Hawkinsfield Junction

Andy R

Point making progress...

Before we head to UK for my sons wedding to a lovely english lady I have managed some time down in the man-cave with point making for the new station terminus.

One photo shows how I am trying to get the track to flow from one point to another through using one length of rail for the stock rails flowing from one point to another and /or into each frog (I think you will get what I mean?).

Another shows the little pinch device I have made that helps me file the SMP c.75 BH rail for blades and/or frogs. Just place the rail into the slot under the wood, screw down the coach bolts and file away! Easy and effective.

Another shows the tie bar system I use- SMP tie bars have ordinary dress makers pins inserted and then bent 90 degrees and cut to length so that the point blades can be soldered to them. This gives max flexibilty and places no strain on the point blades movement. Again simple and effective.

regards Andy R

post-22779-0-49559400-1508793631.jpg

post-22779-0-39254300-1508793643.jpg

post-22779-0-88092100-1508793662.png

Hey Les- sorry I missed the Hamilton show due to having medical checks.

Just finished the three way point so dived into the single slip next along- challenging I can tell you!

Regards Andy

Progress report

Three way point constructed but not electrically tested as its early days on that aspect as I work along into the single slip. My inital running through of a suitable wagon, pushed by delicate hand (?) suggests some tight spots around the rails leading from the toe of the point (the first tie bar area (bottom of picture) and along towards second tie bar spot) and I may need some rethink on the exact positioning of blades in this area of the point. I will wait and see on that after doing all the points in this part of station throat....no hurry!

Picture of completed three-way point attached. I am finding the single slip easier than the three-way point to make actually.

regards Andy R

post-22779-0-94777300-1509063961.png

• Like 2

Progress report:

After beavering away off and on for a couple of days, a single slip has emerged adjacent and connecting into the earlier three-way point. Im now moving further along the chain of points that form part of and feed into the station platforms and the single slip. Just quietly working when I can keeps things moving along.

Not that these completed ones have been electrically tested or with stock running through yet -that will have to wait till next year I am guessing, but wagons and some bogie stock have been 'pushed' through to test tight spots. If there are some, out with the soldering iron and track gauge to ease these spots.

The latest photo attached shows the single slip, with the three-way point flowing away from it.

One week away from tripping to the UK for my elder sons wedding, so unlikely to see any model railways for a while.

Query- has any forum member brought and used tortoise point motors from the UK and if so where did they find good service? I need about 20!

regards Andy R

post-22779-0-84944300-1509508878.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

Hello RM webbers...my first post on upgrades to my Hawkinsfield Junction layout since Nov 2017, and the world has so changed!  For those interested I thought I would share the last few years progress in a new series of posts over the next wee while.

Here in NZ we had a major Covid lockdown for 10 weeks from April 2020, which if nothing else, helped with significant modelling progress on the new terminus side of my layout; the new terminus I have named Melcombe Regis (which happens to be the old english name for the original Weymouth). And as my layout is generically set in Dorset, this is the idea behind this. But unfortunately the extensive station at Weymouth cannot be reproduced in the layout room space I have.

During the 10 weeks national lockdown I got stuck into track laying and point making in-situ for Melcombe Regis. I recall I got to the point where the track work and basic wiring was completed.

The first few photos of this new series of posts endeavours to show the basic construction techniques as I worked along the new terminus track work, from the platform ends toward the loco shed end and connecting out to the Hawkinsfield Junction boards. I hope people find this series of interest.

new terminus setting out track layout 1.png

new terminus track making 1 IMG_0117 (2).jpg

new terminus track making 2 IMG_0116 (2).jpg

new terminus starting platforms IMG_0149 (2).jpg

• Like 7

Hawkinsfield Junction Update, Part 2:

So, with terminus track basically laid my next step was to install new tortoise motors under the baseboard to activate all new points there. I decided to bite the bullet and order direct from a supplier in the USA, and while I nearly had to mortgage the house to cover the exchange rate and freight costs, they have been worth it.

