Barry Slips at (not) Barry

martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for something a bit different but not too difficult to build, how about a "Barry Slip"? Two turnouts of the same hand, reversed and overlapped. They are called Barry slips because they were a feature of the sorting sidings at Barry Docks in South Wales:

2_280655_080000000.jpg

Thanks to Sandy Croall for the pic.

This one is at Beverley:

2_130910_590000000.jpg

Thanks to Mick Nicholson for the pic.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
updated title in light of subsequent info
  • Like 12

There was an article, or rather academic paper, in Scalefour News a couple of years ago showing how the builder constructed such a formation from Exactoscale parts.

What a great photo of the sidings at Barry!  Note the wagons with brake handles not visible so presumably on the other side.

Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I first became aware of the Barry slip after seeing a layout at this years South West Herts MRC show

post-1131-0-27231700-1418928172_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-92004200-1418928188.jpg

post-1131-0-64765200-1418928209_thumb.jpg

post-1131-0-81494500-1418928242_thumb.jpg

Martin Wynn kindly advised me of what it was called as I had never seen one before, and I would also fancy building one. Should be on the must have list for those who love shunting plank layouts

• Like 7

Well I was going to wait until TV overload set in over Christmas, but had a couple of hours free this morning and the challenge was nagging away at me.  A quick fiddle on Templot playing around with B7's and managed to superimpose one on top of another in a head to toe format.  Sleepers were set out to suit and a lo and behold, this emerged a couple of hours later….

No idea what to do with it at the moment as it isn't part of ET plan right now.  It may well 'slip' in there one day, but it certainly entertained me this morning. 

Surprisingly straightforward to produce one you got your head round the various lines.

post-6950-0-07461700-1419006328_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 years later...

post-33958-0-96535400-1521583134_thumb.jpgWhat a fantastic photographic record and what a fantastic website this is. I have to give credit to railway modellers who have produced some fantastic accomplishments in producing scale models of complex switch & crossing layouts. However, I have to point out that as an 80-year old Barry resident, with in-depth knowledge of permanent way and signalling, the photograph was not taken at Barry. The topographical layout of the Barry Docks and wagon storage system does not agree with the photo layout. In fact, the half-compound points depicted do not follow the usual P.Way facility of being able to run straight through the main run with a single alternative path to left or right. Those in the photo only allow a transit from left to through or right-to- through but with no straight through travel possible along the siding axis so in fact they are 'specials'. The photo shows two siding overhead lamps suspended from a long catenary wire which the Barry railway certainly did not have. Studying the backdrop in the photo, there are gable ends of terraced houses roughly on the same level as the sidings and again, nowhere in Barry agrees with this representation. Also the many point levers do not agree with Barry Railway patterns. The other thing is that the wagon colliery owner abbreviations are generally from collieries in the Western Valley of Monmouth. A rake of Tir Pentys wagons lie on the extreme left and that colliery was on the Cwmffrwdoer Branch linked with the Eastern Valley line and I don't think that their coal ever reached Barry. I spent much investigation in trying to establish where the photograph might have been taken and bingo! — It appears to be the former layout at Monmouthshire Bank sidings fan, Newport. The layout actually had two right-to-left through tracks with special double slip, left-to-through and right-to-through but no straight through run and also one opposite hand right-to-left compound with no straight through possibility but the configuration did not comply with the standard definition of a full inside compound or double inside slip configuration and was something that I have never seen. I have a part map showing every siding of Monmouthshire Bank and Eastern Valleys sidings fans at Newport and a full representation of the area north of East Mendalgief Junction is represented on that document. (See attachment). (Sent by B.P.Mills, Hon.Life Member, South Wales Permanent Way Institution).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for that. See further discussion here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2583&forum_id=11#p17809

Andrew Nummelin reports: This photograph appears on page 51 in John Hutton's "The Newport Docks & Railway Company" published by Silver Link Publishing Ltd in 1996 (ISBN 1857940873). It is credited to Associated British Ports and the caption reads "Coal for shipment circa 1930 shown here at the Tredegar Park Sidings, one of the Alexandra Docks numerous yards. The wagons bearing the initials 'EV' are from Ebbw Vale collieries, while those marked JL are from John Lancaster Company, which had collieries at Blaina, Cwmtillery and Griffin."

Sorry I haven't previously updated this topic with this information.

regards,

Martin.