Dettingen GCR might have been layout

4 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

If brass is being stubborn it can always be annealed over a gas flame

Fortunately not needed here.

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Andy

Better tell Richard to remove the plastic former first.

way ahead of you on this one. Also not a fan of the fumes given off when the plastic burns.

richard

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

If brass is being stubborn it can always be annealed over a gas flame

There is always the risk with doing that that it goes totally soft and is very easily distorted so it can be difficult to get a nice smooth curve on it, especially if it's fairly thin.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 2

After looking at photos I felt I needed to make a new end for the third brake.

7EAE3E95-73AE-455C-AFAE-1B644B1C8798.jpeg.f93a9d204614b64dcc471e7e780e3551.jpeg

it looks a little messy. It did look cleaner before I added the steps. The gap in the middle is for the corridor connector. So by my reckoning that makes it fit the third phase of the carriage’s development. 

just leaves the side duckets to make. Then the rest should just be adding on the missing bits. 
oh except for the end steps On both the carriages and bogies ( where needed) and bogie pivots. 
richard

• Like 4

Decision on duckets. Brass.

form from a folded u shape. A brass insert, then two strips top and bottom to form a gap in the middle for the window and then a final inset to form the back of the ducket and give something solid to solder to.

B5453FE1-EC30-4995-8AAE-C8DE575A3052.jpeg.8890c1ac83e7320158ee2fc506ef83c3.jpeg

on the carriage the beading needs filing away. These curved files were most useful. Rarely used but just the job here. This was the point of no return.

FEF5C3B4-E1E2-4811-B097-AD94963E22C3.jpeg.92aa16da5e302646fe1b6a0a7d88e08d.jpeg

then drill holes so that solder can be introduced from the back. The real point of no return.

04799F5C-66B4-4E57-9B21-03FDF6E254FE.jpeg.76558194e1c486f3cba67e2345daa443.jpeg

to be continued.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Then solder duckets to the sides.

CD07F7AC-7E6F-48A3-9028-257674FBB632.jpeg.967880a59d263abfd6b7f21d98dc0c47.jpeg

proof there is a tiny window. Visible in the end view as you see the train approach you or pull away from you.

A2CD5759-436E-463D-8453-88CA228FF75C.jpeg.ac1995d126b0d66ae666ce7e34bee56d.jpeg

that is all the conversion work I think the set needs. Now back to Moving forwards. Roofs or buffer beams as that is almost all that is left. Solder or drill is really the decision here.  Solder for steps or drill for roof furniture.

I will clean it up before painting. 

richard 

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Planning the next stage.

A76EA11D-FF0F-416F-A4C5-C304E5FF0586.jpeg.6eb7160e24e899c3dc6885e0190d6086.jpeg

the roof furniture. From drawings and photos, with a little extrapolation to work out gas pipe runs etc.

it seems guard’s compartments did not have vents, I would have thought with gas lighting some vents would be necessary. 
richard 

• Like 3

I must apologize to everyone in Essex for the rain that will inevitably tomorrow.

finally not only worked out what the bogie steps Looked like, but have made them and fitted them

CE265298-18E1-4B30-A386-539457BFB310.jpeg.d7a0d2424b63029dbffa26d34c5fb89c.jpeg

which means all the bogies could be washed ready for painting.

791B4616-9245-4FE1-A911-0CD57F32FE79.jpeg.25293550e4e6c2c65a2b11cceb879d96.jpeg

hence why the gods will conspire to make it Rain so I can not spray paint them tomorrow. 
such is life,

richard

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Interesting T-shirt design, but I am not sure it will catch on...

It is a tea towel. I would not wear anything as fashionable as a tea towel.

55 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All the time I have known Richard, if he is wearing something that is vaguely fashionable it is by accident.

i would be horrified if I did. It would mean that I actually cared what others thought I should wear rather than forming my own opinion. 
richard 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All the time I have known Richard, if he is wearing something that is vaguely fashionable it is by accident.

Given the (I presume) “Flock of Seagulls”-inspired haircut in your avatar, I am not 100% convinced that you are best placed to pass comment... :)

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Given the (I presume) “Flock of Seagulls”-inspired haircut in your avatar, I am not 100% convinced that you are best placed to pass comment... :)

Hi Simon

The photo pre-dates the Flock of Seagulls, and no one in the band had a double Mohican.

1912672901_Bigbro3.png.d464e39243b5f1ee236522f032ff5671.png

• RMweb Gold

Ahead of your time, then?

(Somewhere in the world is a photo of me looking distinctly Robert Smith like. Thankfully, it is unlikely to ever appear in public!)

Used to be able to play “Tube Disaster”, if you know it...

Edited by Regularity
Auto incorrect

So it turns out, either I have not offended the gods as much as I thought, or the weather is not tied to what stage I am up to in building a model.......it just seems that way.

4D539F89-F71A-48EE-A2FE-7CD2045D6B1C.jpeg.e618133cf2368f0bcf1ede9a9f64a81c.jpeg

a skilled painters would be horrified as both primer and top coats went on in the same day.

paint up the wooden parts of the wheels and fit the five parts together and the bogies are done. 
nice to feel that these are starting to come together now. 
richard 

• Like 3

I think it depends on the paint. I've noticed that some primers, especially the self etching variety, seem to come with instructions to allow time for the solvent in the primer to vent and for the etching action to occur before over-coating, so I follow those instructions, but I've never noticed a problem, on a properly prepared surface, when using say Halfords aerosol primer followed the same day by either the same firm's aerosol colour coat (either on full size motor cars or on models) or Humbrol / Railmatch / Phoenix Precision top-coat on models from a small sprayer.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gr.king said:

I think it depends on the paint. I've noticed that some primers, especially the self etching variety, seem to come with instructions to allow time for the solvent in the primer to vent and for the etching action to occur before over-coating, so I follow those instructions, but I've never noticed a problem, on a properly prepared surface, when using say Halfords aerosol primer followed the same day by either the same firm's aerosol colour coat (either on full size motor cars or on models) or Humbrol / Railmatch / Phoenix Precision top-coat on models from a small sprayer.

That’s good to know. Reassuring there won’t be implications further down the line.

richard 

Hi Richard,

Good to see you are finding the time to do some modelling now you're back at work. I look forward to when we can give these coaches a run on the track in the garage.

Monday afternoon's meeting was well attended but your presence

was missed as you seem to be the only one doing anything. I hope we can carry on with our afternoon meetings in the garden for a few more weeks, weather permitting. The latest virus news is not encouraging so retreating back into the garage may be a problem if the situation continues to deteriorate.

Bye the way, I cured the noise from the latest addition to my RTR 'collection' - the Hornby Princess - Queen(?) Maude. After removing the body and giving it  a run the noise disappeared(?!) so the conclusion was a problem with the body. On inspection there were some pips inside the body below where the dome and top feeds were located - presumably the fixings for these items. There was also a feint mark around the fly wheel below one of these fittings. Using a riffler file   (on Jim's suggestion) I filed back these pips until the inside of the body was smooth. After refitting the body and giving it a run all was well!

I look forward to seeing further progress with your project. 

Cheers

Keith

• Thanks 1