Dettingen GCR might have been layout

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cheers Jim

Richard, will these help you?  Get a photocopy of your drawing and draw a horizontal line from one side to the other where the sides and roof meet. then draw a series of 1mm parallel lines. Where these lines bisect the roof line is the width of that layer of plastic card. When I use to make my own diesel locos the roofs were solid , this method might make a coach too top heavy so what I am now doing is attaching 5mm strips of 1 mm (40thou) plastic card at the right width.

100_5873a.jpg.c0fb81441a48be7284c7b7fdcd3918c3.jpg

100_5875a.jpg.a9c0d6c955fdb948ab874a45368d097d.jpg

So the sides have somewhere to fix to I add a 1mm thick false roof, this need not be a one piece but strips of plastic card.

100_5876a.jpg.70ddd77dc61f583afbe666fd1220c2fc.jpg

100_5877a.jpg.e2d9edb980528ab46f8c52e3fe94eb2f.jpg

Once set file away the square corners and as if my magic

002a.jpg.8a11844776273139b739b1bbb18baa4f.jpg

I find it easier to file after fitting the roof as the coach body gives me something to hold. It can be done before fitting.

When you are happy with the shape any gaps bung in some filler and when that is dry smooth off. Job done.

Thanks Clive this might be the way I go. The other is to get brass, bend to shape, it is steep then flat so fold lines. Solder to sides and ends then file to shape. Keith gave me details of a balsa supplier which is option three,( in no particular order) .

Let’s face it, in lockdown I have time to play around with it. 
you are a gentleman and a scholar.

richard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From tops to bottoms. 
the chassis are now done to the stage where all the bits supplied are fitted, plus for 5 of them have scratch built buffer beams. 
1BAD9651-AD27-440B-B08E-97BE9E0187BF.jpeg.ac4da34b5f0b2aafb053a8338546bc2d.jpeg

next I might tackle the bogies so I can check ride height and fixings before too many other bits are stuck on. 
it punts the bits which need scratchbuilding further down the path. Though bad news for Keith, I will be plundering my left over barnum bits for brake cylinders so there will be fewer bits to pass on once lockdown ends. 
richard 

• Like 2

Questions.

does anyone have instructions for these bogies, Parker 8ft gcr bogies?

i will try to put them together correctly by guessing where things go, but am guessing on some parts. Some from the bogie, some might be from the carriage body or floor/ underframe. 

Can you help with what are these parts? 
First up what are the pieces on the far right with the brake pull rods? 
B0DC7814-9980-454F-9911-32BADC20C26F.jpeg.655749a83dbc9f29880df6638e94c54a.jpeg

next up, what are the parts at the top middle, they seem to fold once almost in the middle. Steps? 
6B1573F0-ED8A-490F-B73F-4C27D108B00F.jpeg.e68a159899d073636c993fc19183cba4.jpeg

then lastly both these long thin piece and these three pronged piece. 

any help gratefully received,

richard 

9B220CC7-9F20-4AB1-8581-AAD68171D3BB.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Whose etches are those? - personal interest should I build some more Parker stock.

Picture 1 - far right is indeed the brake rigging gear/ pull rods and sits behind/ between the brake blocks

The rest I canot help with unfortunately

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, richard i said:

Questions.

does anyone have instructions for these bogies, Parker 8ft gcr bogies?

i will try to put them together correctly by guessing where things go, but am guessing on some parts. Some from the bogie, some might be from the carriage body or floor/ underframe. 

Can you help with what are these parts? 
First up what are the pieces on the far right with the brake pull rods? 

Bogie foot boards. They only go under the brake van ends.  Not sure where the wee wheelie things go. 

next up, what are the parts at the top middle, they seem to fold once almost in the middle. Steps? 
then lastly both these long thin piece and these three pronged piece. 

These make up the boogie bolster springs. 

HTH

Edited by billbedford
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Whose etches are those? - personal interest should I build some more Parker stock.

Picture 1 - far right is indeed the brake rigging gear/ pull rods and sits behind/ between the brake blocks

The rest I canot help with unfortunately

Thanks for the advice on parts, the bogies are from A Gibbs as it says on the etch. Beyond that I can not help. 
richard 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Bogie foot boards. They only go under the brake van ends.  Not sure where the wee wheelie things go. 

These make up the boogie bolster springs. 

HTH

Bill

as always helpful, thank you. Now I just need to work how those spring pieces fit together. 
richard

• Like 1

D & S Models. I have kit DS 58, a Parker corridor third. I've had it, untouched, for years and have only just broken the seals on the box after seeing your post. It contains the same bogie etches as your top picture, but none of the others. I can scan and send the kit instructions if you wish. They may be a challenge to follow, especially as your kit has different details.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

D & S Models. I have kit DS 58, a Parker corridor third. I've had it, untouched, for years and have only just broken the seals on the box after seeing your post. It contains the same bogie etches as your top picture, but none of the others. I can scan and send the kit instructions if you wish. They may be a challenge to follow, especially as your kit has different details.

Thank you, I have been messaged a scan of the bogie instructions already. How people have all this stuff to hand I will not know. I have to keep it away or it gets lost by the kids, tided away by the wife or eaten by the hound. 
I may come back to you for advice if I can not work out what he means in the written section of the instructions. 
richard

• Like 1

Okay. I shall watch to see how you get on. We'll be learning together.

I remember struggling initially with instructions for GNR Fox bogies. Things such as references to "up" and "down", which are ambiguous if one has previously been told to turn the item upside down on the bench, especially in conjunction with an etch that seems to have some of the minor folds lines on the "unexpected" side.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gr.king said:

Okay. I shall watch to see how you get on. We'll be learning together.

