Hornby Railroad 00 scale Bagnall Shunter

Intercity125

I recently purchased a Hornby Railroad Bagnall Shunter for less than £30 from my local model shop. When I tested it on the track it seemed to be capable of slow speed running on a conventional 12 Volt DC controller. It's maximum scale speed seemed to be about 80 miles per hour as opposed to the 300 mph plus that the generic 0-4-0 chassis could achieve.

My questions are:

1. What modifications have Hornby made to the running qualities of the 0-4-0 Bagnall?

2. When did the changes come into effect?

3. Have other 0-4-0 models received similar modifications to their running qualities?

4. Why has there been no mention in the model press or by Hornby about this?

I'm thinking of using a second Bagnall model for the replacement chassis on a super-detailed "Nellie" tank. I'd be grateful to anyone who is in the know and who can shed some light on some or all of the points above.

Many thanks,

Paul

aka Intercity125

post-7393-0-81547600-1417203283.jpg

• Like 1

1) I have no idea what the actual changes are but all 0-4-0s have it. My Caledonia Pug runs beautifully. It may be the gearing.
2) I believe that these models have had this for 2 years now.
3) Yes they have. 
4) IMHO I don't think there was a need to actually go and tell the modelling press about it, it was a minor upgrade and it's a wwelcome change.

Cheers!
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I suspect it will be the gearing too that's responsible for the transformation in running quality. When I ran the Railroad Bagnall Shunter on my layout, I couldn't believe how smooth it ran compared to an older GWR 101 that my daughter has.

I might purchase the Caledonian Pug example as I think it's not a bad model for its age. In the past, the only thing that prevented me buying one was its inability to run slowly or at a modest speed. Small changes = big benefit.

Do you or anyone else know if the chassis and motor can be bought as a complete unit (i.e. minus body) as I could upgrade a super-detailed Nellie bodied 0-4-0 that I have?

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Here you go,

I think these are updated spares. http://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares_motors_and_gears.htm Scroll down to find your desired chassis. I just ordered one (X8957) for an older model of mine. Knowing Hornby's superb quality the model lasted me 16 years without any issue and no servicing.

Edited by AJA Models

• 11 months later...

I wanted a Hornby 0-4-0 model so I bought the Bagnall shunter. It's a nice loco and it runs very smoothly. But, it's way oversized isn't it? If I measure the height of a door I get 28.5 mm. That multiplied by 76 gives me about 2.17 m!

Does anyone know the real dimensions of the Bagnall 0-4-0DH? Here's a picture of the real thing https://www.flickr.com/photos/45563292@N02/6274647949

The real 'Bagnall' a.k.a 'Leys' seems to be located at the Foxfield Railway.

Cheers from Sweden,

Anders

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I recently purchased a Hornby Railroad Bagnall Shunter for less than £30 from my local model shop. When I tested it on the track it seemed to be capable of slow speed running on a conventional 12 Volt DC controller. It's maximum scale speed seemed to be about 80 miles per hour as opposed to the 300 mph plus that the generic 0-4-0 chassis could achieve.

My questions are:

1. What modifications have Hornby made to the running qualities of the 0-4-0 Bagnall?

2. When did the changes come into effect?

3. Have other 0-4-0 models received similar modifications to their running qualities?

4. Why has there been no mention in the model press or by Hornby about this?

I'm thinking of using a second Bagnall model for the replacement chassis on a super-detailed "Nellie" tank. I'd be grateful to anyone who is in the know and who can shed some light on some or all of the points above.

Many thanks,

Paul

aka Intercity125

Resurrecting an old thread because I've just got hold of two Bagnall's courtesy of the Hawkin's Bazaar Great Hornby Sell-off and came across this while looking for information on them.

They both run very nicely without the Scalextric/scalded cat behaviour of older Hornby Railroad 0-4-0s.

I have a few WCR Pugs split from sets that I bought recently which show similar behaviour. I was a bit surprised at first and wondered if it was a fault.

A quick web search suggested that indeed Hornby have tamed the 0-4-0.

I know that lots of people here wouldn't want one, but they are available very cheaply and can be turned into something quite nice. And I've seen a fair bit of discussion on how to slow them down, including at least one person who's built a little gearbox. So I'm rather surprised that this positive change seems to have been made so quietly.

It seems that the change is in the motor. Despite comments about re-gearing, they are the same inside as their faster cousins (little motor driving the same worm gear and cog on the axle). And the service sheets haven't changed.

So it must be the motor - either there is a tiny gearbox inside the motor or there is some other redesign. It looks identical though.

My problem is this: as Hornby don't seem to have changed the part number to correspond with the change, how do I get slow-speed spares, either to replace a worn-out one in a slow-speed engine or to re-motor a high-speed one? If I buy a replacement motor it seems as if it's pot luck.

If anyone does know, I'd be most interested...

(Also, while I'm here, it's interesting that the 06 body fits over the cylinders of a steam 0-4-0 chassis, but the Bagnall has a modified chassis with no cylinders, giving space for the steps. So it's probably a better bet for scratchbuilding an 0-4-0 diesel shunter than the 06 is).

Got to admit to being surprised at the running qualities of my £13.49 caley pug, again from Hawkins, bought as a replacement for my first one from 36 years ago!!

I wonder if they will reissue the Huntley and Palmer version ;-)

Edited by kernowtim

The current crop of bog-standard Hornby Railroad 0-4-0 mechanisms are indeed an improvement on the originals.  My recently obtained Caly Pug has a maximum speed not much faster than a Peckett and doesn't leave the track on R3 curves at full throttle, unlike a much older "Smokey Joe"!

The main problem with the Bagnall is that it seems oversized; its huge compared with an ordinary class 08!  Also, the footplate, which it shares with the class 06 shunter is far too wide over the steps.  This seems to be because it has (had?) to cover the stubs of the cylinders for the 0-4-0 steam chassis.  Its ok in a goods yard, but it fouls platform edges something rotten!

Unless you want your passengers to hurdle a 2ft gap!

• 1 year later...

Hey

I've read this this thread with interest & sparked many ideas

One of which is a competition that I have started on YouTube, if you fancy watching and getting involoved please follow the link below

Thank you

Olly

Olly i gave up at the one minute forty seconds mark as the audio was almost impossible to hear! And yes i am on full volume.

Don.

• Agree 2