Once installed correctly, these are great slow- mo  motors and I'm very happy with them.  I decided early on I wanted to have a mimic panel approach to operating the terminus points rather than using my DCC handset and so I set about wiring in the tortoise motors into a new control panel. One of the photos shows the panel with its DPDT switches and LEDs to show point direction. Under the baseboard is a lot of wiring spaghettis!

A 'slave' NCE controller has been wired up to the terminus side (the main PowerCab unit being on the junction station side). Trains began to run after about two years and numerous 'tight' spots and minor soldering adjustments have then occurred to get the stock running smoothly through my hand-made points. Lets just say I continue to 'fine-tune' as more stock gets run.

Yes hand-made points are fun (if you like that sort of thing)..... but unless well made they can be challenging to get smooth running. I have had a mix of good and poor experiences with my points, but I'm pleased I have done them as it allowed me to make a bespoke track layout. If I count both junction and terminus areas I've made around 40 points/slips etc. (the approach described in earlier posts on this topic).

Melcombe Regis station buildings are made by cutting down an old Ratio station kit I had, adding it to an old Hornby station building I found at the club, recladding with suitable Slaters embossed stone and various embellishments. The station roof is based on photos of a roof at Tavistock GW (in Great Western Echo magazine summer 2019), made using 3D printed trusses, brass,  plasticard and embossed stone again.

In addition, my lovely wife has painted a backscene for me which is inserted behind the terminus boards. I just need to print out some townscene building photos which a friend has photoshopped for me, and paste them into the rear of the terminus area as backdrop.

The second series of photos show the terminus track work and buildings, the backscene and the mimic panel.

Sorry about the upside down photo but I cant seem to get it the right way up??

new terminus 1 IMG_0944 (3).jpg

new terminus 2 IMG_0942 (2).jpg

new terminus panel IMG_0943.jpg

new terminus 3 IMG_0906 (2).jpg

• Like 9

Thanks Graham T. The station is a work in progress, with fencing, passengers etc to be done later after I get the town street backscene is in place. I do think the roof ended up ok, but slightly too wide which is my poor measurement 

Andy

Hey Les - great to hear you are alive and kicking in the Waikato. Hope we might catch up in Hamilton show or ours in January ( assuming not in lockdown). Yes have been slowly beavering away and lots more to do yet. Cheers Andy

Hawkinsfield Junction Update Part 3;

Having got the trains going again and fine tuning the points as we go, and finding and fixing several electrical faults with friends  ( I’m no electrical whizz) I felt I needed a break from this serious stuff, so I turned my mind back to things I like doing- the scenery department!

I decided to focus on installation of the embankment and river scene I had in my head from the beginning, at one end of the layout between the new terminus and the junction. This area has been bare boards and frame since the start ( except for the nicely curved track). 
My preference is to keep the scenery cheap and cheerful; using card strips lattice work as a base, hot glued, then paper machie over the top with a 50/50 mix of cheap PVA and water. Yoo Okinawa can contour the landscape as you wish with this method and if you don’t like simply pull apart and redo. Once dry this forms a strong but light scenery base. Then I built in the bridge, green painted the paper machie, then scenic layering, using my preferred mix of cheap PVA, carpet felt, woodlands scatter types, string, and lots of mixed static grass. Next various home made trees of different sizes and shapes. 
The riverbed is painted but water still to be poured in ( I’m trying Mod Podge first and if no good will buy some Woodlands Scenic water mix.

the next series of photos show the approach and current outcome.

cheers Andy R

2E1059C4-F84A-4323-8D21-6758AF4D701C.jpeg

042ED62C-D72E-414F-A4EF-EE274265CB69.jpeg

9B2B5233-CB9B-4F02-8EE0-49BC68BA8176.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Afternoon lockdown in NZ! A couple of ‘playing trains’ shots.