I remember struggling initially with instructions for GNR Fox bogies. Things such as references to "up" and "down", which are ambiguous if one has previously been told to turn the item upside down on the bench, especially in conjunction with an etch that seems to have some of the minor folds lines on the "unexpected" side.

I read the instructions, it helped make some sense, but I am still perplexed by some parts, woodcock29 said he struggled to work out the centre spring parts too. 
I will report progress, perhaps a few more as building photos. 
richard

• Like 1

First underframe done. 
65EA8219-3B81-48EA-90A9-A37E2E8F196D.jpeg.d282147b17262bbec74163e32e802141.jpeg

it slowed down to make the gas tanks and brakes. 
on the cardboard below you will see the sketching of truss rods end profile and roof profile to help complete the other 6.  
questions.
They now needs buffers/ headstocks, what is closest? In photos they merge into the ends. I have plenty of gcr wagon buffers, would they be close enough? If not them, then what? None came with the part built coach so I have none to compare to. Then I have gas lamps to make for the roofs as the only other major hurdle. Oh apart from one bogie as the job lot I received has 13 bogies in it, and I need 14. 
richard

• Like 3

Jig had to be altered.

7A7D3608-E84E-4262-B7DA-9472EAE43A46.jpeg.e17846aee6bb59627a16612c8a91f0f1.jpeg
5D44EDA2-6125-4034-A9F0-91760A666DAF.jpeg.96b015a2fe4846605ab3d3c857c533b4.jpeg

you would assume when I measure every thing it would work, but it led to too sharp an angle on the truss rod coming back up from the queen posts. Still that is why you make one and check. 
hence why the jig has been altered. 
you live and learn. 
richard 

• Like 3

A parcel arrived from Brian. Very excited. It included more than I expected, it solved the roof furniture question. 
F43F6384-3642-4EF1-9DA6-5B0A3A9A13E1.jpeg.1d43f3c0a71895221dc3a8ba0fa208d1.jpeg

however there look to be two sizes of torpedo vent, bottom of picture below the rule.  Are the big ones for the compartments and the small ones for the corridor? Or have the little ones another function?

it also came with gas cylinders the day I finished the wooden ones. I might save them to use with the six wheelers and use the wooden ones here as I need to for the buffet car as it’s cylinders were longer anyway. Plus I need to increase the separation from the floor so could not solder directly and do not have metal to bridge the gap. 
Onwards and upwards.

richard

• Like 3

Talking of the model items here those vents look to be two different manufacturers products. The larger ones may older tooling. Generally roof vents were the one size on the same vehicle.

I would be inclined to use the bigger ones on the coach and keep the smaller ones for a four or six wheel vehicle.

Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimwal said:

Talking of the model items here those vents look to be two different manufacturers products. The larger ones may older tooling. Generally roof vents were the one size on the same vehicle.

I would be inclined to use the bigger ones on the coach and keep the smaller ones for a four or six wheel vehicle.

Jim

Thanks Jim that may be sage advice. They won’t be fitted for a bit so I will see if anyone has any conflicting or correlating advice. 
richard 

I was an idiot. Slowed down as I could not see how vacuum cylinders worked. I could not understand why detail was on the top which would be lost once fitted, and then I was looking at them upside down.  Once I worked that out I found I could see a way to fit them.  
A51B9C52-3E3F-45F2-896B-F9A96D2A2464.jpeg.6672345d18c8b08123c68c1b45c25369.jpeg
Sorry, it does not look impressive but it is what it is. 

The pace should now quicken, if family and job allow. 
richard. 

• Like 4

Sorry Keith 

F51234D0-60F4-46F8-B950-713863752523.jpeg.9e51308495e144fda14cbbec103b024f.jpeg

I said you could have the spare bits from the Barnums when I finished needing them. There are now only 2 of these triangular supports for the brake rodding left. Needed to use 24 to make the supports for the current carriages. 
I am renaming my work bench, Dukinfield. 
Before anyone asks the letter/ numbers are not passwords. They tie in with something else I am doing. 
richard 

• Like 1

Parts like those 'V' hangers are common to many rolling stock vehicles. You may have a broken one in another build project or kit.

A good modeller throws nothing away!

I think you may have a way to go with the alphabet . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimwal said:

Parts like those 'V' hangers are common to many rolling stock vehicles. You may have a broken one in another build project or kit.

A good modeller throws nothing away!

I think you may have a way to go with the alphabet . . .

The v hangers are the wrong shape they should have parallel sides for the first bit, but this can only be seen looking under from the opposite side. 
the alphabet is difficult to learn but I think I am getting there, next to work on the letter order. 
richard 

• Like 1

The underframes came together today, bringing all the sub assemblies in to one place.  LEGO people looking on, inspecting them critically. 
6F40BE73-AA17-401A-B3EC-9E299EEB07B2.jpeg.73270d2dfdcf795a7c77c7ac1f4e4768.jpeg

then I turned my attention to how to make the last bogie needed.

B4670F3E-765D-4EB2-AC82-2BB2856EF57E.jpeg.c7519527cdeafcc12019eb68626b6834.jpeg

One set of bearings drilled out. Next I will scribe the shape of the outline. Then cut it out. Let’s see if this plan works. All the other major bits are rectangles of various sizes so should be simpler to generate,

richard 

• Like 4

How did Denny build a j11 in 3 days? Please tell me that did not include painting and lining. 
this bogie side frame took several days to cut and file. I still need to make the one for the other side. 
E55C4230-BDFF-4C9F-8683-7E326D57B000.jpeg.b628a61de254e5993572d91606e02fdc.jpeg

thank heavens I only need to make one. Not even a coaches worth. How do people scratch build at any rate in brass?

plugging on,

richard 

• Like 4