Dettingen GCR might have been layout

Thank you both your inputs.

Unfortunately we have to work with what we have got, so as this is the only diagram, it is either this one or nothing. I find a drawing however flawed more useful than not. The one for the 12at is a combination of the three phases in its life. Compare to photos to check its validity.

I appreciate the time taken to overlay the different engines for comparison and advice about wheel sizes.

Whilst it is true, I could scratch build the engine, if there is one I could butcher as a starting point, then it would save me time. I find it useful to explore a possible options, sometimes they lead to nothing and sometimes to a result. Nothing worked for the 12at so scratchbuild all the way, but a b12 works for a gcr b4 and b2. Great it saves some work.

Richard

• Like 1

When you've finished the Baldwin Mogul you can have a go at the 1913/14 Baldwin 2-10-2 proposal for the GCR. Now who would have been daft enough, almost seven years ago, to build a model based on the published outline drawings?

And what a fantastic model it was. I remember you saying it might be better to go from a different loco as the start point. Which was that? Which did you use? I know you chose on cost, as I am in country the cost difference might not be so prohibitive.

Richard

I started with a Bachmann USRA light 2-10-2 which results in a model with under-size coupled wheels and no scope for altering them because of the short wheelbase. The Proto 2000 USRA heavy 2-10-2, in a suitable version, seemed to me to be much closer to the ideal starting point, but apart from the basic purchase price the cost of carriage and the possibility of import duty put it out of the reckoning.

Edited by gr.king

Today has been one of those days. Proto 2000 USAR heavey 2-10-2 brought.It was in a sale still running from Black Friday. It true shopaholics fashion i should point out that i saved $198.99 rather than mention what i paid. Lets say about that so 50% off ish, which puts it in line with model prices in the UK. Aprojct worth doing at that price but not perhaps at the original north of $400 price tag.

I would be interested to know if any of the conversion work would be different from your build of the light 2-10-2, if you had got that far in the thinking Graeme. I have your excellent articles in the GCRS magasine to read up on.

Richard

• Like 1

It is being put back together.

post-23520-0-97997900-1544013746_thumb.jpeg

Be gentle it is n gauge, and more impressionist modeling.

Was all over Conrail blue. The red really did not want to take (still hasn’t) I lost count of the number of layers but I would not be surprised if it was north of ten.

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is being put back together.

attachicon.gifE17CFD10-CBB2-4E64-B4F8-A039D2F72C00.jpeg

Be gentle it is n gauge, and more impressionist modeling.

Was all over Conrail blue. The red really did not want to take (still hasn’t) I lost count of the number of layers but I would not be surprised if it was north of ten.

Richard

Hi Richard

With  red (and yellow) I find an undercoat of white helps.

Now with limited transfers.

To be fair how much are the little one seen?

post-23520-0-47621100-1544061255_thumb.jpeg

Will spot on a little weathering.

I will also weather the box cars as well to “ complete “ the USA collection.

Should be receiving the big locos soon to tie back in to the gcr.

Richard

post-23520-0-47621100-1544061255_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Stayed up late to weather all the wagons. / cars.

post-23520-0-96948100-1544098659_thumb.jpeg

post-23520-0-77273200-1544098670_thumb.jpeg

If you are getting messy might as well do a bunch.

Just the carriages (4) and the caboose to weather, wanted to wait to let the transfers really settle home, though now it highlights how the prr one does not have glazing. must attend to that at some point.

Richard

• Like 1

The gcr 2-10-2 donor has arrived.

post-23520-0-84736200-1544323664_thumb.jpeg

It looks pretty impressive in the box. Almost makes me regret that I am going to take a knife to it.

Also decided that the window experiment did not work consistently enough. It must be cold or too deep glue which has led to frosting. Great for loo windows but not for compartments.....unless the occupants have all pulled the blinds down.

post-23520-0-77840600-1544324032_thumb.jpeg

post-23520-0-43715700-1544324045_thumb.jpeg

Going for the cut out glazing which I find really mundane.

Richard

Edited by richard i
  • Like 2

The mogul has arrived.

post-23520-0-86058700-1544582663_thumb.jpeg

On close inspection, the data stands as such:

Wheels too small, 15mm not the 20mm needed. Could replace them.