I made videos but the files are too big ( over 10 mb.

anyone know how to reduce the video file size for placement in this site?

cheers Andy R

69F93ADB-48F7-4F83-B578-ECA6C1E5D6DF.jpeg

FBAD7A9F-2989-434F-94FD-1AA05B9CE33D.jpeg

157812BE-66AD-4FEC-A7AF-ADE14ECA0614.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t done any videos but my understanding is that videos cannot be posted direct to RMWeb.  They need to be posted to YouTube or similar and link to that.  10Mb limit then doesn’t apply.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

Hawkinsfield Junction Update, Part 4:

Construction of Hawkinsfield Dairy Co;

I've always wanted to have a small local dairy factory to generate traffic, so the old turntable site at the junction has been filled in and converted to a local dairy/creamery. (the turntable and engine shed shifted to the new terminus (another project!)

The backstory here is that local farmers from the surrounding valleys bring in their milk churns and the milk is processed and pumped into the 4 wheeled tankers and transported out. Old Hornby tankers purchased from Janes Trains in Tooting, London during a past visit and now need weathering etc to service this industry. The dairy photo shows one in pristine condition!

Eagle-eyed will note the dairy constructed from an old Airfix engine shed, an old brick building cobbled together and reroofed, reclad in parts, a loading platform added and old Ratio station canopy kit-bashed at the front. The water tower is kit-bashed from an american mineral hopper structure. Yard and approach road suitably plastered and subtly coloured to reflect local chalk soil conditions, and rough vegetation planted about using my usual scenic approach of paper machie, carpet felt, static grass and flock/scatter. The accompanying photos hopefully tell the story.

Cheers Andy R

new dairy start 3 IMG_0924 (2).jpg

new dairy start 2 IMG_0936 (2).jpg

Hawkinsfield Dairy Co 1 (2).JPG

new dairy 1 IMG_0950 (2).jpg

• Like 6

Update of Hawkinsfield Junction: Part 5;

Reconstructed junction loco facilities;

The new terminus Melcombe Regis needed a new loco servicing facility as befits its terminus status at the seaside end of a joint Southern/ GWR line from other parts of UK (in my story anyway). Hence the turntable and larger engine shed that was sited at the junction originally had to be moved over. As discussed/illustrated above this made way for the new Hawkinsfield dairy company. But also as the junction has a resident shunter to be housed a smaller loco shed has been constructed in place of the former larger one. 

For this I had an old Airfix engine shed kit, which I have finished and weathered and sited on the foundations of the former shed. I also dug out a small loco inspection pit and the usual water crane, coal, tools, equipment etc scattered around it. The only thing I need to finish this new scene is a small water tower and a coal lifting crane. These will come shortly I hope. 

Having basically completed the dairy and junction loco scenic areas at Hawkinsfield Junction I can again turn my attention to the terminus area and get town backscene, foreground scenic treatment and turntable, loco shed etc developed further. I also need to get the turntable motorised; with the help of my mates if and when we emerge from NZ lockdown.

The photo shows off the new loco facility at the junction. The private dairy siding running off to the left.

Cheers, Andy R

new junction engine shed 1 IMG_0925 (2).JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Hawkinsfield Junction Part 6:

Start on the river/viaduct scene

Following the work on the dairy scene and junction loco shed environs I have turned attention to the far end of the layout, where the double track leaves Hawkinsfield Junction station past the signal box and merges into a single track junction, with track separating to the new (future) train turntable in the room centre, and the small single track link back to the terminus single slip for the continuous run.

It has always been my aim to have a three arch viaduct over a river valley scene here. The baseboard was made to allow greater depth in this location. I've now made a start on this, as some preliminary photos below show.

My usual approach of using cheap cardboard strips lattice, hot glued together to get basic contours of the landform is now being done. This will be covered with thin cereal packet card and then paper machie' glued with cheap PVA to form a hard shell. Then paint, scenic scatter/static grass etc etc.

