. Believe me, the results will be appalling. (Don't ask me how I know this.)

As for technique, whatever works for you. The old formula Johnson's Kleer floor polish was regularly recommended as the adhesive to be applied to dry ballast (at the sides) rather than dribbling dilute PVA from above. Some like to paint the area around the sleepers with glue, and sprinkle the ballast on. I have even tried mixing the ballast with wallpaper paste, and pushing it into the gaps: but that was with Peco Streamline. I wouldn't recommend it.

I had not heard of the johnsons kleer, the two issues i am trying to solve are the ballast floating up on the glue when it is applied, and the glue bleeding out on to surrounding areas that then need reapplying. Would the application from the side assist or compound this?

Okay headline choices for the newspaper seller.

1. Peace talks for Russia, fits 1912, 1918, 1920, 1936, 1945, 1949 - any others i have missed?

2 Titanic - too specific and not that cheery

3 British ships u boat adventure - too war?

4 "Let them starve " views of public men - what was that about?

5 What Amy said to Jim - Again what is that about?

6 Police chief arrests himself!

7 Man hurt in fight over birthday cake.- It was a real one!

8 Fog train and coach collision

9 GER railway fog disruption

10 Does it matter they will be too small to read any way?

All view wanted for the poll, voting closes tomorrow.

Richard

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard

Come on your a history teacher, surely you can think of some headlines that would fit many dates. 

1.Miners go on Strike 

2.Tories win By-election 

3. Liberals win By-election

4. King and Queen to Visit

5. Favorite wins Derby

6. Debbie gets them out on Page 3