I have used data from brdatabase.info to produce an interactive google map of most of the sheds (pre-1997) in the UK - it is a work in progress and I will update it in the future (rather than in the past which is, unfortunately, rather tricky!). Each flag links to the shed info on brdatabase which, of course, is also a WIP. Let me know what you think.

Map

I have used data from brdatabase.info to produce an interactive google map of most of the sheds (pre-1997) in the UK - it is a work in progress and I will update it in the future (rather than in the past which is, unfortunately, rather tricky!). Each flag links to the shed info on brdatabase which, of course, is also a WIP. Let me know what you think.

Map

Given this is a work in progress I hate to critisise but I have found an issue which may reoccur elsewhere in the country and therefore I hope you find the comments useful. Ashford (Kent) has a rich railway heritage.There was the works and the steam running shed both near to and east of the station. For the 1959 to 61 Kent coast electrification a new EMU repair facility was required. This was built away from the station to the west and was known as Ashford Chart Leacon to differentiate it from Ashford MPD and Ashford works. It is probably only a couple of miles between the sites but the data for 1875 up to closure of the steam depot in early 60s relates only to Ashford

• RMweb Premium

Good Stuff, I was just having a peruse of my local sheds (Western Region, London Div), it looks like the further away from London the lower the code, i.e. Old Oak is 81A and Oxford 81F which makes sense.

I was wondering if there is any particular reason why Southall is 81C & Slough is 81B when Southall is the next depot along the line from OOC?

I was wondering if there is any particular reason why Southall is 81C & Slough is 81B when Southall is the next depot along the line from OOC?

Probably because there was one at Slough (1840)before Southall (1859-ish), or Slough was mainly a passenger loco ( suburban ?) shed, and Southall was freight.

Looking forward to the addition of sub-sheds to the list

• RMweb Gold

Loco depots were ordered in terms of importance in that division, rather than London-outwards.

Stewart

The Western Region ones generally followed the previous GW coding (not the painted code but the Divisional numbering system) simply translated into the BR type numbering system.

Incidentally I am a bit confused as the thread heading refers to steam depots whereas the OP mentions 1997 -ver 30 years after most of the had closed.  So is it steam depots or is it all depots?

I want to include all depots at some point - sheds and subsheds (with or without allocations) from pre-grouping days until 1997 - but it is a lot of work and I have other things to do. However, please keep the critiques coming in so I can get them right.

One or two points:

• 1875 is just a default start date and is presented until I know the correct date - perhaps I should omit those.
  • Ashford & Ashford Chart Leacon always confused me - I'll sort them out
  • Shed codes pre-1923 (except for Midland & some LNWR) are guesses - my database expects a shed code (in this iteration) so I needed something. The next iteration won't need codes so I'll be able to be more accurate on that issue.
  • Shed locations changed over the years, and there is too much detail (see Griffiths & Smith) to manage so at the moment it will be a best effort.

Thanks for your continued support.

Archived