The river scene is to be of a sandy river estuary with the tide half out and an old river stone quayside and warehouse which have seen better days. Some photos of the old river Dart quay around Totnes have been downloaded as a reference for this (as I live in NZ I cant visit it!)

Anyway, first things first; in order to get the landform reference about right I have carved out some of the baseboard girders and also put in a country lane and stone bridge over the single junction spot. The stone bridge will be disguised/softened with trees and shrubs and wing walls. This approach allows me to make the landform sloping down from this high point to the river estuary below. The river estuary will have the new viaduct (yet to be built) as its backdrop. The viaduct also needs to disguise a tortoise point motor at its left hand end, hence the rather narrow arches as shown in my sketch hanging from the track bed. You get the general idea; at least this approach is how I see things in my poor old brain anyway!

Some initial photos to illustrate below.

Cheers Andy R

river valley and viaduct start.jpg

river valley scene starts to take shape.jpg

stone bridge construction nearly finished.jpg

Edited by Andy R
  • Like 6

Update Part 7;

Ive been working on the river estuary/ viaduct scene in the last few days and getting to grips with the construction of a viaduct on a curve.

My research online suggests a range of ways people have built curved viaducts; some I think would not stay up if engineering principles were applied. 
I therefore searched engineering design applied to viaducts on a curve. It is clear that the first principle is that the arches should be parallel. This leads to series of straight bridge bits that gradually step around the curve ( hard to explain but easier to see). I saw a couple of photos of the famous Landweisser viaduct in Switzerland ( which I have traveled over in a tourist train) and it’s sharp curve is in fact a series of short straights!

Meanwhile pillars can be tappered with the outer curve pillar width wider than the inner curve. Using these principles I have started my model which is three arches, so three ‘straight’ bits, combining to form the viaduct. I am currently detailing the front facia with foam board covered with embossed plasticard. The photos show this start.

im now working on the pillars and using the ‘insitu’ measurements to guide my construction as I go.

cheers Andy R

DC4CB4EF-0430-4985-B8FD-E96EE3D1C97C.jpeg

8F29C9AB-BBFD-4295-B5D7-83EFE8CEADBA.jpeg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Update Part 8:

The viaduct is finally in position! It was a bit of a mission as it didnt quite think the whole construction through in a logical order nor account for the tappered track bed (because of the two junction points in this river scene location.

The good thing is that we can always learn form our mistakes and I did....!

The river scene is now taking shape with the viaduct in place and Ive started putting in the landscape base around the viaduct structure itself. The next few photos show my preferred technique of setting out the contours with cereal packet card covered with parcel-type paper and then covered with diluted PVA to give a light but strong paper-machie type base. The next step is to paint his with a solid green undercoat and then start building up the scenic textures (as described in earlier posts above).

Also shown in the photos is the start of the quayside and rocks around the estuary using plaster. Rock mold rocks will be glued into place in suitable spots on top of this plaster then coloured and weathered. Not yet done!

I hope members find this of interest.

Cheers, Andy R

River estuary scene 1.jpg

river estuary scene3.jpg

River esturay scene2.JPG

• Like 5

Part 9:

So, I have now moved to the fun part...adding scenic texture to the formed landscape in bulk.\ as a base for more detailed enhancements like static grass etc.

As described in earlier update posts I like to give a scatter base or glued tuffs of carpet felt (depending on the area location) onto the painted paper mache over which the layer of static grass or foliage matting etc is applied. I think this adds depth to the whole grass areas be they fields or rough unkept road or lineside.

I have now PVA'ed (is there such a word?) carpet felt into the long grass areas and also basic green mix scatter material into the field areas. This is shown in the photos below.

Once dry the fields will be covered with PVA and static grass applied. In the long grass areas the carpet felt will be washed with green/yellow diluted acrylic paints and details applied. 

cheers Andy R

scenic grass 1.jpg

scenic grass 2.jpg

Edited by Andy R
  • Like 4