The length from the back to the rear of the cylinders is 78mm rather than the 86mm it needs to be.

The front section from smokebox to buffer is 8mm not the 12mm needed. Easy to lengthen.

The wheel spacing is 32mm,23mm rather than the 34mm, 25mm it should be, but by losing 2mm from each it looks the part.

However, good news.

Cab is right size and shape. Length of boiler smoke box is correct, just need more boiler, less smokebox.

It looks like there is mileage here. Will I change the wheels? That will depend on if it means I go chasing all the other dimensions in order to bring them back into line.

Richard

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

GCR / Baldwin 2-10-2 scheme: By coincidence my renewed efforts to reinstate lost, previously "remotely hosted" images, in my own modelling thread have recently progressed far enough to reach the first stages of my attempt at portrayal of the never-was Big Baldwin, here:

https://lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=1665#p62685

The creation of an index for the whole of my thread on that site is also under-way, although as yet only the first third or so is covered, but work continues:

https://lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&sid=26b38938b4268d1c1fead0cd57cb9894

• Like 1

GCR / Baldwin 2-10-2 scheme: By coincidence my renewed efforts to reinstate lost, previously "remotely hosted" images, in my own modelling thread have recently progressed far enough to reach the first stages of my attempt at portrayal of the never-was Big Baldwin, here:https://lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&start=1665#p62685The creation of an index for the whole of my thread on that site is also under-way, although as yet only the first third or so is covered, but work continues:https://lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2443&sid=26b38938b4268d1c1fead0cd57cb9894

Thanks it will give me great inspiration. The biggest issue in my head is how to do the double cylinders. If I remember correctly 2 cylinders fed one cross head.

Richard

Pages 116-117, now with images, may assist. Two pieces of brass tube soldered together and bonded to a new stretched fabricated up out of plasticard. Double crossheads cut from nickel silver (fret surrounds and suitable narrow strips) soldered together with a suitable tiny nut and bolt or a pin to attach the little-end of the con-rod. Cylinder ends filled with plasticard discs to a sufficient depth to also support the hidden tails of the slide-bars.

Edited by gr.king

• 2 weeks later...

Silence due to having to go and do Christmas duty at others’ houses. It means limited modeling time and limited modeling material.

So windows done.

post-23520-0-63780500-1546455825_thumb.jpeg

And I measured up, scaled down and made the tender for the challenger in n scale.

post-23520-0-76640700-1546455886_thumb.jpeg

Now I can run it as a Delaware and Hudson loco. Should change it from double to single chimney when I can find a suitable one here. The surprise in the shop when I asked if they had the correct tender, and when told not, I said ,”oh well I will just have to make one.” Clearly not something often done here.

I normally do a new year focus.....and then miss doing what I set out to do. For the third year in a row I set myself carriage building. I spent most building the 12at, (still not finished -due to lack of ability) and weathering all the n gauge for the USA montage project. So only the three 4wheelers to show for it. Next year perhaps I will do better! But then there are the petrol rail car, b3, s1, d9, n5 to distract me. I justify it all as they are all needed for the end layout so all is good, any order works.

Happy new year to all. May the modeling ever be in your favour.

Richard

• Like 3

Hi Richard

Where did you find the diagram for the Mallet's tender?

On the fallen flags webpage you directed me towards. It is a blessing and a curse. I now know far more about USA railroads than I did, but now I have to be more precise and less impressionistic with my modeling as l know what is wrong, hence getting fussed over the double chimney. ......did not even notice it before.

Richard

• Like 1

Quiz time.

Going to do transfers. The other two coaches are easy, but what goes on this one?

post-23520-0-90589900-1546533350_thumb.jpeg

How many crests? The others get two on the first full panels in from the ends. Where would they go? Either side of door and ducket?

What goes on the doors? I have a choice between guard, guard compt, luggage, parcel van. Just on the door by the ducket? On all doors? Double doors one thing, single door another?

Any views greatly appreciated. Photos in my collection are limited and in distinct as people seemed to photograph front 3/4 of train and did not expend precious glass plates on humble brakes.

Many thanks

Richard