Black Friday Sale

Nobby (John)

I thought I would relay my experience for the record. I buy from Hornby direct occasionally, normally either sale items or items likely to sell out quickly that I may not have pre-ordered (given the total lack of real model shops left anywhere in most of London).

I ordered on the first evening of the Black Friday sale (25th Nov). Order was acknowledged, then nothing. I saw the postings about delays, Eventually I tried ringing - on my third attempt in two days I got into a call queue, call was answered after about 10 minutes.The (very polite) lady when checking my order, advised that it had been held up due to one item being out of stock. I agreed with her to delete that item so the order could be processed. The refund was through that evening and the next day (18th Dec) my order arrived.

My experience this time was very different to previous orders - very delayed, no advice, I'm not sure when I would have received anything or heard from them if I had not chased it up. But, although it was clearly something of a cock-up, I didn't particularly feel I'd been ignored or treated with contempt, and (as with all my previous experiences) when I spoke to them, they were very good. Oh, and nobody died....

So I do think they will need to learn lessons from this and (like a number of other retailers) learn to manage an online sales rush better (and certainly don't create one if you can't manage it!). But, speaking personally, although below par, I haven't felt that  this was quite the disaster that it seems to have been for others.    

• RMweb Premium

Now it goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. I placed an order with Hornby on the day before Black Friday, this was for a couple of the Corgi Trackside models and an Airfix kit. The following Wednesday I e-mailed the sales department and the following day received a reply saying my order had been dispatched, my order duly arrived the following day and as far as I was concerned that was it. This afternoon I received an e-mail from Hornby saying that my order has been dispatched and I should expect to receive it Thursday! :scratchhead: I will have to check the order number when I can find it to make sure that it is the same and not someone else's order but I am not expecting a delivery tomorrow or even next Thursday.

Now it goes from the sublime to the ridiculous. I placed an order with Hornby on the day before Black Friday, this was for a couple of the Corgi Trackside models and an Airfix kit. The following Wednesday I e-mailed the sales department and the following day received a reply saying my order had been dispatched, my order duly arrived the following day and as far as I was concerned that was it. This afternoon I received an e-mail from Hornby saying that my order has been dispatched and I should expect to receive it Thursday! :scratchhead: I will have to check the order number when I can find it to make sure that it is the same and not someone else's order but I am not expecting a delivery tomorrow or even next Thursday.

If it contains some bogie bolster wagons, brass and BR blue paint, it's the one I told them where to shove it when I refused delivery of it.

I just hope Santa and his Elves hasn't had to subcontract sending parcels to whoever does Hornby's stuff.  You haven't been naughty, by any chance?  :jester:

Weird! I also received an email yesterday regarding a Corgi Aviation Archive model I had ordered in the Black Friday sale which stated that it would be delivered on Thursday. No sign today though so far. :dontknow:

Weird! I also received an email yesterday regarding a Corgi Aviation Archive model I had ordered in the Black Friday sale which stated that it would be delivered on Thursday. No sign today though so far. :dontknow:

Maybe you were naughty, too.  Did you receive a lump of coal that you weren't expecting?

Note to self, stop coming up with pathetic attempts at "jokes"...

• RMweb Premium

Mind you they don't say which Thursday.

• RMweb Gold

I received my parcel over a week ago but the Hornby site still says that the order is processing.

Let's see if Hornby respond to my challenge I sent to and was published on MREMAG just before Christmas, ie,what are they going to do to make good what they did wrong, for those who have not seen it.

5/1 says copius amounts of waffle and nothing.

Evens says I'll be completely ignored by Hornby.

Not that I gamble but it would be nice to be proved to be wrong.

Just a note that not only is Yodel suffering delays, but "City Link" went into administration and won't be delivering any more parcels (pick-up from depots).

Do/did Hornby use "City Link" ?

City-Link demise covered at this link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94055-city-link-in-administration/

• RMweb Premium

I've checked the order number quoted, and its a completely different number to my original number!  My order number was CO0174681 and the number quoted is 328684? This is a bit worrying, does it mean that I am about to receive someone else's order? Or has that e-mail simply been sent to the wrong address? Obviously the e-mail is one of those automatic ones and its from UK Mail saying my order was collected on 24/12/2014, but as I stated above my order was dealt with as soon as I e-mailed them and I received my goods over 2 weeks ago. One difference was my order was with Corgi (which is owned by Hornby) not with Hornby itself and I did not order anything from Hornby.

• RMweb Gold

I've checked the order number quoted, and its a completely different number to my original number! 

i had that with my royal 67, the email from the courier quoted such and such number which bore no relation at all to the Hornby order, so much so that until the parcel arrived and i opened it i didnt have a clue what it was or where it was coming from

• RMweb Premium

i had that with my royal 67, the email from the courier quoted such and such number which bore no relation at all to the Hornby order, so much so that until the parcel arrived and i opened it i didnt have a clue what it was or where it was coming from

Ooer, I wonder if I got lucky and got in just before it hit the fan and my order was expedited as a result and the fact that it was expedited was not noted. I will have to wait and see what UK Mail will deliver (or not as the case may be.)

• RMweb Premium

Ooer, I wonder if I got lucky and got in just before it hit the fan and my order was expedited as a result and the fact that it was expedited was not noted. I will have to wait and see what UK Mail will deliver (or not as the case may be.)

Well its arrived, today of all days (Sunday!) My original order was for a pair of the Corgi Trackside Coles mobile cranes and an Airfix kit. This order as stated above was received a few weeks ago. Today's delivery was for a single Coles crane model. There was also an invoice showing just the one crane model and the Airfix kit but the Airfix kit is shown as 'Sold out, refund to follow.'? The price shown on the invoice is 0.00 for both the crane and the kit? As I paid by credit card I'll not know until I receive my next statement if a refund has been made. As it stands at the moment I have an extra model with a purchase price of £3.99 and an invoice for £0.00, would it be theft if I kept the model?

• RMweb Gold

As it stands at the moment I have an extra model with a purchase price of £3.99 and an invoice for £0.00, would it be theft if I kept the model?

Technically yes, but no doubt Horsetan has clients who can tell you how to get round this :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Technically yes, but no doubt Horsetan has clients who can tell you how to get round this :scratchhead:

I'll inform Hornby anyway and see what their reply is, though by whats been said on this thread I might have a long wait for a reply.

• RMweb Gold

I'll inform Hornby anyway and see what their reply is, though by whats been said on this thread I might have a long wait for a reply.

Agreed.  In practice when self/wife have had problems with wrong/broken items of small value and spoken to reputable sellers, they often say 'keep it' as it costs more for them to handle than letting you keep the item.  That way, at least you're legal.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Last day of Hornby's Black Friday sale. Looks like the value of my Mk1 SR green brake and Gresley buffet have plummeted. The sale shows the sort of models that don't sell well.

When I looked at the site anything that was of interest to me was sold out. After last years fiasco I'm inclined to ignore it, not that I didn't receive my order in full but I received one item twice with an apology for the other items being out of stock. I know of others who did not receive any of their orders.

Archived