Pannier Tank liveries

Hello,

I'm trying to find some alternative liveries for 15xx, 94xx and 97xx panniers rather than the plain green or BR black.

I ask the question because my trawlling through the internet and my limited library only shows lining on BR black liveries on locos in modern preservation not on original photos.

I have a couple of colour pictures of a 15xx (1501) in a very scruffy NCB livery and BR black lined in preservation, is the latter a bit of fantasy?

Another question, after seeing a couple of locos with condensing gear on the London Transport Muesum website, it got me wondering if the 97xx was ever seen in the London Transport red livery as per the 57xx? I'm assuming by the lack of photographic evidence it wasn't.

I hope these questions have been put in the right forum and haven't been asked a million times before. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm new to this game and feel woefully behind the curve!

Cheers

Hello,

I'm trying to find some alternative liveries for 15xx, 94xx and 97xx panniers rather than the plain green or BR black.

I ask the question because my trawlling through the internet and my limited library only shows lining on BR black liveries on locos in modern preservation not on original photos.

I have a couple of colour pictures of a 15xx (1501) in a very scruffy NCB livery and BR black lined in preservation, is the latter a bit of fantasy?

Another question, after seeing a couple of locos with condensing gear on the London Transport Muesum website, it got me wondering if the 97xx was ever seen in the London Transport red livery as per the 57xx? I'm assuming by the lack of photographic evidence it wasn't.

I hope these questions have been put in the right forum and haven't been asked a million times before. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm new to this game and feel woefully behind the curve!

Cheers

Three of the 15xx which worked into Paddington were lined black.

Thanks asmay2002 and Coach bogie for you info, the photo of 9707 is great.

I wish I'd waited 24 hours before posting the questions as a new copy of The Pannier Papers No.6 arrived today by post and there are 7 plus pages of photos showing the Paddington trio with their lines!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

One 97xx survived until at least around 1960 with the 'shirt button' (9709?). I can remember seeing her in my spotting days - there was little/no evidence of green under the dirt. All of them suffered from this, which is not surprising considering their working environment.

Apart from the few built by the GWR, AFAIK all of the 94xx were black, but possibly one or two were lined for ECW duties at Paddington? (cf 15xx).

Archived